UK Transport Crisis?

Truxx

LE
I sort of retired from it a year and a bit ago, and have inadvertently drifted into driving in the last year, after tax I’m averaging £200 ish a day which is a nice buffer whilst I see how my aeroplane moving Buisness develops.
im seeing a lot more smiles on drivers faces at the moment as well.
I stopped off at Leeming yesterday to panic buy about 500 quids worth of diesel, and there was definitely a buzz about the place.

I think the re-introduction of CB radio would be fun, as well as a useful way of getting early warning of snarl ups.

Truxx

LE
The bigger the vehicle the harder the small rural roads that need experience.
Most hauliers worth the name would be able to work that out I think.

Mind you I was sweating like a para in a spelling contest out in deepest darkest Lincolnshire yesterday attempting a 90 degree left hander on a single track drove road with a 40 ft low loading trailer. Got to do it again tomorrow in the other direction and I am definitely not looking forward to it.

Most hauliers worth the name would be able to work that out I think.

Mind you I was sweating like a para in a spelling contest out in deepest darkest Lincolnshire yesterday attempting a 90 degree left hander on a single track drove road with a 40 ft low loading trailer. Got to do it again tomorrow in the other direction and I am definitely not looking forward to it.

Using Glasgow as an example, there are rural dormitory towns that supply the greater city n suburbs. Milk lorries can keep hedges down, as do cattle n sheep trailers they can also scare the shiote out of granny McMurtry in her wee car

Bigger trailers on the way

Not that big though. Even I would struggle to get that round the bend at the end of the truck parking area at Blyth services.
When I was doing the night trunk up to Carlisle a few years back I saw quite a few going past me, I think it was a company called Saints, down near Uxbridge?
'30% Longer Trailer...'or something similar on the back doors.
In reality, as a steel driver, I've done plenty of long hauls with a trombone trailer at full stretch, no major issues, so I don't see a problem with longer trailers.
Unless, of course, they put more drops on us, then I think it's a terrible idea.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If they are capable of doing the job, then let them earn their keep.
I'd left by the time Afghanistan was invaded, but there must be lads here who served there and know the Afghan mindset.
@OneTenner ?
Few, very few would cope with UK roads, think of the Top Gear India night-drive but with (more) drugs... Besides, you wouldn't want them going across London Bridge

Would not surprise me at all.

The pro immigrant cut price labour lobby is strong. it also makes sure it's voice is the first to be heard.

It actually causes Remainers physical pain that lorry drivers, fruit pickers and anyone else - they are ghastly darling, they don't even have degrees! Some of them have never even eaten foccacia or learnt to ski! - could earn as much or more than them. And the knowledge that we need those people far, far more than we need them, whatever they do.

Mbongwe

On ROPS
On ROPs
They probably won't replace me to be honest. I have a suspicion that I'm just an expensive pain in the arse who spends most of the week telling them what they can't do.

I've already suggested that we change all of the operator licences from Standard National to Restricted and do away with the need for a qualified TM (which is me), I'm quite happy to start that process for them while I work my notice.

Once thats done it's up to them I guess.
Pulling the ladder up, eh? ;)

In the local rag just now

As sad as it is to see jobs go, if a haulage firm goes bust, it really doesn't matter.
I informed the gobby little compliance officer at a company where I worked, when she kept telling us that the boss will lock the gates and close up if we keep asking for a pay rise, that it didn't matter to us if he did.
The customers would still be there, and they would still need their stuff moved.
A rival company will step in, employ us to do the jobs we were already doing, and life would carry on.