UK Transport Crisis?

Jan's DVSA Press Release for those that missed it,

Changes to the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence periodic training
Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) periodic training is to be monitored by DVSA to ensure drivers are not unnecessarily repeating training as part of the 35-hour requirement.

This follows a review of Driver CPC training and recommendations made by the European Commission which the Government has adopted.

What this means for drivers
DVSA will monitor drivers records to identify periodic training that doesn’t support their professional driver development because of unnecessary repetition.

If we identify unnecessary repetition we may take action which could include revoking a driver's Driver Qualification Card (DQC).

What drivers need to do
To make sure drivers continue to develop professionally and keep Great Britain’s roads safe they should take training which benefits them and their job. This will ensure they increase their knowledge of what it takes to continue to drive safely instead of repeating the same training session.

DVSA will only allow the repetition of training when it supports a driver’s development. For example, if more than one day’s training is required to maintain a qualification such as driving dangerous goods.

Working with training bodies
We will be working with training bodies to ensure they are not delivering a specific training session to the same driver more than once unless it is necessary for their professional development.

Highlighted in bold, retraining on drivers hours and digital tacho could also be allowed if part of a disciplinary/retraining process following infringements by the driver, the request records would of course need to be held by the company in case questions were asked, or to appeal a revocation of the drivers CPC card due to repetition.
Chuff me, how many years did it take Trigger to work this out?

Interesting to see how, after the lockdown, furloughed agency drivers are able to comply with the criteria of the Drivers Negligence Insurance the agency should hold. As well as age limits and length of time licence held, you also need to have (from memory) 90 days commercial driving during the last 180. Be interesting to see if the insurance companies are on the ball when the first claims start tickling through...

I asked the same question from an ex Army Easy Jet pilot on Linkedin when he was proudly showing off that he'd gone back on the wagons whilst grounded from his day job. Strange that he didn't answer me!

Hybrids !

Easily to repair hybrids by the look of it. It'll never catch on.
1623618210865.png

Oh, and one of the worse things about drivers CPC is drivers who proclaim they've been drivers for 25,30, 35 years etc yet can't use a tacho correctly, can't understanding simple road signs such as the national speed limit and still think they are living in the days of having 3 logbooks on the go at one time, there's a fair few of them about still ;)

The old chestnut - experience does not equal competence. I've met more than a few in various jobs - "doing it wrong for 30 years".

I heard something remarkably similar today about Morrison’s monolith of an RDC at bellshill. And those weegie mothefvckers have never been helpfull in the 20 years I’ve had dealings with them.
Maybe it’s the solar eclipse thats affected them !.
Turned away if you don't hit your 15 minute time window, made to wait for 3 to 4 hours if you do! I hate RDCs.

It seems a bit odd that there are still large areas of the economy propped up by furlough, taking the government wedge, while others are crying out for staff.

In reality, we have possibly seen one of the biggest shifts in work over the last 18 months since the first industrial revolution took people from the fields into factories. What skill base and ways of working we had in early March 2020 is, in large areas of the economy, not what we need now. It would be stupid to deny this and try and go back to how things were, I sense the 'genie is out of the bottle'.

We have skills imbalances in significant areas as some industries have completely shut down (civil aviation is not coming back at the same scale for several years it seems), and others will be permanently much smaller (large parts of retail)

We probably have some significant regional and geographic imbalances too.

What we need is a way of re-training people from the areas of the economy that are not coming back in the same way, to fulfil gaps in the areas which have stayed the same or grown. I'm not sure having a blanket furlough scheme makes much sense in this context, as I expect some people will end up unemployed at the end of furlough anyway.

Huge rethinks.

Charles Schwab are still building on this site near me in Dallas and as of early last year sent everyone off to work at home. Someone will be asking the question of why they bothered to build the place as the company functions perfectly well with everyone at home. Oh, and they are still recruiting more people that will work from home.

iu

Same with

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Turned away if you don't hit your 15 minute time window, made to wait for 3 to 4 hours if you do! I hate RDCs.
Quite right. Follow the rules or you’re non conforming and you can **** off. Suppliers have screwed over the MOD for years like that when delivering to depots.

Try doing it at the Donnington DFC now:wink:

Interesting to see how, after the lockdown, furloughed agency drivers are able to comply with the criteria of the Drivers Negligence Insurance the agency should hold. As well as age limits and length of time licence held, you also need to have (from memory) 90 days commercial driving during the last 180. Be interesting to see if the insurance companies are on the ball when the first claims start tickling through...

I asked the same question from an ex Army Easy Jet pilot on Linkedin when he was proudly showing off that he'd gone back on the wagons whilst grounded from his day job. Strange that he didn't answer me!

Negligence insurance is not compulsory and usually has a fairly low claims limit

Not the end of the world without it really

Plenty of agencies accept new drivers without the racked up hours anyway

Truxx

LE
Oh, and one of the worse things about drivers CPC is drivers who proclaim they've been drivers for 25,30, 35 years etc yet can't use a tacho correctly, can't understanding simple road signs such as the national speed limit and still think they are living in the days of having 3 logbooks on the go at one time, there's a fair few of them about still ;)
There are still drivers out there who have never taken, let alone passed, an HGV driving test.

syrup

LE
There are still drivers out there who have never taken, let alone passed, an HGV driving test.

Don't forget the farmers pulling 20 tons with a tractor and trailer with no instruction at al
There are a number of large round hay bales lying next to the bypass near me

Almost all are at bends and roundabouts

Last edited:
East anglia terrifies me in sugar beet season.
spotty youths in Fasttracks ( often with a feral female on the jump seat).
towing a drawbar dolly fifth wheel and 28 tonne (ish) of beet ,in some shagged old trailer probably with utterly randomly adjusted brake actuators.
All swanning along at 40 mph with cleat tyres on a narrow 2 lane road with a half inch coating of slime and s* it all over it and 12 foot deep ditches both sides.
Meet him coming the other way and what could possibly go wrong!

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Don't forget the farmers pulling 20 tons with a tractor and trailer with no instruction at al
There are a number of large round hay bales lying next to he bypass near me

Almost all are at bends and roundabouts
16 year olds more like. And a Fastrack can manage 40 MPH.

Truxx

LE
towing a drawbar dolly fifth wheel and 28 tonne (ish) of beet ,in some shagged old trailer probably with utterly randomly adjusted brake actuators.
All swanning along at 40 mph with cleat tyres on a narrow 2 lane road with a half inch coating of slime and s* it all over it and 12 foot deep ditches both sides.
Meet him coming the other way and what old possibly go wrong!
I used to live in the fens. If the military left the roads in that state then all hell would break loose.

Worst of all was them pulling off the fields and accelerating off throwing clods of earth as big as house bricks up into the air and generally in the direction of following traffic.

Dont forget too the regular 90 degree bends in the roads because the original tracks ran around the edges of the fields.

No Boots

Clanker
Meet him coming the other way and what old possibly go wrong!
And now you know why around here the roads are crumbling, have you ever seen a tractor/trailer pulled over or have a weightcheck - come to think of it any check whatsoever.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
It had no impact whatsoever on safety standards.
It was cosmetic.
As soon as we were told that 48 hrs was our maximum safe limit per week, along comes another piece of legislation that says
' Ah, yes, but if you switch your tacho to POA then we will only take into account the actual time you spend driving, ignoring time spent stationery in traffic jams, loading bays etc..'
It actually made things worse, because the amount of times I've heard 'The law says you can work for fifteen hours per day' from some spotty div in an office is unbelievable.
Though to be fair, the amount of times some spotty div in an office has heard 'F**k off, I'm going home' is very believable.
Can you se the government abandoning CPC post Brexit? (IRRC Britain has its own working time limits never adopted the EU) I have only been driving since last July and on the buses rather than freight. The CPC seemed to test competences that governments reasonably expect of professional drivers. First use inspections - searching the vehicle for contraband - safety stuff - tachographs. All things that might be skipped by cowboys.

Can you se the government abandoning CPC post Brexit? (IRRC Britain has its own working time limits never adopted the EU) I have only been driving since last July and on the buses rather than freight. The CPC seemed to test competences that governments reasonably expect of professional drivers. First use inspections - searching the vehicle for contraband - safety stuff - tachographs. All things that might be skipped by cowboys.
It won't be abandoned, its a money maker.
In my opinion it should have been combined with the driving course, as experienced drivers don't really benefit from it.

Daz

LE
In my opinion it should have been combined with the driving course, as experienced drivers don't really benefit from it.
DVSA has already stated that it will not be scrapped, even if it's not the money maker for them the drivers think it is - the reasoning behind it is that they can see the benefits of ongoing driver training and if CPC was to be withdrawn, they would replace it with an identical scheme as they value the concept.

Ideally such things should apply to new and old alike, even if the delivery is different between groups.
It’s often worth making sure that the experienced drivers are kept up to date as somethimes it is found that “The way its always been done” can cause problems and a small change can make it better.

Also the assumptions that underpin some methods can end up changing, so the reasons for doing things may no longer be valid.

I've said it already - experienced doesn't mean competent. Drivers approaching it with closed minds and ears won't benefit, I think any attempt to raise standards is a good thing. As you suggest initial training should be much better.