UK Transport Crisis?

oldbaldy

LE
242989092_10159690405952328_6125308014450602084_n.jpg
I'm toying with banning you for life for that one.

enpointe

Old-Salt
Off on a slight tangent, Arriva have been running some radio ad's recently. They are offering £10.65 p/h for a driver with over 12 months experience or £10.15 under 12 months. Anyone know if that's a reasonable rate for a bus driver?

(No I'm not thinking about it - I already earn more than that.)
less then a forkie in many warehouses ... even before current panic rises and bonuses ( plenty of places adding at least 1gbp/ hour as peak reward ( paid with pay or a month in arrears) and 50 gbp/ week paid in one or two lumps as christmas / peak bonus )

Gotta be honest, I've decided this morning to chuck it in as a transport manager.
I've started applying for Class 1 work this morning.

I reckon if I take tramping work I'll earn close enough to what I get now, do less hours and will actually get days off.
Life is to short to be on 24/7 call

Gotta be honest, I've decided this morning to chuck it in as a transport manager.

I reckon if I take tramping work I'll earn close enough to what I get now, do less hours and will actually get days off.

If you're passing Durham, could you drop off 30 gallons of unleaded ?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Has anyone noticed that the price per litre has gone up? My work colleague came in this morning stating that overnight, the price per litre has gone up 10p from 1.36-1.46.

Truxx

LE
So would I be correct in saying that no one is suggesting this simple course of action because it will piss off the anti-vehicle lot. The same group of people who are against the speed limit on motorways being raised to 80mph? The same group of people that think that its a good idea to reduce the speed limit on certain sections of the M6 in order to reduce pollution?
Correct. But a couple of years ago the limit (in England and Wales at least) on A roads went from 40 to 50 without too much bother from the usual suspects, mostly on the bases that hardly anyone other then a handful; of truck drivers knew the limit was 40 anyway. I think the same stunt could be pulled here; the speed limit already is 60, so no new legislation needed, just an adjustment to the C&U regulations to amend the 56 to 60.
To be honest Ho, I think it's more about appeasing the RHA, who are only interested in the profit margins for company owners and shareholders.
I was told last week that I will have to wait eight weeks for my HGV medical, due to high demand.
Obviously thousands of others will be in a similar position.
A simple extension for one year would wipe out the medical backlog.
If politicians choose not to take the easy way out, then it's because they have a hidden agenda, so you may be right, I don't think Boris likes to upset the groups who shout loudest.
Definitely appeasement, with a stiff portion of bending to the media pressure. A very poor look. But by scratching the flip-flop driver itch the Govt can avoid coming under pressure on the real reasons for the omnishambles. The "initiative" will make not a scrap of difference of course, but it will encourage the media idiots to look elsewhere other than Driver CPC, Supermarket behaviour etc.

Heres a question for you, especially those of you who get out onto the open road and are routinely frustrated by everything from roadworks to knobheads who cause accidents and bobble hatted pillocks who want to protest on the M25. Do you think that driving a truck is stressful?

Well it is if you are delivering to Sainsburys (currently a DHL contract. They are contracted to hitting their arrival time at any location 99.9% of the time. 99.9 %. Contracted. So you can imagine the pressure.

Truxx

LE
Has anyone noticed that the price per litre has gone up? My work colleague came in this morning stating that overnight, the price per litre has gone up 10p from 1.36-1.46.
I paid 1.41 yesterday. Same place last week 1.37. Not much but it is if you are filling a truck. Wetherby services? 1.59

Truxx

LE

Get your ADR and get on the DHL fuel mullarkey. 4 days on, 4 off and 50K a year.

Get your ADR and get on the DHL fuel mullarkey. 4 days on, 4 off and 50K a year.

There are worse ideas, if I get a half way decent job I'll start topping up with ADR etc

I'm not really fussed what the job is tbh but I'd prefer not to be handballing or on cage work. Within reason I'll take a pay cut from where I'm at now.

For all those drivers out there who think their hours are shit, they can have my job.
They can start tomorrow :)

I sort of retired from it a year and a bit ago, and have inadvertently drifted into driving in the last year, after tax I’m averaging £200 ish a day which is a nice buffer whilst I see how my aeroplane moving Buisness develops.
im seeing a lot more smiles on drivers faces at the moment as well.

I sort of retired from it a year and a bit ago, and have inadvertently drifted into driving in the last year, after tax I’m averaging £200 ish a day which is a nice buffer whilst I see how my aeroplane moving Buisness develops.
im seeing a lot more smiles on drivers faces at the moment as well.

I have a hacksaw, a wheelbarrow and loads of black nasty, can I come work with you?

Correct. But a couple of years ago the limit (in England and Wales at least) on A roads went from 40 to 50 without too much bother from the usual suspects, mostly on the bases that hardly anyone other then a handful; of truck drivers knew the limit was 40 anyway. I think the same stunt could be pulled here; the speed limit already is 60, so no new legislation needed, just an adjustment to the C&U regulations to amend the 56 to 60.

Definitely appeasement, with a stiff portion of bending to the media pressure. A very poor look. But by scratching the flip-flop driver itch the Govt can avoid coming under pressure on the real reasons for the omnishambles. The "initiative" will make not a scrap of difference of course, but it will encourage the media idiots to look elsewhere other than Driver CPC, Supermarket behaviour etc.

Heres a question for you, especially those of you who get out onto the open road and are routinely frustrated by everything from roadworks to knobheads who cause accidents and bobble hatted pillocks who want to protest on the M25. Do you think that driving a truck is stressful?

Well it is if you are delivering to Sainsburys (currently a DHL contract. They are contracted to hitting their arrival time at any location 99.9% of the time. 99.9 %. Contracted. So you can imagine the pressure.
It sometimes is stressful when timed deliveries are jeopardised through actions out of the drivers control, but over the last few years I've began repeating to myself..
'If there's nothing I can do to improve the situation, then there is no need to worry about it.'
It genuinely works for me.
Unfortunately, the lads in the office still have to deal with irate customers, so in my opinion the office is a more stressful environment.
That doesn't mean that I don't regularly scream at the roadworks and knobheads.

Back when we measured it we achieved 99.7% on time in full on around 1000 deliveries a day

Screw that! 60mph? don't give the traffic planners another reason to pile more on us! bad idea!
Come on stuskimac, are you telling me that ex squaddies can't bluff their way out of extra work?
Most of us are premier league champions at that sort of lark ;)