UK Transport Crisis?

East Cheshire.
I'm looking for drivers and have posted an Ad on Arrse as I'd really like some forces leavers or ex forces.

Not a million miles from us so useful info thank you, we are paying pretty much the same but it probably isn't enough to recruit new drivers at the moment

One of my lads was in an RDC down south yesterday, there is an offer of £25 an hour from Aldi down south at the moment. Local skip companies here are offering £20 an hour for day work

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't fail a DCPC, all you have to do is attend.
OK HGV may be different from PCV. The practical was examined by the same DVLA qualified examiner who examined my driving. It was definitely not an attendance course. The pass mark was around 80% correct answers. Our periodic CPC is linked to the TFL City and Guild scheme and is a workbook with a set of fairly sensible exercises if a bit of a PIA. E.g observing another driver, reflections on particular driving and customer service situations, self assessment after one and six months working, scheduling work and rest etc.

As a new and keen chap I have been completing it as I go along, but during induction the trainers hinted that they would haul people in when the deadlines approach - probably on rest days.

OK HGV may be different from PCV. The practical was examined by the same DVLA qualified examiner who examined my driving. It was definitely not an attendance course. The pass mark was around 80% correct answers. Our periodic CPC is linked to the TFL City and Guild scheme and is a workbook with a set of fairly sensible exercises if a bit of a PIA. E.g observing another driver, reflections on particular driving and customer service situations, self assessment after one and six months working, scheduling work and rest etc.

As a new and keen chap I have been completing it as I go along, but during induction the trainers hinted that they would haul people in when the deadlines approach - probably on rest days.

Can't speak for PCV but CPC days cannot be done on a rest day
They count as part of the working week, that's part of the difficulty. Counts as other work on WTD and drivers hours and must be paid time.

This year we've done all, ours online
Company pays for the course and the drivers time
Must be scheduled as a working day as far as rest days and WTD is concerned.

One of my lads was in an RDC down south yesterday, there is an offer of £25 an hour from Aldi down south at the moment. Local skip companies here are offering £20 an hour for day work
Is that good - or just goo in comparison to recent times? I have have no idea what driver's rates are like.

Daz

LE
Can't speak for PCV but CPC days cannot be done on a rest day
They count as part of the working week, that's part of the difficulty. Counts as other work on WTD and drivers hours and must be paid time.

This year we've done all, ours online
Company pays for the course and the drivers time
Must be scheduled as a working day as far as rest days and WTD is concerned.
Yet some companies refuse to pay for the drivers cpc course and make the driver book and pay for the training in their own time ..... oddly enough, such firms tend to have a problem with retention of drivers, I can't think why

Yet some companies refuse to pay for the drivers cpc course and make the driver book and pay for the training in their own time ..... oddly enough, such firms tend to have a problem with retention of drivers, I can't think why
whats the problem with that. Electricians have to pay and take time out for their JIB accreditation, ( electro technical scheme) and site safety test, and every few years the IEE regs are upgraded, and more time off required for either nights school or day time collage. Some company's employing on PAYE pay, but the lads working through agency's, the self employed on the CS tickets have to take time off and pay themselves. Without both the JIB and CS tickets, No work, unless on cowboy company's, or the black economy. I suspect its the same for other construction trades, i stand to be corrected. ;)

whats the problem with that. Electricians have to pay and take time out for their JIB accreditation, ( electro technical scheme) and site safety test, and every few years the IEE regs are upgraded, and more time off required for either nights school or day time collage. Some company's employing on PAYE pay, but the lads working through agency's, the self employed on the CS tickets have to take time off and pay themselves. Without both the JIB and CS tickets, No work, unless on cowboy company's, or the black economy. I suspect its the same for other construction trades, i stand to be corrected. ;)

The problem is that it is the law.

Time spent on CPC courses is working time. It cannot be done on a rest day as it counts toward working hours
All to do with regulated hours and tachograph

Is that good - or just goo in comparison to recent times? I have have no idea what driver's rates are like.

It's very good

Driver rates have been stagnant for a decade or more, Not unusually to see under a tenner and hour for Class1 drivers. Average is probably £11-12 per hour in most of the country

It's very good

Driver rates have been stagnant for a decade or more, Not unusually to see under a tenner and hour for Class1 drivers. Average is probably £11-12 per hour in most of the country
For some reason I always thought long-distance lorry driving was fairly well paid; I had £50k ish in my head!

For some reason I always thought long-distance lorry driving was fairly well paid; I had £50k ish in my head!

Mighthave come from some of your juniors telling you they were getting out to earn a fortune driving for their uncle/cousin.

Daz

LE
There's no legal requirement for a company to pay for the drivers cpc, legally it's the reasonability of the driver to ensure he's completed the required hours, however, as @jagman2 has pointed out, there are compliance issues in regards to working time regulations, each day should be booked out on his working time record as 8 hours in the same manner that holidays and sick days are, companies who refuse to pay for their drivers cpc course are the same companies who would not record the hours spent on the course as "working time" thus artificially bring down the drivers fortnightly & reference period hours, quite often to bring them back into scope as they've been maxing the drivers hours out.

Daz

LE
It's very good

BRS until very recently was offering £9.80 for a Cat C HIAB driver full-time in South Wales

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer

I'll just leave this here for you....

I would love a go on that

What was the thinking/reasoning when they developed that? Or was it just a "let's see if we can..."?

There's no legal requirement for a company to pay for the drivers cpc, legally it's the reasonability of the driver to ensure he's completed the required hours, however, as @jagman2 has pointed out, there are compliance issues in regards to working time regulations, each day should be booked out on his working time record as 8 hours in the same manner that holidays and sick days are, companies who refuse to pay for their drivers cpc course are the same companies who would not record the hours spent on the course as "working time" thus artificially bring down the drivers fortnightly & reference period hours, quite often to bring them back into scope as they've been maxing the drivers hours out.

In the last week I've employed a driver who's current employer is forcing him to do 6 days a week on tacho, every week. He starts for us next month
It isn't uncommon,

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
In the last week I've employed a driver who's current employer is forcing him to do 6 days a week on tacho, every week. He starts for us next month
It isn't uncommon,
London buses don't have to use a tachograph but drivers have to record their time driving on duty cards. We work an average of 45 hours a week over five days. I am in a minority not choosing to work on one of my two rest days a week, but that is because I want to keep my business going until tourism returns.

Latest Threads