UK Transport Crisis?

Will this mean that more effort will be put into the self-driving trucks project?
Around twenty years ago, we had a fuel shortage due to industrial action by tanker drivers.
The government of the day decided that to ensure that didn't happen again, the doors would be flung wide open to foreign drivers.
That worked well for the companies and the government, but not so well for the drivers.
Then along came Brexit, and we are where we are now.
No amount of foreign drivers will ever solve this problem, so I believe the government and the industry will now invest a lot more in driverless technology.
Maybe using tech to get the trailers to a depot where a human takes over to finish off the job.

On the plus side, got called in to a local driving school today who had a medical space available, passed with flying colours and can now send off my licence renewal.

Wehoo.

FEASG

LE
This problem goes much deeper that the Haulage industry. In the funeral trade it is also becoming increasingly hard to find drivers. If you operate in London now, with the ULEZ increasing in size you have a perfect storm.

Firms need to run a fleet that is compliant Euro 6/7. So a Fleet of one hearse and Two limousines, will set you back nearly £500,000. Then you have to find drivers that can not only drive vehicles of that size but drive in a tight convoy and not allow themselves to be cut up by untold illegal immigrants delivering fast food on mopeds. This coupled to the fact that there are tax cameras on every box junction, that if you are unable to appeal, firms pass the fine down to the drivers.

Most of the older drivers are now saying, that its not worth it and would rather stack shelfs in supermarkets. Many youngsters simply do not learn to drive. (In my old Reserve unit, they now have a CSM and QPSI that have not passed a test and need a minion to ferry them about). So you face a situation where experience is flooding out and not being replaced by people that can actually do the job. I must admit, I enjoyed putting mopeds (ridden by idiots with L plates, and a sense of entitlement) into busses and street furniture, safe in the knowledge that the laws of physics were on my side. But it soon gets too much hassle.

Perhaps if the councils provided an extra Wheelie bin for people to put their dead in it would relive the pressure on the over full roads.

Gotta be honest, I've decided this morning to chuck it in as a transport manager.
I've started applying for Class 1 work this morning.

I reckon if I take tramping work I'll earn close enough to what I get now, do less hours and will actually get days off.
Life is to short to be on 24/7 call
You've obviously given that a lot of thought, it's a massive decision to make.
I wish you all the best, but I think we both know you're going to do ok.
If our trampers do four nights out, their take home pay is £720pw.
I should imagine that's fairly average now throughout the industry.
Coffee and Greggs are on me if we ever bump into each other.

Figuratively, not literally.

Correct. But a couple of years ago the limit (in England and Wales at least) on A roads went from 40 to 50 without too much bother from the usual suspects, mostly on the bases that hardly anyone other then a handful; of truck drivers knew the limit was 40 anyway. I think the same stunt could be pulled here; the speed limit already is 60, so no new legislation needed, just an adjustment to the C&U regulations to amend the 56 to 60.

Definitely appeasement, with a stiff portion of bending to the media pressure. A very poor look. But by scratching the flip-flop driver itch the Govt can avoid coming under pressure on the real reasons for the omnishambles. The "initiative" will make not a scrap of difference of course, but it will encourage the media idiots to look elsewhere other than Driver CPC, Supermarket behaviour etc.

Heres a question for you, especially those of you who get out onto the open road and are routinely frustrated by everything from roadworks to knobheads who cause accidents and bobble hatted pillocks who want to protest on the M25. Do you think that driving a truck is stressful?

Well it is if you are delivering to Sainsburys (currently a DHL contract. They are contracted to hitting their arrival time at any location 99.9% of the time. 99.9 %. Contracted. So you can imagine the pressure.
Back in the day, so some 15 years ago, I'd a regular run from Carlisle to Strasbourg, a comfortable 3 day jaunt via 4 countries, then a load back from elsewhere in Northern France.
Then the US owners decided to make that run JIT to meet factory production plans.
What may sound sensible in the US does not translate well to European driving.

This problem goes much deeper that the Haulage industry. In the funeral trade it is also becoming increasingly hard to find drivers. If you operate in London now, with the ULEZ increasing in size you have a perfect storm.

Firms need to run a fleet that is compliant Euro 6/7. So a Fleet of one hearse and Two limousines, will set you back nearly £500,000. Then you have to find drivers that can not only drive vehicles of that size but drive in a tight convoy and not allow themselves to be cut up by untold illegal immigrants delivering fast food on mopeds. This coupled to the fact that there are tax cameras on every box junction, that if you are unable to appeal, firms pass the fine down to the drivers.

Most of the older drivers are now saying, that its not worth it and would rather stack shelfs in supermarkets. Many youngsters simply do not learn to drive. (In my old Reserve unit, they now have a CSM and QPSI that have not passed a test and need a minion to ferry them about). So you face a situation where experience is flooding out and not being replaced by people that can actually do the job. I must admit, I enjoyed putting mopeds (ridden by idiots with L plates, and a sense of entitlement) into busses and street furniture, safe in the knowledge that the laws of physics were on my side. But it soon gets too much hassle.

Perhaps if the councils provided an extra Wheelie bin for people to put their dead in it would relive the pressure on the over full roads.
I gave you a funny for the last two sentences.
Your post reflects a problem that is affecting drivers of all types, postmen, couriers, emergency services etc.
What was once quite pleasurable is becoming a right royal pain.

Will this mean that more effort will be put into the self-driving trucks project?

This is another thing the media needs to take responsibility for - driving (no pun intended) young people from even considering the industry by telling them that self-driving trucks were just around the corner (no pun intended). I doubt we'll see fully automated trucks for decades. We might see tech for one driver to control a "train" of trucks, but if you're going to do that then you might as well just use... a train.

You've obviously given that a lot of thought, it's a massive decision to make.
I wish you all the best, but I think we both know you're going to do ok.
If our trampers do four nights out, their take home pay is £720pw.
I should imagine that's fairly average now throughout the industry.
Coffee and Greggs are on me if we ever bump into each other.

Figuratively, not literally.

Appreciate that mate, thanks

Rough day yesterday followed by a long (and it turns out unnecessary) night

Finally decided it just isn't worth it and it's time to move on

The reason it's a difficult choice is because it affects other people
They are all grown ups and will have to take care of themselves but I have no desire to leave them in the lurch. I hold the O Licences so what I do has fairly dramatic implications for them

Last edited:
Just heard on the radio that one of the "imaginative ideas" the Government has is for Afghan refugees to solve the HGV shortage as they're "used to driving big lorries, some bigger than the ones here".
Could be an issue with the geography of the UK compared to Afghanistan & other things such as qualification, H & S etc.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
Appreciate that mate, thanks

Rough day last night followed by a long (and it turns out unnecessary) night

Finally decided it just isn't worth it and it's time to move on

The reason it's a difficult choice is because it affects other people
They are all grown ups and will have to take care of themselves but I have no desire to leave them in the lurch. I hold the O Licences so what I do has fairly dramatic implications for them
Time to put yourself first, if a jobs continually putting under stress then something has to give. Maybe time away & back to driving will be a blessed relief, best of luck & keep on truckin!

FEASG

LE
Bloody hell!
Yes I know, both good lads, but the days of the TA/ Reserve training people to do things, that help them in the real world are long gone. I had to laugh the other day when one of them was moaning about how the lads in the company did not know how to fill in work tickets properly.

Just heard on the radio that one of the "imaginative ideas" the Government has is for Afghan refugees to solve the HGV shortage as they're "used to driving big lorries, some bigger than the ones here".
Could be an issue with the geography of the UK compared to Afghanistan & other things such as qualification, H & S etc.
If they are capable of doing the job, then let them earn their keep.
I'd left by the time Afghanistan was invaded, but there must be lads here who served there and know the Afghan mindset.
@OneTenner ?

Time to put yourself first, if a jobs continually putting under stress then something has to give. Maybe time away & back to driving will be a blessed relief, best of luck & keep on truckin!

I've spent a lot of time lately driving, particularly on nights

Compared to running the show it's a doddle and I'm guaranteed time off without the phone ringing 24/7

stuskimac

Old-Salt
Other than quarry trucks, can you define "used to driving big lorries, some bigger than the ones here" ? I fail to see how Afghan trucks can be any bigger than what we have in this country?

Yes I know, both good lads, but the days of the TA/ Reserve training people to do things, that help them in the real world are long gone. I had to laugh the other day when one of them was moaning about how the lads in the company did not know how to fill in work tickets properly.
Atud, for those graduates of DST
I've spent a lot of time lately driving, particularly on nights

Compared to running the show it's a doddle and I'm guaranteed time off without the phone ringing 24/7
get a decent pair of shades, a m kettle and of course healthy food;)

@jagman2
Stuskimac beat me to it, I was going to say something similar.

This government is starting to look increasingly weak and utterly reactionary, they should have stood fast re the special visa business but it seems that they’ve blinked again, however the alternatives still look worse, smarmer is totally bereft of any elan or charisma and it looks like fish wife angeluh is going to lead the charge at the forthcoming labour conference if media speculation is to be believed. There has already been a suggestion that removing the CPC would alleviate some issues. I did my CPC earlier this year upon returning to the haulage industry and the content was largely pointless shite. The trainers however were very good, two of the three being ex army and their anecdotes were the most interesting points of an otherwise dull week.

This government is starting to look increasingly weak and utterly reactionary, they should have stood fast re the special visa business but it seems that they’ve blinked again, however the alternatives still look worse, smarmer is totally bereft of any elan or charisma and it looks like fish wife angeluh is going to lead the charge at the forthcoming labour conference if media speculation is to be believed. There has already been a suggestion that removing the CPC would alleviate some issues. I did my CPC earlier this year upon returning to the haulage industry and the content was largely pointless shite. The trainers however were very good, two of the three being ex army and their anecdotes were the most interesting points of an otherwise dull week.
Regarding the actual trainers, I totally agree.
My last was a weeks course in 2019, taken by an ex Lancer, he knew how to get peoples attention, and he knew the rules inside out.
I believe that a CPC should be part of the initial driver course, and left at that.