UK Transport Crisis?

ste14w

MIA
I just thought that I'd mention it again but I'm still waiting for them twats at the DVLA to return my licence to me. Over 6 months now.
That's disgraceful.
It might be worth applying again, as it sounds like yours may be lost in a big pile shoved away in a corner.

I’m assuming your company paid parking tickets? I always felt sorry for drivers getting tickets , when they were making deliveries. Especially guys delivering barrels of beer to pubs for example.
Then again this is the UK, there’s no dispensation or common sense when it comes to things like that.

Lots do, city centre deliveries are more or less impossible without getting the odd one

Even when loading bays are available they are usually full of taxis

ste14w

MIA
Mine took 4 days

Should I complain?

ETA applying again, ideally online, is a good shout
I'd definitely complain, it'll keep them on their toes.

no f in beer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'd definitely complain, it'll keep them on their toes.

They keep forgetting to put my C+E cat back on my licence, but i refuse point blank to complain.

I did think they had just put my application in file 13, 6 months is a bit long

Had a knock today. Damaged my front near side wheel arch guard. Hit a wall in a loading area. Felt gutted, especially after having a little prang two weeks ago.
Saw the TM about it as I was clocking off. I’d gone a year with no knocks too..

Just do what seems common in todays world.

Simply blame whoever built the wall where they did.

ste14w

MIA
They keep forgetting to put my C+E cat back on my licence, but i refuse point blank to complain.

I did think they had just put my application in file 13, 6 months is a bit long
Six months is far too long, I think it's been lost.
Renewed mine last Sept., took six days.

My job as said is ok. I’ve just done my 6 months probation, and only in the last two weeks had two knocks! First actual hgv job since getting my licence in the mob- never thought I’d drive a truck again !

The thing about truck driving is- if you’re prepared to do a bit of manual labour, you can even in class 2 work get a job paying over £30k, even as a newbie.

My job is roll on roll offs for council household sites. Based at a waste transfer depot.In theory a simple job, but the sites can be very tight, reversing containers into small gaps.

Six months on and I’m still learning. One thing I’ve learnt is if I’m picking up the bin and it’s in a precarious position, that it could involve damaging something, it’s best to call the office, admit defeat and let one of the more experienced guys do it.
Might get a few guys from the office but better that than wrecking things.

Unfortunately places have habits of placing posts and bollards pretty much everywhere.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
My job as said is ok. I’ve just done my 6 months probation, and only in the last two weeks had two knocks! First actual hgv job since getting my licence in the mob- never thought I’d drive a truck again !

The thing about truck driving is- if you’re prepared to do a bit of manual labour, you can even in class 2 work get a job paying over £30k, even as a newbie.

My job is roll on roll offs for council household sites. Based at a waste transfer depot.In theory a simple job, but the sites can be very tight, reversing containers into small gaps.

Six months on and I’m still learning. One thing I’ve learnt is if picking up the bin is in a very tight position, that it would involve damaging something, it’s best to call the office, admit defeat and let one of the experience led guys do it.

Unfortunately places have habits of placing posts and bollards pretty much everywhere.
Great approach. Well done.

Oh dear oh dear…

Not only did the driver strike the bridge, he also sprawled paint along the road. A job well done.

Does he get two prizes for that one?!

Reminds me of that song Nights in white satin by the Moody Blues…!!

Pretty sure I was there last week

If so it has a huge matrix sgn that lights up if you are to tall for that bridge

It does, I work about a mile away from the bridge, it regularly causes hassle on the A5 when it gets smashed into and crpples the road network for hours.

Thought it was that one

The matrix was shouting at me about a week ago
It's hard to miss
I was heading for the industrial estate so no issue for with a 15 foot 3 inch trailer

2000AD

War Hero
Thought it was that one

The matrix was shouting at me about a week ago
It's hard to miss
I was heading for the industrial estate so no issue for with a 15 foot 3 inch trailer
There are light boards on both sides of the bridge on the A5 and on the A47 approach to Dodwells roundabout well in advance of it, giving every option to avoid it. Seems to be clattered at least once a month!

15 ft 3?

How very dare you.

Get that converted to metric and report for re-training.

Imperial will do me
All the signage is in feet!

I did have the unfortunate problem a few weeks ago when the satnav froze and I guessed which way to go and it led to a 15 foot 3 bridge. Nowhere to turn round

Dropped the air on the tractor unit and the trailer.....
Job jobbed

Truxx

LE
Imperial will do me
All the signage is in feet!

I did have the unfortunate problem a few weeks ago when the satnav froze and I guessed which way to go and it led to a 15 foot 3 bridge. Nowhere to turn round

Dropped the air on the tractor unit and the trailer.....
Job jobbed
Tank transporting was ruled by bridges: either ensuring they were strong enough to go over, or high enough to go under.

Imagine the scene. Ex Fusileer "Budgie" Mc Somethingorother has got his Stalwart carrying transporter wedged under a bridge.

"Let the tyres down" says the SSM before zooming off on his white bike.

Two hours later and Budgie is just packing his airline away, having let the air out of all 26 wheels, then re-inflated them.

"Not the tank transporter ones idiot - the Stalwart ones"

Good old Budgie.

Well the shortage of HGV test examiners has finally bitten me.

Here in S Wales they only get paid £27k a year and many have left to earn much more as commercial drivers. The upshot of this is that whilst our driving school needs 15 or so tests a week we’re now down to half that.

So whilst the country is still short of HGV drivers, and we have applications for driving courses by the hundred, we cannot train them because DSA cannot test and thus cannot license them and I have had my hours dramatically cut.

Fewer hours doesn’t present a serious problem for me as I will go agency driving instead but the system needs close attention to get it fixed somehow and there appears to be little enthusiasm from the minister for transport to do anything constructive .

Latest Threads