UK Transport Crisis?

Did that when I just left, it can be bloody hard graft and you have to be careful as some publicans will offer you a pint as a thanks if you drop the stuff to the cellar for them. Normal kegs are not too bad but when you get to the 36 gallon ones (Timmy Taylors came in these) then it is a serious bugger getting them in to a cellar with no hoist.

Did you do the job long? Were you double manned??

Last edited:
Did you do the job long? We’re you double manned??
I was single manned and did it for 9 months, I worked for a wholesaler and it was a good gig. Got to go to loads of Breweries all over the UK picking up beer as well, mainly micro breweries like Polly's near Diss, Black Cat in Sheffield.

Wetneck

Old-Salt
So today I took my truck to our Mercedes commercial garage for routine maintenance. As I parked up I got chatting to a guy from a drinks distribution company, who was doing his daily checks. Just bit of small talk really, but I’ve seen his company advertise.This is on an industrial estate.

I asked the driver what his shifts are like and what the job involves. It’s two man crew job delivering kegs and barrels to pubs and restaurants. He admitted it’s hard graft, but seemed happy enough. He was wearing shorts and a polo shirt so didn’t seem too over health and safety.It’s around the south east, 7am start to 5 pm finish. Mon to Friday with the odd Saturday thrown in on a rota, he said it’s 1 in 5 Saturdays.

Am I mad to consider applying? I’m sure many people wouldn’t want to work delivering for a brewery or drinks wholesaler.

I’m mainly after getting my weekends off,whilst the kids are still young to spend family time with.

Mon to Friday is extremely difficult at my place, long wait so that’s a no go.
Is it the company who now run black trucks with 3 letters on them?
If so then it's an excellent job. I did it a few years back (about 10 now to be honest) and I had a friend working there up to around 4 years ago.
Good job, they had a bit of a wobbly buying some badly specced trucks but should be OK now.
If it's not them and similar then dray can be excellent work if you are willing to put in some seriously hard graft at each drop. A good driver/mate combo makes the job go by very quickly indeed. If you get paired with someone who doesn't pull their weight though you get find it quite frustrating.

I’ve done dray work .

Never done it but my opinion -

It’s bloody hard graft and I imagine it’s a pain in the arse with some of the drops being in some god awful positions.

BUT

It does seem a job that some take to like a duck to water.

If it’s what you fancy - have a go.

I don’t know where you are in the country but is it that hard to find Mon-fri day man position?
How’s your back? Heavy weights in low ceiling pub cellars.

If you’ve had your license more than a year then how about instructing? Not more than 8 hours a day for me as pupils get too tired, Monday to Friday and finished by 3.

Is it the company who now run black trucks with 3 letters on them?
If so then it's an excellent job. I did it a few years back (about 10 now to be honest) and I had a friend working there up to around 4 years ago.
Good job, they had a bit of a wobbly buying some badly specced trucks but should be OK now.
If it's not them and similar then dray can be excellent work if you are willing to put in some seriously hard graft at each drop. A good driver/mate combo makes the job go by very quickly indeed. If you get paired with someone who doesn't pull their weight though you get find it quite frustrating.

It is indeed. Company starts with an L, they have depots around the country.
Is that the company you meant? Is it secure work? Worried incase we’re heading for a recession next year and we know how many companies went under back then…
Especially if people cut back on eating out, going to pubs etc etc ..

Well applied so seeing what happens. Also got an interview with the local dustcart company, near to where I work.
Most of the drivers there seem happy enough, it’s a Min- Fri gig too. I think the driver is the last to finish in a crew, but you rarely see them much after 3 pm.

The hours seem pretty sociable, some of our drivers are ex dustcart drivers. Obviously lots of stopping and starting, tight roads etc etc.

Wetneck

Old-Salt
It is indeed. Company starts with an L, they have depots around the country.
Is that the company you meant? Is it secure work? Worried incase we’re heading for a recession next year and we know how many companies went under back then…
Especially if people cut back on eating out, going to pubs etc etc ..
Yes that's the company. I was down by their Eastbourne depot yesterday. I've not heard of people being laid off there and most speak very highly of them. I'd consider it about as secure a job as you can get in this climate. I know it's based around hospitality but, unless there's another national lockdown, I reckon it's a good bet.
Again. It's hard graft and they ask a lot of you but it's the kind of job where once you get in the swing of things it's a good gig.

Well I’ve just been offered a job on the dustcarts. Job is job and knock and apparently more often than not you can finish before the official finish time. Start at 6 ish, normally gone by 2 pm. One of the big national companies.
Only thing troubling me is the fact that the job was offered verbally. Still waiting for a contract- I know these can take weeks to process from HR.
Basically went for an interview that consisted of me going out for a drive with one of their driver trainers.Rear wheel steer which is quite different from normal trucks. Anyway, all ok on that front.
Got back to the yard- manager basically went through the job description and offered me the job and asked when I could start. I said I believe it was four weeks notice at my current employer, manager asked if possible to give them three as that’s when they were doing their next inductions for new drivers.

So next day, gave my resignation letter to my current manager and that was that. Just a little bit anxious that I went ahead and resigned without anything in writing, but they verbally told me where to be at what time, checked my right to work documents and filled out a new starter form whilst I was there.
All should be well shouldn’t it? I needed to give my firm as much notice as I could and didn’t have time to wait for anything in writing. Is this normal with jobs?
I do know with my current employer I waited weeks for a contract, despite me chasing them up. Their HR department apparently had a big back log.

theinventor

War Hero
Well I’ve just been offered a job on the dustcarts. Job is job and knock and apparently more often than not you can finish before the official finish time. Start at 6 ish, normally gone by 2 pm. One of the big national companies.
Only thing troubling me is the fact that the job was offered verbally. Still waiting for a contract- I know these can take weeks to process from HR.
Basically went for an interview that consisted of me going out for a drive with one of their driver trainers.Rear wheel steer which is quite different from normal trucks. Anyway, all ok on that front.
Got back to the yard- manager basically went through the job description and offered me the job and asked when I could start. I said I believe it was four weeks notice at my current employer, manager asked if possible to give them three as that’s when they were doing their next inductions for new drivers.

So next day, gave my resignation letter to my current manager and that was that. Just a little bit anxious that I went ahead and resigned without anything in writing, but they verbally told me where to be at what time, checked my right to work documents and filled out a new starter form whilst I was there.
All should be well shouldn’t it? I needed to give my firm as much notice as I could and didn’t have time to wait for anything in writing. Is this normal with jobs?
I do know with my current employer I waited weeks for a contract, despite me chasing them up. Their HR department apparently had a big back log.
It's not watertight but might help if you write back to the guy who interviewed you, thanking him for the interview and accepting the offer, stating the start date etc in your note.

If nothing else, it'll prompt him to get the HR process going.

A verbal job offer is binding I believe

You'll be fine
I've taken on scores of drivers over the years, if not in the hundreds, and never needed to put the job offer in writing

HR were most emphatic that if I made a verbal offer of a job it was binding

Being an old fashioned sort of a bloke it was always done on a handshake
In my view a handshake on a deal is far more concrete than a piece of paper

A verbal job offer is binding I believe

You'll be fine
I've taken on scores of drivers over the years, if not in the hundreds, and never needed to put the job offer in writing

HR were most emphatic that if I made a verbal offer of a job it was binding

Being an old fashioned sort of a bloke it was always done on a handshake
In my view a handshake on a deal is far more concrete than a piece of paper

Yes shook the managers hand and told him I was happy to take the job. Then went into the office and got my passport and documents checked. Got told to report for an induction on such and such a date.
As far as I’m concerned that should be ok in that case..

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer

I was agency driving (tippers and hiab) about 5 years ago. I interviewed for a job at Mercedes. (Commercial.)

Interview and test drive, same as you, with no dramas and was also verbally offered a job.

I started there a week later. 5 days of inductions and another driving test and I've got an i/d card and I'm in properly.

I didn't get a contract of employment until after my first payday three weeks later.

This is Mercedes, you'd think it'd be a tad more slick, but It's obvious that when it comes to driving jobs, a verbal or a handshake is all that's required to get you going.

ste14w

MIA

Firstly, congratulations, sounds like you've found something that you're going to be happy with.
I know a few lads who do that type of work, they're happy enough.
Secondly, as @jagman2 and @Arte_et_Marte have already stated, in our industry a verbal agreement is solid enough, nothing to worry about there.
I hope it goes well for you, good luck.

Slight drift, more to do with contracts. Last job before retiring, which required me to drive, but not HGV. At the interview, weirdest one ever. Two people interviewing me, one whom I later found out was the father, seated. Other was the son, leaning on a pillar side on/back to me. Told to ring in a few days/weeks time and thought, no way am I getting this job. Rang as asked, and still having a strong Weegie accent was surprised to be asked who I was?! This was in Devon, so although other Weegies abide here, I didn't think too many of us had applied for this particular job! Much to my surprise I got it. No handshake, just fine start whenever.

I was happy with this arrangement, not so someone joining a few years later. let's call him Jim, as that was his name. After Jim started he started quizzing me. Hours, holidays, sick pay and contract. I laughed and told him nothing like that existed, well not on paper anyway. It was a small family business, who operated the old fashioned way, their word was their bond. Jim finally accepted this, and I must say I thoroughly found them to be a good firm to work for. I also enjoyed their old fashioned approach to employment. Drift over.

ste14w

MIA
Slight drift, more to do with contracts. Last job before retiring, which required me to drive, but not HGV. At the interview, weirdest one ever. Two people interviewing me, one whom I later found out was the father, seated. Other was the son, leaning on a pillar side on/back to me. Told to ring in a few days/weeks time and thought, no way am I getting this job. Rang as asked, and still having a strong Weegie accent was surprised to be asked who I was?! This was in Devon, so although other Weegies abide here, I didn't think too many of us had applied for this particular job! Much to my surprise I got it. No handshake, just fine start whenever.

I was happy with this arrangement, not so someone joining a few years later. let's call him Jim, as that was his name. After Jim started he started quizzing me. Hours, holidays, sick pay and contract. I laughed and told him nothing like that existed, well not on paper anyway. It was a small family business, who operated the old fashioned way, their word was their bond. Jim finally accepted this, and I must say I thoroughly found them to be a good firm to work for. I also enjoyed their old fashioned approach to employment. Drift over.
Probably the best firms to work for.
I'm working for one now, no HR, no legal dept., just dad and two sons in the office, couple of transport planners and the bosses dog.
We deliver their customers stuff, they pay us every Friday.
Works for me.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm working for one now, no HR, no legal dept., just dad and two sons in the office, couple of transport planners and the bosses dog.
Works for me.
How can you possibly work for a company with no HR policies, no one to enforce or mediate them?? I bet no health and safety manual either! Things simply cannot be progressing smoothly without HR to grease the wheels. What if, one day, one of the guys comes in wearing a dress, demanding to be called by their preferred pronouns and use the ladies bogs? What then eh? No HR to resolve any issues and handle things delicately!

The latest on the shortage of examiners and driving tests.

Here in South Wales DSA have been running a recruitment campaign for a few weeks which has resulted in not a single enquiry. Not one.

The upshot of the shortage of HGV tests is that our driving school can only get a very few tests a week. So now we are only offering 40 hour car to C+E courses as they are the only ones lucrative enough to pay out instructors. Those who need Cat C/ C1/D1 cannot get a course, test or license through us.

If the number of available tests continues to fall then redundancies are on the cards, this despite long student waiting lists and an ongoing shortage of HGV drivers. Requests to HM forces to help out are being ignored probably because the forces think they may need lots of soldiers quite soon.

Should a student fail the test then a retest may not be available for 10 weeks.

The Minister for Transport seems to be far too busy to do anything about this.

Truxx

LE
The latest on the shortage of examiners and driving tests.

Here in South Wales DSA have been running a recruitment campaign for a few weeks which has resulted in not a single enquiry. Not one.

The upshot of the shortage of HGV tests is that our driving school can only get a very few tests a week. So now we are only offering 40 hour car to C+E courses as they are the only ones lucrative enough to pay out instructors. Those who need Cat C/ C1/D1 cannot get a course, test or license through us.

If the number of available tests continues to fall then redundancies are on the cards, this despite long student waiting lists and an ongoing shortage of HGV drivers. Requests to HM forces to help out are being ignored probably because the forces think they may need lots of soldiers quite soon.

Should a student fail the test then a retest may not be available for 10 weeks.

The Minister for Transport seems to be far too busy to do anything about this.
Worth noting too that military DDE are running flat out servicing the needs of the services.

Works for me.
I was with them for 7 and a bit years. During that time I wasn't sick once. SWMBO however, was in hospital on six occasions, and was not employed by them. I took time out to help with her recovery. I was paid my full wages. Things like that are worth more than any contract.

Latest Threads