UK Transport Crisis?

Apparently Scania are not taking orders at all.
Rumour has it MAN will not supply anything in right hand drive until 2023
If Volvo can't produce then neither can Renault (same thing, Renault T Series is a Volvo FH in a cheap frock)

Don't know how DAF are doing
That's very interesting news.
We all received a text saying that MAN were going to pick up the Volvo deal and supply 17 brand new trucks in December.
Boss man is on a well deserved break in Dubai at the moment, so I guess we'll find out what's happening in a couple of weeks.
I'm not bothered, my Volvo isn't due for replacement yet, but this isn't going to do the industry any good.

Truxx

LE
They haven’t gone anywhere. There are around 600,000 U.K. citizens with HGV entitlement who don’t work in the industry, and a lot who never will through choice.
The industry destroyed themselves with reliance on cheap E.U. labour, which they thought would never run out. When they pulled their Petrol Drivers stunt they thought the Government would roll over and give them exactly what they wanted (Aka 2000). The government being a lot smarter than a box of frogs gave them 5500 visas which they knew would be a disaster, but haulage blameable.
What the government want is higher wages and working conditions which are family friendly, the very thing which the ‘Maximum the Minimum‘ (Maximum output for minimum wages) desperately don’t want to provide. Nor do they want to deal with the infrastructure that HGV driver face daily.
im not sure where this will end or how, but with 600,000 drivers with licences, then it can’t be that hard for the industry to bite the bullet, can It?
Except that I dont think that they really do (want higher wages) if that puts prices up - consumers=voters and I would say that the economy is on something of a knife edge as it is due to covid and the supply chain sh1tstorm in the rest of the world.

Neither do the government want to take on the provisional wing of DVLA nor do they want to sink money into improving driver facilities.

So they are trying to please everyone and would very much like all of this to go away. Please.

Truxx

LE
Is it just me . . . or has anyone else noticed, that the media seem to have stopped providing the oxygen of publicity, that has been "fuelling" the hysterical, self-inflicted, panic buying of fuel . . . noticeably in the SE ?!

Has the MSM been given a “stiff-talking-to”, by the Govt ?!

Were “D” Notices involved ?!

Was the incendiary pratt Brian Madderson, Chairman of the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), prohibited from speaking publicly, and deprived of extending his “Five Minutes of Fame” ?!
Petrol Retailers Association | PRA

Can our correspondents in the SE, confirm what is now the situation ?!

Photo copied for gratuitous "truckie" reasons . . . . ;) .

file.php
Just realised - thats a double drive. Probably with a Rolls in it. Very nice too.

endure

GCM
Is it just me . . . or has anyone else noticed, that the media seem to have stopped providing the oxygen of publicity, that has been "fuelling" the hysterical, self-inflicted, panic buying of fuel . . . noticeably in the SE ?!

Has the MSM been given a “stiff-talking-to”, by the Govt ?!

Were “D” Notices involved ?!
D notices aren't legally enforceable so if the press want to print an article they're free to do so, D notices or not.

We all received a text saying that MAN were going to pick up the Volvo deal and supply 17 brand new trucks in December.
Boss man is on a well deserved break in Dubai at the moment, so I guess we'll find out what's happening in a couple of weeks.
I'm not bothered, my Volvo isn't due for replacement yet, but this isn't going to do the industry any good.

Will be curious to see how that goes on the MAN front. I know they did stop production alltogether for a period this year as they were unable to source engine ECU's

The gentleman who has offered me a job in the new year has said that he may have to buy a 2nd hand tractor unit for me as Scania won't take any orders (he runs S500's only at the moment) I'm not in the least bit fussed and will driver anything, preferably over 500 horsepower

Consequently used prices are up through the roof and bargains are very hard to find indeed.

It's possible, but the media tends to move rapidly on to something else without concluding the previous story.

BTW, is that a bag of crisps in the middle of the windscreen?
Either Quavers or a bag of Opal Fruits.

Will be curious to see how that goes on the MAN front. I know they did stop production alltogether for a period this year as they were unable to source engine ECU's

The gentleman who has offered me a job in the new year has said that he may have to buy a 2nd hand tractor unit for me as Scania won't take any orders (he runs S500's only at the moment) I'm not in the least bit fussed and will driver anything, preferably over 500 horsepower

Consequently used prices are up through the roof and bargains are very hard to find indeed.
If you do get out and about, acquire a fridge. Curdled milk ruins that much needed brew

Truxx

LE
Interesting - Iveco sent me some blurb the other day (they must have confused me with someone not of Yorkshire extraction) Top of the line 460 hp Stralis 4x2 tractor unit for Feb delivery £87000. As far as I can recall that is at least £40k less than the equivalent Scania.

So you could find yourself in an Iveco before long....

Its about time we opened the doors to some other truck contenders. Ashok-Leyland anyone?

The genteleman who has offered me a job in the new year has said that he may have to buy a 2nd hand tractor unit for me as Scania won't take any orders (he runs S500's only at the moment) I'm not in the least bit fussed and will driver anything, preferably over 500 horsepower

The knock on effect, companies who were looking to renew will be snapping up nearly new now.
Or they'll be making what they have last longer.
I'm the same as you, I don't care what I drive as long as it's clean and gets the job done.
As driver I don't pay any attention to the acquisition side of things, so I wondered if there is any reason, maybe tax wise, why some companies always renew after twelve months?

Interesting - Iveco sent me some blurb the other day (they must have confused me with someone not of Yorkshire extraction) Top of the line 460 hp Stralis 4x2 tractor unit for Feb delivery £87000. As far as I can recall that is at least £40k less than the equivalent Scania.

So you could find yourself in an Iveco before long....

Its about time we opened the doors to some other truck contenders. Ashok-Leyland anyone?

I'll whisper this quietly as not to embarass myself to much, the new Iveco isn't a bad looking lorry.....

585824_v2.jpg

Or how about the new DAF XG
cover_daf-xg-addon-chassis-fix-m.jpg

Last edited:
The knock on effect, companies who were looking to renew will be snapping up nearly new now.
Or they'll be making what they have last longer.
I'm the same as you, I don't care what I drive as long as it's clean and gets the job done.
As driver I don't pay any attention to the acquisition side of things, so I wondered if there is any reason, maybe tax wise, why some companies always renew after twelve months?

Fleet aquisition is a funny old thing.

Usually depends on whether they go for lease or buy. This last year has been quite odd as Volvo have been buying back tractor units up to a year old for more oney than the buyer originally paid. I believe other manufacturers have been doing similar.

Liefespan is often dictated by the finance deal and residual values.

Personally I prefer to buy at about 5 years old and run to the death but I believe I'm a bit of an oddity that way

I'll whisper this quietly as not to embarass myself to much, the new Iveco isn't a bad looking lorry.....
I like Iveco.
I used to do the night run to Carlisle with a full load of steel on the back, the Iveco we had never missed a beat, and kept at 56 all the way up Shap.

anglo

LE
When I used to do retail stocktaking it used to distress me seeing how much cheap Chinese tat was in some of these shops , in some cases 100% of the stock
However saying that I spent a couple of days at British Airways clothing store Heathrow ,
Everything had a 'made in Morocco' label which surprised me .
You are going to see more from Vietnam and Bangladesh, from what I was reading a couple of days ago

Bidfood near me recruiting for class 2 drivers. Anyone worked for them?
Brakes always seem to be recruiting, even with a salary of around £35k...

Last edited:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
So no toys and no chicken and no Ikea for chrimbo . Were doomed I tell ee.