UK Transport Crisis?

Would that be the Spain with a 5 ft 5inch track guage?

Feel free to consider the implications.

In any event the very best way of moving bulk from Spain is by sea.

Spain does have some standard gauge - maybe there is a main route for freight? ISTR an old system of jacking up whole trains and changing the bogies, which sounds like a proper PITA.

A few years a go there was something in the news about a train coming to the UK from China. Reading the detail of that, there was some trans-shipment on the way.

Spain does have some standard gauge - maybe there is a main route for freight? ISTR an old system of jacking up whole trains and changing the bogies, which sounds like a proper PITA.

A few years a go there was something in the news about a train coming to the UK from China. Reading the detail of that, there was some trans-shipment on the way.
Read back through the thread.

Truxx

LE
You mention BAOR and railheads, and a few posts earlier was mention of the (missing) infrastructure to handle containers.

With the introduction of DROPS - and, before the now common BFO fork-lifts were produced - there was an artic trailer, supporting a system of (separate) gantry frames with hooks on steel wires at either end of the trailer. This thing would parallel-park beside the railway. DROPS wagons - or ordinary flatbeds with twist locks, would park on the other/free side, of this trans-shipping kit . . . and, the hooks/wires on the gantry would swing over, and be used to lift the container off the rail wagon, through/between the gantries, and onto the flatbed/truck. Movement in the opposite direction was obviously also possible . . . as was lifting containers between two road vehicles/trailers.

Detailed description makes it sound complicated, but simple really, and able to operate in small, restricted, ad hoc, rail sidings that didn't necessarily have the real estate to accommodate the turning circle requirements of the BFO forklift.
RTE

Rail Transfer Equipment. Built by Klaus. There was also a flat rack version SRTE but that could only lift a box onto itself drive away from the train then offload it onto a normal DROPS.

The whole set up looked a bit clunky, but worked a treat and half a dozen blokes could unload a train in a couple of hours.

The downside, of course, was that stuff was in containers, and you still had to break bulk. Plus the depots were just not set up to handle containers.

How are they managing this over 2 different track gauges?

Iberian gauge = 1,668 mm
European standard gauge = 1,435 mm

That's why I expressed an interest.

I imagine it could be variable width tracks, on each individual axle, with the wheels moving in-and-out . . . but, that sounds like a recipe for disaster, no matter of how many safety features, locking-pins, are incorporated.

Or, more probably, two different axles (with different track-widths), suspended at either end of the wagon, the appropriate one being lowered to accommodate whichever track width it was running over.

More important was . . . did/do, the Russians (now) have a quantity of rail wagons with such equipment, which would enable them to venture further west, than we all previously imagined?!

If I find the @kinross_special “nocturnal” video, I will post a link

I imagine it could be variable width tracks, on each individual axle, with the wheels moving in-and-out . . . but, that sounds like a recipe for disaster, no matter of how many safety features, locking-pins, are incorporated.

Or, more probably, two different axles (with different track-widths), suspended at either end of the wagon, the appropriate one being lowered to accommodate whichever track width it was running over.

More important was . . . did/do, the Russians (now) have a quantity of rail wagons with such equipment, which would enable them to venture further west, than we all previously imagined?!

I assume that there are a number of different methods, but here is one of them

Spain does have some standard gauge - maybe there is a main route for freight? ISTR an old system of jacking up whole trains and changing the bogies, which sounds like a proper PITA . . .

Pretty certain that "an old system of jacking up whole trains and changing the bogies", was common place between the USSR, and the rest of the (then) "Easter bloc".

RTE

Rail Transfer Equipment. Built by Klaus. There was also a flat rack version SRTE but that could only lift a box onto itself drive away from the train then offload it onto a normal DROPS.

The whole set up looked a bit clunky, but worked a treat and half a dozen blokes could unload a train in a couple of hours.

The downside, of course, was that stuff was in containers, and you still had to break bulk. Plus the depots were just not set up to handle containers.

Found it too . . .

250px-Sidelifter_in_forest.jpg

But, again, it only seems to be a lift on/lift off, arrangement - with no swinging-through from one-side-to-the other, which is definitely what I remember :( .

EDIT: plus more from here . . .

Ekalift-container-handling-trailer-32992_16.jpg

Last edited:

Trains carrying fruit and vegetables from Southern Spain to Denmark have been operating for a few years. There is just one stop, at Cologne, to change trains. They are also used from Valencia to the Nordic countries and Poland.

Also Stobarts announce a train from Southern Spain carrying the same stuff all the way to Widnes where they will transported onward by the company. That was back in 2009 and still runs weekly.

EuroWeekly News reported, about 18 months ago, that extra trains had been operating from Murcia to UK so it has been done for quite some time.

And Tesco started bringing fresh goods by train from Spain back in September as reported in Wales Online.

Any track gauge problems have obviously been overcome and the articles say the journey from leaving S Spain to arrival in UK is 72 hours.

Or, more probably, two different axles (with different track-widths), suspended at either end of the wagon, the appropriate one being lowered to accommodate whichever track width it was running over.....

Can't remember an example, but I think this was tried with street tramways in the early 1900's. The usual British thing where neighbouring towns couldn't get their act together and use the same gauge from day one. These used a sliding wheel on the axle, and weren't a great success.

Truxx

LE
Trains carrying fruit and vegetables from Southern Spain to Denmark have been operating for a few years. There is just one stop, at Cologne, to change trains. They are also used from Valencia to the Nordic countries and Poland.

Also Stobarts announce a train from Southern Spain carrying the same stuff all the way to Widnes where they will transported onward by the company. That was back in 2009 and still runs weekly.

EuroWeekly News reported, about 18 months ago, that extra trains had been operating from Murcia to UK so it has been done for quite some time.

And Tesco started bringing fresh goods by train from Spain back in September as reported in Wales Online.

Any track gauge problems have obviously been overcome and the articles say the journey from leaving S Spain to arrival in UK is 72 hours.
Almeria-London by truck - 47 hours

Sea passage Bilbao- UK somewhere between 18 and 40 hours.

Truxx

LE
Found it too . . .

250px-Sidelifter_in_forest.jpg

But, again, it only seems to be a lift on/lift off, arrangement - with no swinging-through from one-side-to-the other, which is definitely what I remember :( .

EDIT: plus more from here . . .

Ekalift-container-handling-trailer-32992_16.jpg

RTE and SRTE
R.jpg
R (1).jpg

Truxx

LE
Blue Ford oval and white fog lamp covers? In fact, Mickey Mouse add-on fog lamps on a military truck?

@Bubbles_Barker - have a lie down :)
That was the 38 Tonner that I talked about earlier - it was the best of the bunch |Volvo and Renault were the others in the competition) and had that daycab - which the others didnt. As a result it had decent resale value, so as well as being the best performer it had the lowest whole-life costs.

That was the 38 Tonner that I talked about earlier - it was the best of the bunch |Volvo and Renault were the others in the competition) and had that daycab - which the others didnt. As a result it had decent resale value, so as well as being the best performer it had the lowest whole-life costs.

Perhaps so, but it looks fvcking ridiculous with Halfords fog lamps :)

Who pays for the locomotive fuel, and maitenance of the loco, waggons, railway, signals et al?
That's a big saving on the trucks, but one way or another the end customer will pay for it.
The trick would be rip up the rails and put roads in . Trains use too much failing infrastructure in a small crowded country .

I start my hgv job on Monday after doing bus driving. Haven’t drove a HGV since 2010, in the Army. Apart from a recent assessment drive.
Ive got myself a digital tachograph card, I’ve never used any type of tachograph!
Just trying to learn some basics on YouTube !

Latest Threads