UK Transport Crisis?

Spotted earlier today on the move.
file.php

Seems only London & the South East still in the grip of PANIC MODE.
Reports elsewhere in the UK fuel shortages are easing as morons realise lots of fuel available.

Is it just me . . . or has anyone else noticed, that the media seem to have stopped providing the oxygen of publicity, that has been "fuelling" the hysterical, self-inflicted, panic buying of fuel . . . noticeably in the SE ?!

Has the MSM been given a “stiff-talking-to”, by the Govt ?!

Were “D” Notices involved ?!

Was the incendiary pratt Brian Madderson, Chairman of the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), prohibited from speaking publicly, and deprived of extending his “Five Minutes of Fame” ?!
Petrol Retailers Association | PRA

Can our correspondents in the SE, confirm what is now the situation ?!

Photo copied for gratuitous "truckie" reasons . . . . ;) .

file.php

Is it just me . . . or has anyone else noticed, that the media seem to have stopped providing the oxygen of publicity, that has been "fuelling" the hysterical, self-inflicted, panic buying of fuel . . . noticeably in the SE ?!

Has the MSM been given a “stiff-talking-to”, by the Govt ?!......

file.php

It's possible, but the media tends to move rapidly on to something else without concluding the previous story.

BTW, is that a bag of crisps in the middle of the windscreen?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Was the incendiary pratt Brian Madderson, Chairman of the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), prohibited from speaking publicly, and deprived of extending his “Five Minutes of Fame” ?!

file.php
In my little part of SE London, I haven't seen a queue in a couple of weeks and never seen an Army tanker either.

The media got a hammering over their induced panic, so the have quickly moved on to the "No Chinese tat for Xmas" angle

In my little part of SE London, I haven't seen a queue in a couple of weeks and never seen an Army tanker either.
Same in the NW.
A number of people I have spoken to have taken to keeping more fuel in their cars, they used to just run on £20 a week every week. Hopefully if it should start again there won't be the same panic.

philc

LE
Yet another reason for no Chinese tat, Typhoon Kompasu has meant further backlogs for container ships, ports are returning to normal, however 271 are anchored in the region.

Just shows how much crap we buy from China and how reliant we, the rest of the world are reliant on said crap.

Yet another reason for no Chinese tat, Typhoon Kompasu has meant further backlogs for container ships, ports are returning to normal, however 271 are anchored in the region.

Just shows how much crap we buy from China and how reliant we, the rest of the world are reliant on said crap.

While not directly pertinent to the 'transport crisis', I have spent the last few years trying not to buy goods that have a Chinese manufacturing origin, it is challenging task but that said I don't consume goods for the sake of consuming. Our lack of manufacturing capacity has without doubt though compounded the 'transport crisis'.

Robme

LE
Where have all the drivers gone then?

and in the US

They haven’t gone anywhere. There are around 600,000 U.K. citizens with HGV entitlement who don’t work in the industry, and a lot who never will through choice.
The industry destroyed themselves with reliance on cheap E.U. labour, which they thought would never run out. When they pulled their Petrol Drivers stunt they thought the Government would roll over and give them exactly what they wanted (Aka 2000). The government being a lot smarter than a box of frogs gave them 5500 visas which they knew would be a disaster, but haulage blameable.
What the government want is higher wages and working conditions which are family friendly, the very thing which the ‘Maximum the Minimum‘ (Maximum output for minimum wages) desperately don’t want to provide. Nor do they want to deal with the infrastructure that HGV driver face daily.
im not sure where this will end or how, but with 600,000 drivers with licences, then it can’t be that hard for the industry to bite the bullet, can It?

Londo

LE
While not directly pertinent to the 'transport crisis', I have spent the last few years trying not to buy goods that have a Chinese manufacturing origin, it is challenging task but that said I don't consume goods for the sake of consuming. Our lack of manufacturing capacity has without doubt though compounded the 'transport crisis'.
When I used to do retail stocktaking it used to distress me seeing how much cheap Chinese tat was in some of these shops , in some cases 100% of the stock
However saying that I spent a couple of days at British Airways clothing store Heathrow ,
Everything had a 'made in Morocco' label which surprised me .

Robme

LE
Yet the likes of Tesco blame a driver shortage for any issues…..
This is what is known as drivers hours theft, where a 3rd party makes the driver wait well outside of a normal unloading time and thus deprive the driver of (in this case around 6.5 hours of their driver time) their drivers hours.
If a driver fooks around with their hours, it’s big trouble, legal wise. If Tesco’s do it it’s ‘excepted’ as part of the job.
This is a major part of just why U.K. drivers quit, sort out the embugerance and I’m sure enough will return.
Btw during the lockdown, Tesco’s refused to let drivers use their toilets, this is an offence under health and safety legislation. They also refuse to allow drivers to use their Resturant facilities. And the government have appointed an ex-Tesco’s head shed to sort out the supply chain mess that they and others like them have created. So it’s by-by to Xmas then.

This is what is known as drivers hours theft, where a 3rd party makes the driver wait well outside of a normal unloading time and thus deprive the driver of (in this case around 6.5 hours of their driver time) their drivers hours.
If a driver fooks around with their hours, it’s big trouble, legal wise. If Tesco’s do it it’s ‘excepted’ as part of the job.
This is a major part of just why U.K. drivers quit, sort out the embugerance and I’m sure enough will return.
Btw during the lockdown, Tesco’s refused to let drivers use their toilets, this is an offence under health and safety legislation. They also refuse to allow drivers to use their Resturant facilities. And the government have appointed an ex-Tesco’s head shed to sort out the supply chain mess that they and others like them have created. So it’s by-by to Xmas then.
It isn't bye bye to Xmas unless you are stupid and greedy...

Some good points, except the last sentence.
As @re-stilly already stated there is no need to expect Christmas to be a washout.
The press will undoubtedly start sowing the seeds of panic and fear and ramp that up the closer we get to December, but in all honesty unless you want to buy an HGV driver for Christmas, there is no shortage of anything.
Except maybe common sense.

100%.
The lack of manufacturing capacity is causing major problems.
Jaguar/Land Rover have full order books, but can't fulfill those orders because they are waiting for China to deliver the micro chips for the engines.
We were putting five trailer loads of steel a day (about 100 tons) into Halewood alone, that is now down to three trailers a week.
My boss has had to cancel an order for seventeen brand new Volvo trucks, an order that was placed in March, because Volvo can't guarantee delivery.
@jagman2 mentioned earlier a similar situation for Mercedes.
Western governments watched and did nothing as manufacturing was moved China, and now it's holding us back.
Incentives need to be offered so that we can once again become self sufficient in the basics of manufacturing.

file.php
The media is realising that they’re being seen as the bad guy in all of this.

A yougov poll a few weeks back indicated that a clear majority of the population believe that the fuel shortage was all driven by the media.

Mass shortages of food didn’t materialise post brexit that the media was pushing. People quickly realised that the huge backlogs of lorries at ports that the media was pushing at the start of the year were a storm in a tea cup and blown out of all proportion.

The media’s lost a lot of credibility recently, but it’s chums in big business need to get the negative agenda being pushed in order to try and convince people to rejoin the EU at a later date. You also need to remember that most people who work in the media live in the echo chamber that is London elite/Islington. You’ve got more chances of those types admitting that they were wrong than Shergar turning up alive and well and winning the grand National.

Christ, the media can’t even get an up to date pictures on a story they’re publishing.

The media is realising that they’re being seen as the bad guy in all of this.

A yougov poll a few weeks back indicated that a clear majority of the population believe that the fuel shortage was all driven by the media.

Mass shortages of food didn’t materialise post brexit that the media was pushing. People quickly realised that the huge backlogs of lorries at ports that the media was pushing at the start of the year were a storm in a tea cup and blown out of all proportion.

The media’s lost a lot of credibility recently, but it’s chums in big business need to get the negative agenda being pushed in order to try and convince people to rejoin the EU at a later date. You also need to remember that most people who work in the media live in the echo chamber that is London elite/Islington. You’ve got more chances of those types admitting that they were wrong than Shergar turning up alive and well and winning the grand National.

Christ, the media can’t even get an up to date pictures on a story they’re publishing.
They've become more like a propaganda service than a news service.

100%.
The lack of manufacturing capacity is causing major problems.
Jaguar/Land Rover have full order books, but can't fulfill those orders because they are waiting for China to deliver the micro chips for the engines.
We were putting five trailer loads of steel a day (about 100 tons) into Halewood alone, that is now down to three trailers a week.
My boss has had to cancel an order for seventeen brand new Volvo trucks, an order that was placed in March, because Volvo can't guarantee delivery.
@jagman2 mentioned earlier a similar situation for Mercedes.
Western governments watched and did nothing as manufacturing was moved China, and now it's holding us back.
Incentives need to be offered so that we can once again become self sufficient in the basics of manufacturing.

Apparently Scania are not taking orders at all.
Rumour has it MAN will not supply anything in right hand drive until 2023
If Volvo can't produce then neither can Renault (same thing, Renault T Series is a Volvo FH in a cheap frock)

Don't know how DAF are doing

Apparently Scania are not taking orders at all.
Rumour has it MAN will not supply anything in right hand drive until 2023
If Volvo can't produce then neither can Renault (same thing, Renault T Series is a Volvo FH in a cheap frock)

Don't know how DAF are doing
One knock on effect is

Latest Threads