UK Transport Crisis?

Price rises all round, the supermarkets aren't going to swallow it.
When I supplied drivers to Tesco they put the rates up £1 ph in the run up to Christmas to attract a bigger driver pool. They dropped it £1.50 ph after Christmas (AFTER taking a brown envelope), take it or leave it. Wish I was still in the industry. Rates have gone up £7 ph, take it or leave it.

Daz

LE
Jan's DVSA Press Release for those that missed it,

Changes to the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence periodic training
Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) periodic training is to be monitored by DVSA to ensure drivers are not unnecessarily repeating training as part of the 35-hour requirement.

This follows a review of Driver CPC training and recommendations made by the European Commission which the Government has adopted.

What this means for drivers
DVSA will monitor drivers records to identify periodic training that doesn’t support their professional driver development because of unnecessary repetition.

If we identify unnecessary repetition we may take action which could include revoking a driver's Driver Qualification Card (DQC).

What drivers need to do
To make sure drivers continue to develop professionally and keep Great Britain’s roads safe they should take training which benefits them and their job. This will ensure they increase their knowledge of what it takes to continue to drive safely instead of repeating the same training session.

DVSA will only allow the repetition of training when it supports a driver’s development. For example, if more than one day’s training is required to maintain a qualification such as driving dangerous goods.

Working with training bodies
We will be working with training bodies to ensure they are not delivering a specific training session to the same driver more than once unless it is necessary for their professional development.

Highlighted in bold, retraining on drivers hours and digital tacho could also be allowed if part of a disciplinary/retraining process following infringements by the driver, the request records would of course need to be held by the company in case questions were asked, or to appeal a revocation of the drivers CPC card due to repetition.

This bloke is mustard. Imagine 12 hours on this, uphill & down dale.

As a youth we had a Lambourne Super 6 horse box on a Commer coach chassis with a TS3 in.
splitter toggle on the gear leaver and six plus reverse engraved on the top.
Acellerating fron a-standing start was the aural equilvilant of a truck impersonating a TZ Yamaha launching .
They don’t make em like that anymore,,,,,sigh.

Truxx

LE
Loads on your mind there. Not so bad for planned situations like slowing for a junction or changing down for an ascent, but remembering where you are after a sudden stop after the lights change on you is different.
I used to drive a double drive heavy ballast tractor, and to be honest after a while it just became automatic. If you had to think about it you would be too late for a clean change. On ascents as long as you were somewhere near the middle gears you could run a full power dowshift in a split second.

This, however, is not advisable when coming up fully loaded through Hartney Whitney attempting to get from the M3 to the M4 and doing it with so much oomph that the foremost rear axle, located not by separate radius arms but big knuckle ends of the springs located into bloody great sockets instead of spring hangars, pulls itself off the ends of the springs.

Amazing what you can do with a 20 ton jack and a set of ratchet straps....

But you are right, boxes like that really made you read the road and concentrate, and for what it is worth I think that is an advantage.

Truxx

LE
As a youth we had a Lambourne Super 6 horse box on a Commer coach chassis with a TS3 in.
splitter toggle on the gear leaver and six plus reverse engraved on the top.
Acellerating fron a-standing start was the aural equilvilant of a truck impersonating a TZ Yamaha launching .
They don’t make em like that anymore,,,,,sigh.
Yet more fun facts. The TS in TS3 stood for "Tilling Stevens"

Truxx

LE

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) periodic training is to be monitored by DVSA to ensure drivers are not unnecessarily repeating training as part of the 35-hour requirement.

This follows a review of Driver CPC training and recommendations made by the European Commission which the Government has adopted.

What this means for drivers
DVSA will monitor drivers records to identify periodic training that doesn’t support their professional driver development because of unnecessary repetition.

If we identify unnecessary repetition we may take action which could include revoking a driver's Driver Qualification Card (DQC).

What drivers need to do
To make sure drivers continue to develop professionally and keep Great Britain’s roads safe they should take training which benefits them and their job. This will ensure they increase their knowledge of what it takes to continue to drive safely instead of repeating the same training session.

DVSA will only allow the repetition of training when it supports a driver’s development. For example, if more than one day’s training is required to maintain a qualification such as driving dangerous goods.

Working with training bodies
We will be working with training bodies to ensure they are not delivering a specific training session to the same driver more than once unless it is necessary for their professional development.

Highlighted in bold, retraining on drivers hours and digital tacho could also be allowed if part of a disciplinary/retraining process following infringements by the driver, the request records would of course need to be held by the company in case questions were asked, or to appeal a revocation of the drivers CPC card due to repetition.
Epic failure to do the right thing here.

I wonder what other profession has government mandated and now policed continuous professional development?

RTU'd

LE
Well let these 2 at the crisis and it will be.................................................................

.....................carnage

Can’t help thinking reading this thread that this is another combat indicator that the inflation genie is about to escape the lamp. British businesses have benefited massively from access to cheap labour for twenty years or so and have built organisations that are profitable because labour is cheap.

The lack of supply of drivers can only do one thing in the short term; push wages up. It’s basic supply and demand economics. And those increases will result in price rises of almost every commodity we buy.
My bold. Not only in the transport sector. The building and construction sector are critically short of skilled tradesmen. I got a text for work offering £22 P/H. ( agency )

I retired 5 years ago, and still get job offers. :scratch:

Well let these 2 at the crisis and it will be.................................................................

.....................carnage

I can't tell if that's satire or not... I mean it is Brighton, home of the Looney Greens, but no one can be that dumb, can they?

Edit:
Ok having had a look at the other content from that channel, I suspect its a wind up.

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) periodic training is to be monitored by DVSA to ensure drivers are not unnecessarily repeating training as part of the 35-hour requirement........

It does beg the question - did nobody think about this when they set up the scheme? Or has the training industry been taking the p*ss?

Everyone is talking about the Eastern Europeans going back home as an excuse for the driver shortage.
What nobody is talking about the destruction of the casual drivers that every firm had on their books.

The older guys who are retiring don't want to do their CPC for a couple of days work.
So when it runs out they let the whole thing lapse and lose their HGV driving entitlement also.
Every firm always had some old boys you could ring and get to do a shift or two when you were stuck
They've gone thanks to bureaucracy

I'm 51 held my license thanks to HMF since I was 17.5 I was running kit to Germany and back at 19
I know how to drive a truck I'm a qualified Transport Manager so I know the law.

Without sounding arrogant, what is a bloke who has never driven a truck in his life going to teach me in a power point lesson that we don't already know and then tell me I'm qualified to drive a truck on his say so.

Will I renew the CPC not sure would I pay a fee every so often to hold onto it yes.
But I'm not booking time off work to sit in a classroom getting board

It's not the old boys who are causing the damage to property and stock it's the badly trained younger drivers who are taught to pass a test and nothing more

I challenged a driver last week with a 26 pallet load because he never strapped a pallet and simply shut the curtains
His reason was that they were load bearing curtains so didn't need strapping
Each pallet weighs over a ton
Checked with the shunters why aren't we strapping loads anymore
Driver trainer at CPC said we didn't have to
That's because it's generic CPC training in a classroom on Power point, guys who are moving pallets of crisps are getting the same load restraint training as guys moving pallets of breeze blocks and full goods.
All done in a classroom no practical training

That is a major blue chip company
As Jim Bowen would have said "innn wun"

Daz

LE
It does beg the question - did nobody think about this when they set up the scheme? Or has the training industry been taking the p*ss?
Yes, it's been rumbling on since the start, yes, some people in the training industry have indeed been taking the piss, there was also vested interests in the transport industry who would rather things remain as they are, its easier for them to bung a driver on a course on a date that suits them rather than keep track of what training the driver has done and then book him on a different course*

*Those companies that do pay for the drivers cpc, not all do after all

Daz

LE
Oh, and one of the worse things about drivers CPC is drivers who proclaim they've been drivers for 25,30, 35 years etc yet can't use a tacho correctly, can't understanding simple road signs such as the national speed limit and still think they are living in the days of having 3 logbooks on the go at one time, there's a fair few of them about still ;)

Latest Threads