UK Transport Crisis?

I remember your comment, I've been through similar, and I'm glad you were ok.
It annoys me when I hear 'Oh, it's the drivers fault, didn't strap his load properly', yet you, me and others on here experience this kind of idiocy on a daily basis.
We actually avoid more accidents than it's possible to know because of our experience and quick thinking, but sometimes tech can be a double edged sword.
From an engineering standpoint if the load moves it’s either because you crashed or it wasn’t secured properly.
If you follow the guidelines and it still moves under braking then the guidelines aren’t keeping up with vehicle performance.
If the load goes through the cab like that under braking then the restraint system is manifestly not fit for purpose.

If the load goes through the cab like that under braking then the restraint system is manifestly not fit for purpose.

Or equipment was faulty.

Or loading and restraining was negligent.

Or instructions for loading and restraining were flawed.

I used your pic a few posts ago stew to illustrate the joys of EBS.!
delighted to hear your lad is ok.
is he framing the underpants?!!.
Oh dear, the power of "yes, but sometimes!".*

OK, EBS might not be perfect, and it might, once in a while cause an issue. However I would suggest that, on the whole, it saves lives more often than it takes them.

Let me counter your one photograph with a few others....

1623440233082.png

1623440454650.png

1623440488248.png

Is there, even a remote chance, that auto braking on the lorries involved might have made a difference here?

Progress should not be blocked because of the power of "ah, but sometimes!". If, in general it saves lives, then that has to be a good thing, isn't it?

Seat belts don't always save your life, they can kill you if you go into water, but overall, their benefits are clear.

You also assume that technology will stand still. It won't. One of the major benefits for these systems is that vehicles will start to talk to each other in meshed networks.

What does this mean? Well, when vehicles are near each other, they will be in contact with other vehicles around them. When one starts to change direction, speed up, slow down, they will communicate this to the other vehicles nearby. Your vehicle will take the appropriate action before you've even seen the issue.

Again, this isn't going to be quick and there is an argument that older vehicles without this tech are going to be the issue. However, as more and more vehicles come on stream, the roads get safer.

All cars today and, and do monitor for roadsigns. They are going to, next year (?) obey speed limits automatically.

Again, there will be many cars that won't have that tech, but in ten years the majority will.

When airbags were introduced, no cars had them, now every car on sale has them, as do the vast majority of cars on the road now.

Time marches on. Tech gets better.

I for one, am very happy that auto braking is coming to the mainstream for both cars and trucks. Makes those photos much less likely to happen and a few more children might just grow up with their parents if the trucker behind wasn't paying attention.

Attachments

• 1623440373913.png
    1623440373913.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
From an engineering standpoint if the load moves it’s either because you crashed or it wasn’t secured properly.
If you follow the guidelines and it still moves under braking then the guidelines aren’t keeping up with vehicle performance.
Or equipment was faulty.

Or loading and restraining was negligent.

Or instructions for loading and restraining were flawed.
And another possible reason why the transport industry is in crisis is because of things like this.
People don't want the hassle.
I have moved hundreds of thousands of tons of steel over the last twenty two years, and never lost a load.
A couple of months ago I arrived at a customers premises, pushed back the slider and discovered that the 24 ton coil in the trailer well was a good foot lower, due to the well collapsing, which meant that effectively that coil wasn't restrained, as the straps were loose.
Equipment sometimes fails, regardless of the industry or application.

And another possible reason why the transport industry is in crisis is because of things like this.
People don't want the hassle.
I have moved hundreds of thousands of tons of steel over the last twenty two years, and never lost a load.
A couple of months ago I arrived at a customers premises, pushed back the slider and discovered that the 24 ton coil in the trailer well was a good foot lower, due to the well collapsing, which meant that effectively that coil wasn't restrained, as the straps were loose.
Equipment sometimes fails, regardless of the industry or application.

Was it treated as ‘just one of those things’ or was it fully investigated to determine cause? Any solutions offered?

anglo

LE
Oh dear, the power of "yes, but sometimes!".*

OK, EBS might not be perfect, and it might, once in a while cause an issue. However I would suggest that, on the whole, it saves lives more often than it takes them.

Let me counter your one photograph with a few others....

View attachment 580614

View attachment 580616
View attachment 580617

Is there, even a remote chance, that auto braking on the lorries involved might have made a difference here?

Progress should not be blocked because of the power of "ah, but sometimes!". If, in general it saves lives, then that has to be a good thing, isn't it?

Seat belts don't always save your life, they can kill you if you go into water, but overall, their benefits are clear.

You also assume that technology will stand still. It won't. One of the major benefits for these systems is that vehicles will start to talk to each other in meshed networks.

What does this mean? Well, when vehicles are near each other, they will be in contact with other vehicles around them. When one starts to change direction, speed up, slow down, they will communicate this to the other vehicles nearby. Your vehicle will take the appropriate action before you've even seen the issue.

Again, this isn't going to be quick and there is an argument that older vehicles without this tech are going to be the issue. However, as more and more vehicles come on stream, the roads get safer.

All cars today and, and do monitor for roadsigns. They are going to, next year (?) obey speed limits automatically.

Again, there will be many cars that won't have that tech, but in ten years the majority will.

When airbags were introduced, no cars had them, now every car on sale has them, as do the vast majority of cars on the road now.

Time marches on. Tech gets better.

I for one, am very happy that auto braking is coming to the mainstream for both cars and trucks. Makes those photos much less likely to happen and a few more children might just grow up with their parents if the trucker behind wasn't paying attention.

Do you remember the Merc advert, how their new Merc could stop in next to
FA of a second, and someone said, but can the truck behind stop?,
End of advert

Do you remember the Merc advert, how their new Merc could stop in next to
FA of a second, and someone said, but can the truck behind stop?,
End of advert
It’s an issue now. My old outfit had a few cases of someone cutting in front of a unit to make a slip to ( like stews driver had). The truck slamming on the EBS instantly and hard, and a car ( or in one case a 7.5 tonner running up the trailers arse.

Was it treated as ‘just one of those things’ or was it fully investigated to determine cause? Any solutions offered?
Investigated, because I reported it.
Our tractors and trailers undergo six weekly safety checks.
But I'm not going to try and blag you, there are companies out there that have a slack attitude, and will paper over any cracks.

Investigated, because I reported it.
Our tractors and trailers undergo six weekly safety checks.
But I'm not going to try and blag you, there are companies out there that have a slack attitude, and will paper over any cracks.

There’s good and bad in everything, including drivers, both car and truck.

I live virtually on the A1, truck drivers annoy me with their elephant racing, but then again the entire A1 should have had a third lane years ago.

anglo

LE
It’s an issue now. My old outfit had a few cases of someone cutting in front of a unit to make a slip to ( like stews driver had). The truck slamming on the EBS instantly and hard, and a car ( or in one case a 7.5 tonner running up the trailers arse.
A couple of years ago on the A38 a line if cars pulled out to overtake a truck,
they stayed out in the outside lane, a bloke in a German made car decided to
undertake them and run *********** of a tractor trailer unit
why is it always German made cars?

I live virtually on the A1, truck drivers annoy me with their elephant racing, but then again the entire A1 should have had a third lane years ago.
Truck drivers are also car drivers, and it annoys us when we get stuck behind a truck doing 56mph trying to overtake the truck doing 55mph.
My son has looked across at me with a '???' look on his face as dad shouts 'Bloody lorry drivers!!'
I totally understand your point.
But look on the bright side, at least we now do 50 mph on single track, rather than the forty we were once limited to, and the roads are being expanded.

A couple of years ago on the A38 a line if cars pulled out to overtake a truck,
they stayed out in the outside lane, a bloke in a German made car decided to
undertake them and run *********** of a tractor trailer unit
why is it always German made cars?
Yep, the cars that also don't have indicators fitted?

With such gizmos fitted, just how much " in control" is the driver?
All modern trucks now have auto boxes as standard.
This can be annoying for car drivers at junctions or lights because the truck sometimes needs a moment to get into character, and engage drive, which even for a couple of seconds delay means holding up traffic.
Predictive gear change, auto braking, lane change alarms, it is, as you ask, taking more control away from the driver.
I much prefer a bog standard manual.

This can be annoying for car drivers at junctions or lights because the truck sometimes needs a moment to get into character, and engage drive, which even for a couple of seconds delay means holding up traffic.
Predictive gear change, auto braking, lane change alarms, it is, as you ask, taking more control away from the driver.
just had our 20year old mans replaced for brand new scania, tempted to just sit in the back and just be a ba wearer tbh

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Ahh... the German lane...
A lot of the French motorways are mostly two lane, for the most part, they work - why not here? after all, they seem to have the same number of foreigns doing the same overtake manoeuvre...

I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to see what is different to 'over there'.

Maybe a bit away from the original thread, but as has been said, we all rely on vehicles to get our needs and wants to us. My dad and two brothers drive/drove wagons for years and I have the greatest of respect for LGV drivers. A friend of mine (proper boy racer) was put through his HGV for work, and even he came away with a thorough understanding of why large vehicle drivers act the way they do.
The UK has a fairly crowded road system which in some cases has to be shared by everyone. OK, some might be commuting by bicycle or car, but I doubt anyone in an LGV is out for fun.
The entire road-using population needs some education and to stop thinking their bubble is inviolable.
Except caravanners.
If you truckers get some more sponds out of this, fill your boots.

just had our 20year old mans replaced for brand new scania, tempted to just sit in the back and just be a ba wearer tbh
I had a 52 plate MAN around seventeen years ago, with the comfort shift. Loved it.
The Scanny is a top motor but these modern trucks are just a bit.......boring.

Maybe a bit away from the original thread, but as has been said, we all rely on vehicles to get our needs and wants to us. My dad and two brothers drive/drove wagons for years and I have the greatest of respect for LGV drivers. A friend of mine (proper boy racer) was put through his HGV for work, and even he came away with a thorough understanding of why large vehicle drivers act the way they do.
The UK has a fairly crowded road system which in some cases has to be shared by everyone. OK, some might be commuting by bicycle or car, but I doubt anyone in an LGV is out for fun.
The entire road-using population needs some education and to stop thinking their bubble is inviolable.
Except caravanners.
If you truckers get some more sponds out of this, fill your boots.
'Except caravanners'
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D