UK Transport Crisis?

I've spent a lot of time lately driving, particularly on nights

Compared to running the show it's a doddle and I'm guaranteed time off without the phone ringing 24/7

Maybe there’s scope for a bit of negotiation? Maybe a 2IC to share the on-call liability, perhaps a bit more money? If you have the licences and say “this is just not working for me, we fix it or I’m out the door - today”, perhaps (like the prospect of no tyres), they’re prepared to put some money towards a solution and keep the trucks rolling?

Just a thought.

A mate who works at Asda, Cardiff Bay tells me that there was a proper fist fight on the petrol station forecourt last night after accusations of queue jumping.

I did my CPC earlier this year upon returning to the haulage industry and the content was largely pointless shite.
Sounds just like most of the mandatory E&D, H&S and Caring for Others type ‘training’ we had to suffer year on year at Army HQ, usually delivered by an over enthusiastic HR type, using a flip chart and marker pens. Get those boxes ticked or else!
I used to sink into a pit of despair attending these ‘educational’ half day courses, particularly when the multi coloured sticky pads came out and we were invited to write our thoughts down for the benefit of the rest of the class.
Utterly pointless and time wasting, but hey, it made us better human beings. :roll:

Maybe there’s scope for a bit of negotiation? Maybe a 2IC to share the on-call liability, perhaps a bit more money? If you have the licences and say “this is just not working for me, we fix it or I’m out the door - today”, perhaps (like the prospect of no tyres), they’re prepared to put some money towards a solution and keep the trucks rolling?

Just a thought.

Done all that to be honest. I put my notice in months ago and was talked out of it.

It's not getting better so its time to put myself first

kieren21

Clanker
Sounds just like most of the mandatory E&D, H&S and Caring for Others type ‘training’ we had to suffer year on year at Army HQ, usually delivered by an over enthusiastic HR type, using a flip chart and marker pens. Get those boxes ticked or else!
I used to sink into a pit of despair attending these ‘educational’ half day courses, particularly when the multi coloured sticky pads came out and we were invited to write our thoughts down for the benefit of the rest of the class.
Utterly pointless and time wasting, but hey, it made us better human beings. :roll:
I do really enjoy filling out the course feedback forms though.

Particularly the bit when the instructor realises you are writing just a tad more than the standard “course covered all aspects adequately”.

It’s worth the extra few minutes of the day to watch the instructors puppy like smile turn to confusion.

endure

GCM
Appreciate that mate, thanks

Rough day yesterday followed by a long (and it turns out unnecessary) night

Finally decided it just isn't worth it and it's time to move on

The reason it's a difficult choice is because it affects other people
They are all grown ups and will have to take care of themselves but I have no desire to leave them in the lurch. I hold the O Licences so what I do has fairly dramatic implications for them
What's an O Licence?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
...There has already been a suggestion that removing the CPC would alleviate some issues. I did my CPC earlier this year upon returning to the haulage industry and the content was largely pointless shite. The trainers however were very good, two of the three being ex army and their anecdotes were the most interesting points of an otherwise dull week.
All of my CPC courses have been with a retired copper, who spends most of the day regaling us with dits about his time in the job. As an ex copper and experienced commercial driver, this ensured my time in the classroom was doubly pointless and excrutiating.

What's an O Licence?
It's nothing sexual, unless you're in Norfolk.
It's an Operators licence, the person whose name is on it is responsible for the legalities of the operation.

What's an O Licence?

Operators Licence

Issued by the Traffic Commisioners, basically the licence required to run HGV's
Lots of legal in's and out's with them, it is held by the Directors and for a Standard National Licence a suitably qualified proffessionally competent person.

In our business I am that CPC qualified transport manager.

To be honest from what you’ve put on here they are going to struggle to replace you like for like.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

They probably won't replace me to be honest. I have a suspicion that I'm just an expensive pain in the arse who spends most of the week telling them what they can't do.

I've already suggested that we change all of the operator licences from Standard National to Restricted and do away with the need for a qualified TM (which is me), I'm quite happy to start that process for them while I work my notice.

Once thats done it's up to them I guess.

Last edited:

kieren21

Clanker
They probably won't replace me to be honest. I have a suspicion that I'm just an expesive pain in the arse who spends most of the week telling them what they can't do.

I've already suggested that we change all of the operator licences from Standard National to Restricted and do away with the need for a qualified TM (which is me), I'm quite happy to start that process for them while I work my notice.

Once thats done it's up to them I guess.
That first paragraph from a drivers point of view means you are worth your wages.

“Telling them what they can’t do……” strikes fear in my heart - what the bloody hell are they thinking of trying that they have to be wound back?

Just heard on the radio that one of the "imaginative ideas" the Government has is for Afghan refugees to solve the HGV shortage as they're "used to driving big lorries, some bigger than the ones here".
Could be an issue with the geography of the UK compared to Afghanistan & other things such as qualification, H & S etc.
Ahh, the same Afghan drivers who were driving fuel etc for Coalition. The same ones that kept pinging the HIDE scanners so would be refused entry onto the US bases. Lets face it, the only way these "refugees" got in must of been supporting NATO.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
242913631_2989355611303345_6234713495755336015_n.jpg

Latest Threads