UK Transport Crisis?

D

Deleted 184863

Who doesn't want to do nothing for free money?

Apart from most people on Arrse, obviously.

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but licence.​

John Milton, The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates

It’ll be the sat-nav’s fault because either
A: the driver has not bothered to put the length/width/height & weight into his commercial spec device , or
B: the knob is running with a car spec unit

Unfortunately, as we know , all too often if the sat-nav says go , they just do
It's an odd one this.

Tesco hav a sat nav sort of gadget fitted to all their trucks. It shows you the route to follow (and you are issued with paper instructions should it fail) although it doesn't correct you if you go off course. Any deviation needs to be authorised by Transport Office.

He's wearing Tesco uniform so he's not an agency driver and is probably familiar with all of the routes and stores in his area.

And judging by his expression he's not too upset about what he's done or the impending disciplinary action about to be taken against him for diverting from authorised routes.

I just thought that I'd mention it again but I'm still waiting for them twats at the DVLA to return my licence to me. Over 6 months now.
I'm not surprised. I'm hearing of job offers being withdrawn because of delays issuing licenses.

We're still struggling to get tests here in S Wales. My regular test centre in Llantrisant now has trucks coming in from as far afield as Fishguard to get a test.

We're applying for tests in Newport and even Bristol without much success and are lobbying the Transport office to have military examiners again although I suspect the forces are keen to hold onto as many of their soldiers as they can right now.

The situation is bad and getting rapidly worse. We need 15 tests a week to stay in business and are getting half that.

Has one done any work for Bidfood and the likes? Is it realistically planned for drivers to complete their delivery?
Seems they frequently recruit, but the money offered is good- £37 k per year. The company admit there’s some hard work involved on their website.

Has one done any work for Bidfood and the likes? Is it realistically planned for drivers to complete their delivery?
Seems they frequently recruit, but the money offered is good- £37 k per year. The company admit there’s some hard work involved on their website.
Drove for Brake Bros for a while which is similar

Yes the delivery runs are fairly realistic
Usually spend more time unloading than driving and can be physically heavy going with cages and tail lifts

Fairly good money for the work though

I just thought that I'd mention it again but I'm still waiting for them twats at the DVLA to return my licence to me. Over 6 months now.

Hope you don't get your licence revoked because they've spent too much time processing it as happened to me

I'm hoping it doesn't happen again this year, simply renewing a medical licence seems beyond them without getting your MP involved

Drove for Brake Bros for a while which is similar

Yes the delivery runs are fairly realistic
Usually spend more time unloading than driving and can be physically heavy going with cages and tail lifts

Fairly good money for the work though

Thanks Jagman. They seem to be recruiting constantly, I guess that’s because of the shortage and possibly some people don’t want the hard graft involved.
The days are generally Mon- Fri and the pay is over £37k. Only got that info from the website.
What sort of hours and shifts did you do at Brakes brothers? I think they’re a similar company, as you said.

Thanks Jagman. They seem to be recruiting constantly, I guess that’s because of the shortage and possibly some people don’t want the hard graft involved.
The days are generally Mon- Fri and the pay is over £37k. Only got that info from the website.
What sort of hours and shifts did you do at Brakes brothers? I think they’re a similar company, as you said.

Monday to Friday days at Brakes
The depot I worked at was 180 trucks and 200 odd drivers so they always struggled to have enough, hence the constant recruitment

Had a knock today. Damaged my front near side wheel arch guard. Hit a wall in a loading area. Felt gutted, especially after having a little prang two weeks ago.
Saw the TM about it as I was clocking off. I’d gone a year with no knocks too..

Attachments

• CE1022BC-33D1-48A7-82F7-0307B06CF2DB.jpeg
    CE1022BC-33D1-48A7-82F7-0307B06CF2DB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
Had a knock today. Damaged my front near side wheel arch guard. Hit a wall in a loading area. Felt gutted, especially after having a little prang two weeks ago.

Shit happens dude

It happens to the everyone sooner or later

Yeh.
Parking tickets acceptable and wing mirrors being knocked off routine

I’m assuming your company paid parking tickets? I always felt sorry for drivers getting tickets , when they were making deliveries. Especially guys delivering barrels of beer to pubs for example.
Then again this is the UK, there’s no dispensation or common sense when it comes to things like that.

ste14w

MIA
That's not serious damage, although I understand why you'd be annoyed with yourself.
Two prangs in three weeks, but I bet you'll go another couple of years now without one.
As Jagman said, we all do it, in reality, it's expected.
Nobody was hurt, soldier on.

That's not serious damage, although I understand why you'd be annoyed with yourself.
Two prangs in three weeks, but I bet you'll go another couple of years now without one.
As Jagman said, we all do it, in reality, it's expected.
Nobody was hurt, soldier on.

Thanks Ste14w. You really do need lots of concentration in this industry..

ste14w

MIA
Thanks Ste14w. You really do need lots of concentration in this industry..
You need eyes everywhere mate, the truth is, we avert far more accidents than we cause, but obviously, that is never taken into account.

no f in beer

War Hero
Book Reviewer

If it is any comfort. I had to renew my licence (medical, every 3 years) - it was due in January, so i sent all the paperwork off in middle of Nov 21. Got my licence back on Thursday last week!!!

I got a letter on Saturday to say the Process had been completed and my licence should be with me in a week or two :)

Latest Threads