UK Transport Crisis?

syrup

LE
to be honest our transport problems pale into insignificance when compared to America's at the moment - Creepy joe is paying people so much on unemployment benefit that businesses and companies all over the country are now in direct competition with the govt for wages and simply unable to cope!

I was reading the other day that California has banned trucks over 5 years old from it's roads as part of it's green campaign
This has hit a load of owner drivers with older rigs who did a load of the local container work and now can't use the roads.

It's not a new problem if you look at the long haul guys from the 70's they were running from the UK to Iran and Iraq due to the issues they were having at their ports with 3 month waiting times for ships to be unloaded.

Destination Doha was on Youtube always worth a watch

syrup

LE
We have record employement at the moment.

The media’s spinning this as a ‘jobs crisis.’

I haven’t seen the MSM picking up on the same issues globally.

Italian tomato crop was poorly harvested due to lack of migrant Labour (from outside the EU) and a shortage of sheet steel for canning.

I keep seeing this in the media a lack of migrant workers.

It was cited last week that farmers in Kent couldn't get workers and were offering £30 per hour to crop pick.
Yet 5 miles up the road the hotels and Army camps are bursting with fit young migrants who've paddled across the channel.
They complain they only get £40 a week and the food is crap
Why doesn't the Government offer them the chance to work in the fields and earn some cash.
Charge the farmer £15 per hour take tax N.I. food and accommodation off and they get the rest.
Just imagine you've arrived and you've already got a job and money to spend.

It was cited last week that farmers in Kent couldn't get workers and were offering £30 per hour to crop pick.
Yet 5 miles up the road the hotels and Army camps are bursting with fit young migrants who've paddled across the channel.
Why doesn't the Government offer them the chance to work in the fields and earn some cash.
Charge the farmer £15 per hour take tax N.I. food and accommodation off and they get the rest.
Because they’re in the U.K. illegally.

Let them out and they’ll do a runner.

Let them out and you need to supervise them.

Let them out and you’re ‘exploiting them.’

The media is great at finding the one farmer who hasn’t planned ahead; left things to the last minute and passing that off as normal.

We’re post pandemic. Italy and Spain have had problems getting enough North African seasonal migrant workers to come in this year.

Why bother coming up with solutions to problems you can’t solve this year but will work themselves out next year by themselves?

Just look what the Road Haulage association has achieved. Unlimited and unending Cabotage. Not a great solution to a problem that wasn’t really there to begin with.

Let them out and you’re ‘exploiting them.’ . . .

I understood, that there was/is no restriction on their movement(s), that they are free to wonder about ?! That they are NOT "confined to barracks" ?! Exceptional circumstances, require exceptional measures, and all that. However, I'd be very interested to see how many would be motivated to get off their ARRSE and "volunteer" to do some work !!

. . . Why bother coming up with solutions to problems you can’t solve this year but will work themselves out next year by themselves?

Good point. Well made ;) .

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

The adverts also appeared here in Lincolnshire. Look carefully though, as it actually states 'with the potential to earn up to.." Fruit/veg picking is 'piece work,' you get paid for quantity picked, not an hourly rate and although piece workers must earn at least the minimum wage, there is no way that £30 an hour is in any way realistic. Rates here average out at £11.50 for experienced pickers and £9 hour for anybody else.

As @AfghanAndy states nicely above, using yet to be registered refugees, as a work force is er, unworkable.

Quick dit.

Back in 19 hundred dark and freezing, as a Police Constable, I was tasked, with coach load of other coppers, to attend a local farm near Maidenhead, where we were told by the supervising Immigration Official, a bunch of illegal immigrants were working.

As soon as we arrived at the field and debussed, they were off. Dozens of fit young men fleeing at the speed of a "a thousand gazelles" across the Berkshire countryside. What fun! We gave chase (well, some of our younger leopards did, me and a mate settled down behind a bush and had a smoke break, we were knackered) but a couple were 'captured' and taken back to our nick. The arrests were not recorded, they did not appear on any charge sheet and the Rules of PACE did not apply. We gave them a simple meal and they were removed in handcuffs by men and women in suits. Quite an eye opener really.

Oz has an extend your visa system where kids work on the farms and plantations in the Northern Territory for 3 or 6 months for an extra year. Seems to work quite well among the backpackers.

endure

GCM

Because it's against the law for illegal immigrants/asylum seekers to work. Change the law so that they can work.

Oz has an extend your visa system where kids work on the farms and plantations in the Northern Territory for 3 or 6 months for an extra year. Seems to work quite well among the backpackers.
It's any farm work (very loosely defined) across the country (most end up picking fruit in Victoria and NSW), but relies on having a steady supply of European backpackers looking to extend their drinking holiday and Taiwanese backpackers looking to make money.

I'm not sure we have either.

Let them out and you’re ‘exploiting them.’

The media is great at finding the one farmer who hasn’t planned ahead; left things to the last minute and passing that off as normal.

We’re post pandemic. Italy and Spain have had problems getting enough North African seasonal migrant workers to come in this year.

Why bother coming up with solutions to problems you can’t solve this year but will work themselves out next year by themselves?

Just look what the Road Haulage association has achieved. Unlimited and unending Cabotage. Not a great solution to a problem that wasn’t really there to begin with.

The agenda is and has been all along to allow unlimited foreign labour in at the lowest possible rates. If paid through foreign agencies, the minimum wage can be circumvented, as Amazon has done.

You watch, all those "temporary" visas will be extended, then extended some more ad infinitum. As said, this, IMHO has been the plan all along.

The agenda is and has been all along to allow unlimited foreign labour in at the lowest possible rates. If paid through foreign agencies, the minimum wage can be circumvented, as Amazon has done.

You watch, all those "temporary" visas will be extended, then extended some more ad infinitum. As said, this, IMHO has been the plan all along.
I agree.

That’s why Germany was so adamant it wanted sooooo many Syrian refugees.

Gravy’s the next brexit related shortage.
Sorry mate, but it looks like electricity is the next victim of Brexit.
Those pesky panic buyers have been at it again :-D

Saw this today on my way back from Hereford.

IMG_20211019_152146.jpg

£30 an hour, great.

Payment to be transferred to the Bank of Baghdad, or Bank of Kabul, sorry, no banker's card, funds only to be drawn at branch....... f******** great.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The driving examiner exodus has started.

At my regular testing centre one of the 3 civilian examiners handed his notice in today to go to pastures much better paid and will be gone in 28 days. The other 2 are considering their options.

The 2 Services examiners are back to the Army and the RAF in December.

The manager was having a chat with the 3 instructors including myself mooching about during HGV testing today asking who might be interested in the job. At £27K? No takers. At this rate, unless DSA can up their pay to examiners significantly, the rate of testing, much vaunted as "ramping up" by Grant Shapps will be declining shortly.

And this is the issue, the Government can put as many policies, avenues it can in place but if people do not want to do it then you are stuffed...that is not the fault of the Government but the businesses for not being attractive enough to keep or recruit staff.

At my regular testing centre one of the 3 civilian examiners handed his notice in today to go to pastures much better paid and will be gone in 28 days. The other 2 are considering their options.

The manager was having a chat with the 3 instructors including myself mooching about during HGV testing today asking who might be interested in the job. At £27K? No takers. At this rate, unless DSA can up their pay to examiners significantly, the rate of testing, much vaunted as "ramping up" by Grant Shapps will be declining shortly.

But, but, but... Austerity. Zero or 1% rises unless you're an MP, natural because some "public servants" are more equal than others.

Going to be an interesting winter.

Truxx

LE

Companies can, and do, have their own examiners. As well as MOD the Roal Mail have had their own testers for years and DHL have just started doing their own

Companies can, and do, have their own examiners. As well as MOD, the Royal Mail have had their own testers for years and DHL have just started doing their own
Err . . . are you saying that private companies can test HGV drivers and issue licences ?!

There would seem to be uncomfortable parallels with the Very Big private company Boeing, being able to "Self-Certify" the safety (air-worthiness), of its 737 MAX . . . :( !!

Err . . . are you saying that private companies can test HGV drivers and issue licences ?!

There would seem to be uncomfortable parallels with the Very Big private company Boeing, being able to "Self-Certify" the safety (air-worthiness), of its 737 MAX . . . :( !!
Bus companies do it. Cardiff Bus train and test their own drivers.

I didn't know private HGV companies could. One wonders why in that case the big haulage companies, Wincanton, Downton's etc don't. Tesco, with a huge fleet send many "Warehouse to wheels" trainees to my company. Might it not be cheaper, and easier to schedule training, for these companies to do it in house?

Latest Threads