UK Transport Crisis?

Yet they were still queued out onto the A1.

1.69 a litre, 10p a litre more than Friday. I drove down towards Wetherby and put 30 quids worth in at the un-queued Shell garage.

Ever since that shitheap Wetherby Services opened, I've hated it........ when you think of the lovely small pull- ins that were destroyed, to give out large brown envelopes to the bent councils and planners along the old A1........

Plus the queues are ridiculous, now, I'll take drinks, snacks etc, and just pull in for a piss if I'm desperate.

Took me 15 min earlier to do a 20sec journey after being stuck in a queue caused by these fuel w@nkers!
Plus almost running into the back of stationary traffic on a dual carriageway yesterday.
70mph road, come around a bend doing about 65 & there they are! Stood standing still & I had nowhere to go. The brakes no longer have any rust on them.
Did I mention they’re all w@nkers?

Truxx

LE
Ever since that shitheap Wetherby Services opened, I've hated it........ when you think of the lovely small pull- ins that were destroyed, to give out large brown envelopes to the bent councils and planners along the old A1........

Plus the queues are ridiculous, now, I'll take drinks, snacks etc, and just pull in for a piss if I'm desperate.
I either park.up.in the costa drive through car park if in a car and use the heads in there or else if in a truck just pull over to the side of the fuel pumps and use the heads in the filling station bit.

If the last 18 months has taught us anything it's that supermarket workers and delivery drivers are key workers, and doctors and nurses are just not. If all GPs vanished tomorrow would anyone even notice? Teachers all doing a hour a day on Zoom from home and calling it "work" too.

4(T)

LE
Have fuel prices increased then due to the panic buying? Will the prices stay up?...

I think most forecourts are leased or run as franchised businesses (CoDos or DoDos)*. The setting of displayed petrol prices is usually the manager's decision, and not that of the major brand displayed. I wouldn't be surprised if they took the opportunity to cream a bit of profit, as usually there is very little margin on the fuel itself and they have to rely on shop sales.

CoCo - company owned, company operated
CoDo - company owned, dealer operated
DoDo - dealer owned, dealer operated.

On the greasy spoons, it was Little Chef and Happy Eater that put paid to most of those, there used to be a cracker on the A22 outside Godstone, Happy Eater bought it and stopped HGV's from using it. The Squirrel Cafe on the A303 is another long gone.

There is a good one on the A10 near Reed that normally has classic car and bike groups stop over on their weekend jaunts.

Probably be in the news later

Last night the BBC showed a fleet of Foden TTF's when mentioning the Army coming in and this morning it's been upgraded to a Seddon Atkinson Articulated Tanker.

Is there a secret scrapyard somewhere with all these wagons in running condition
I am surprised they didn't call it a tank...mind you tanker is probably just as good for a journo.

Probably be in the news later

Last night the BBC showed a fleet of Foden TTF's when mentioning the Army coming in and this morning it's been upgraded to a Seddon Atkinson Articulated Tanker.

Is there a secret scrapyard somewhere with all these wagons in running condition

I wonder if anyone in the government is regretting slashing the Army to a mere 70k now. With a supposed shortage of 100k lorry drivers the Army won't even scratch the surface.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Looking at the price of ADR courses and the money you get to be a fuel in tanks driver, I can happily predict that no-one is going to bother to go down that route unless their company pays for it.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer

No Boots

Old-Salt
The last part sums it up for me and many other ex-drivers

In a final call to the government, he said: "Do you want me to go back to driving trucks?

"Give me a good reason to do so.

"Give anyone a good reason to take it up as a profession.

"Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be.

"I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn't pay me enough."

4(T)

LE

I think that even the average citizen has been aware of the issues for many years, decades even. Particularly the really shocking lack of HGV parking and facilities on the motorways & major trunk roads of the country. E.g. HGVs packed onto a strip of mud either side of a layby, or parked on a slip road, because there is literally nowhere else for them to pull off when times' up.

It really underlines the awful "do nothing about glaring issues that have obvious solutions" nature of government and CS at all levels in this country.

- If they could find billions for a political stunt like HS2, why on earth has a bit of cash not been found over the years for adequate roads infrastructures?

- Given the 2016 vote, why hasn't government reformed regulation, tax and the welfare system to bring back into employment all those displaced native workers - across all sectors, not just road haulage?

Still, every cloud has a silver lining. I think for a lot of people, Brexit had an element of compelling government to govern the country and start to fix the structural issues that have accumulated since they started relying on the EU to do it for them. Admittedly, looks very shaky at the moment, with BJ's only ideas consisting of "call in the Army" and "bring back cheap foreign labour".

Just joined this thread, apologies if this has been raised before. Some forecourts/firms are saying the maximum amount of petrol you can buy is £30. That should be the minimum amount you can buy! If on filling up your tank only takes £5, tough. That would stop the prats from causing chaos. If it takes more, you need filling, pay as normal.

syrup

LE
The last part sums it up for me and many other ex-drivers

In a final call to the government, he said: "Do you want me to go back to driving trucks?

"Give me a good reason to do so.

"Give anyone a good reason to take it up as a profession.

"Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be.

"I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn't pay me enough."

Why is his final call to the Government?

Why doesn't the RHA and the other one Uk Logistics or what ever they call them selves get all it's hauliers to chuck a £100,000 in each and build some truck stops and manage them as non profit organisations.

They could take a bit for staff etc and the rest gets ploughed back in to the stops

If you build it they will come

1632832259974.png

D

Deleted 181499

Crackin!! but where isthe Famed Bunter at the mo? seems a bit conspicuous by his absence as another cock up looms? p"raps he's s briefing Duminic over tomorrow"s PMQ, p"raps it'll be the one that starts "long long ago, in a country that i singlehandedly saved from killer virus, climate crisis, nasty people who write about me, im a nice bloke really!! oh, and a Rishi special update on how to make is all feel better about doin more for less? cos they do say "less is more", my missus dont think so tho!!

Crackin!! but where isthe Famed Bunter at the mo? seems a bit conspicuous by his absence as another cock up looms? p"raps he's s briefing Duminic over tomorrow"s PMQ, p"raps it'll be the one that starts "long long ago, in a country that i singlehandedly saved from killer virus, climate crisis, nasty people who write about me, im a nice bloke really!! oh, and a Rishi special update on how to make is all feel better about doin more for less? cos they do say "less is more", my missus dont think so tho!!
WTF are you wibbling about...

Latest Threads