UK Transport Crisis?

I don't think Boris likes groups who shout loudest.
[/QUOTE]
Or, I suspect, chip into CPHQ coffers the most.

To be honest Ho, I think it's more about appeasing the RHA, who are only interested in the profit margins for company owners and shareholders.
I was told last week that I will have to wait eight weeks for my HGV medical, due to high demand.
Obviously thousands of others will be in a similar position.
A simple extension for one year would wipe out the medical backlog.
If politicians choose not to take the easy way out, then it's because they have a hidden agenda, so you may be right, I don't think Boris likes to upset the groups who shout loudest.
Don't get me started on that twat mate. I wasn't taken in by Cameron or May's pretense at being conservative. I correctly saw them both as the red conservatives that they are. But Boris certainly had me fooled with his grandiose speeches of him following in the foot steps of his idol WS Churchill and of him being a true conservative leader.
With hindsite mate, I have more respect for Corbyn being a conviction politician, than I do for the flip flopping Boris.
As for the rest of your post mate, I agree with you 100% sir.

So Boris eases visa restrictions and lots of truck drivers turn up, ready to go within, what, 12 hours?
So our EU chums heed the call from the U.K. and tip up for work. For 6 weeks? 6 months? 6 years?
They don’t know. No-one knows. Where will they live, when they are not driving? Do they need to get a flat somewhere to live in the meantime, or can they kip on a sofa somewhere?
If they are working here, they will need an NI number, address etc. Is the U.K. GOV assuming these drivers have all the paperwork recently agreed in order? What if it isn’t? Can DVLA cope?
Given all we have seen that HGV drivers are in short supply all over Europe, and you were Polish, would you grab your hold-all and get the ferry to U.K., or get a job in Germany, Belgium, or your own country?
Exactly.
A lot of people don't seem to realise that Poland is trying to entice it's workers back, not let them go.
Eastern Europe has advanced a long way since the early 2000's, and pay and standard of living has risen dramatically.
As much as I once loved my country, I wouldn't recommend living in our rat infested inner cities to anybody.
Why would they want to come here?

They are belatedly trying to catch up now.
I've had two pay rises in four months.
Prior to that we had one in 2015.
Similar to what happened within the construction industry mate. It was the massive decline in wages that I went though from 2010 onwards that convinced me to get out of the electrical trade. Something that I atribute to the influx of eastern european workers. I was so disheartened with what I was seeing that I started to look at other jobs. Firstly personal training, and then the police/prison service. And as the circle always goes back to where it started off I now find myself back in construction. No doubt I will have a mid life crisis soon, and want to go back in to the TA, or whatever it will be called next week!

Similar to what happened within the construction industry mate. It was the massive decline in wages that I went though from 2010 onwards that convinced me to get out of the electrical trade. Something that I atribute to the influx of eastern european workers. I was so disheartened with what I was seeing that I started to look at other jobs. Firstly personal training, and then the police/prison service. And as the circle always goes back to where it started off I now find myself back in construction. No doubt I will have a mid life crisis soon, and want to go back in to the TA, or whatever it will be called next week!
Ha, I'm 56 next month, as far as mid life crisis goes if the TA, Army Reserve or whatever will have me I'll come with you!
It was a Labour government that oversaw the influx of Eastern European workers into the country, and it was the working class who suffered the most.
Construction, transport, hospitality...all hit the hardest by cheap labour.
I can guarantee you that free movement would have ended overnight if it had been an influx of cheap Polish lawyers, barristers, newspaper editors, advertising executives and commodity brokers.

Ha, I'm 56 next month, as far as mid life crisis goes if the TA, Army Reserve or whatever will have me I'll come with you!
It was a Labour government that oversaw the influx of Eastern European workers into the country, and it was the working class who suffered the most.
Construction, transport, hospitality...all hit the hardest by cheap labour.
I can guarantee you that free movement would have ended overnight if it had been an influx of cheap Polish lawyers, barristers, newspaper editors, advertising executives and commodity brokers.
And on that note sir; according to the latest 'news' on the Daily Wail app, Boris is set to once again flip flop and allow foreign (cheap) drivers back in to the industry. Yes it's from the Daily Wail but if it's in the sunday papers then we can probably take it for fact.
Lets see shall we.

And on that note sir; according to the latest 'news' on the Daily Wail app, Boris is set to once again flip flop and allow foreign (cheap) drivers back in to the industry. Yes it's from the Daily Wail but if it's in the sunday papers then we can probably take it for fact.
Lets see shall we.
I believe it will happen, and so we go full circle, back to where we started.
These drivers won't be coming from the EU, they're going to be coming from third world countries.
Just as well, most of them will feel right at home here.

So Boris eases visa restrictions and lots of truck drivers turn up, ready to go within, what, 12 hours?
So our EU chums heed the call from the U.K. and tip up for work. For 6 weeks? 6 months? 6 years?
They don’t know. No-one knows. Where will they live, when they are not driving? Do they need to get a flat somewhere to live in the meantime, or can they kip on a sofa somewhere?
If they are working here, they will need an NI number, address etc. Is the U.K. GOV assuming these drivers have all the paperwork recently agreed in order? What if it isn’t? Can DVLA cope?
Given all we have seen that HGV drivers are in short supply all over Europe, and you were Polish, would you grab your hold-all and get the ferry to U.K., or get a job in Germany, Belgium, or your own country?

They won't be coming even if visa concessions are made

They can now make as much money at home

Demands to allow them back are by those with a vested interest in demanding the return of cheap labour

No Boots

Old-Salt
So where are all these imported drivers coming from, can't see many EE drivers returning looking at this IRU report forecasts alarming jump in driver shortage in Europe
Further afield maybe, well they will need to exchange their licences if they are compatible, if not sit a test then they will need a CPC, how long will this take with the current problems at DVLA or whatever they call themselves these days.
If opening the floodgates again works, how long do you think the big pay rises will last- not long is my guess, yet it seems very strange that I have not heard of one transport company forecasting less profit.
Just take a look at this image and it tells you who wants to do this job - no one currently.
https://facts4eu.org/static/media/hgv_20210902_2.jpg

As been said on this thread numerous times Government & Industry need to get their heads out of their backsides and ask themselves the simple question, why?
As usual this country is too soft - get the professional scroungers of their asre with the simple choice of train for a job or get feckall.
I still cannot see anything to tempt me back to driving for a living since the start of this thread, even worse recommending it to anyone thinking of doing it.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
In the UK the speed limit already is 60mph.
Problem is our trucks were limited to 56 so that we were in line with the European 90kmh.
If the limiters were set at 60, I would be quite happy.
Screw that! 60mph? don't give the traffic planners another reason to pile more on us! bad idea!

Great money in sparking at the minute if you get on the big sites. We were paying our guys £30 ph recently.

Lets see shall we.
Supply and demand. If they know we are that desperate they'll be asking for top dollar.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
BIL was an owner driver, he certainly agrees.

Jim Titheridge

September 17 at 6:17 AM ·
So, you are running out of food on the shelves, fuel in the garages, you can’t buy things you need, because the shops can’t get their supplies.
Why is that?
A shortage of goods? No
A shortage of money? No
A shortage of drivers to deliver the goods? Well, sort of.
There isn’t actually a shortage of drivers, what we have, is a shortage of people who can drive, that are willing to drive any more. You might wonder why that is. I can’t answer for all drivers, but I can give you the reason I no longer drive. Driving was something I always yearned to do as a young boy, and as soon as I could, I managed to get my driving licence, I even joined the army to get my HGV licence faster, I held my licence at the age of 17. It was all I ever wanted to do, drive trucks, I had that vision of being a knight of the roads, bringing the goods to everyone, providing a service everyone needed. What I didn’t take into account was the absolute abuse my profession would get over the years.
I have seen a massive decline in the respect this trade has, first, it was the erosion of truck parking and transport café’s, then it was the massive increase in restricting where I could stop, timed weight limits in just about every city and town, but not all the time, you can get there to do your delivery, but you can’t stay there, nobody wants an empty truck, nobody wants you there once they have what they did want.
Compare France to the UK. I can park in nearly every town or village, they have marked truck parking bays, and somewhere nearby, will be a small routier, where I can get a meal and a shower, the locals respect me, and have no problems with me or my truck being there for the night.
Go out onto the motorway services, and I can park for no cost, go into the service area, and get a shower for a minimal cost, and have freshly cooked food, I even get to jump the queues, because others know that my time is limited, and respect I am there because it is my job. Add to that, I even get a 20% discount of all I purchase. Compare that to the UK £25-£40 just to park overnight, dirty showers, and expensive, dried (under heat lamps) food that is overpriced, and I have no choice but to park there, because you don’t want me in your towns and cities.
Ask yourself how you would feel, if doing your job actually cost you money at the end of the day, just so you could rest.
But that isn’t the half of it. Not only have we been rejected from our towns and cities, but we have also suffered massive pay cuts, because of the influx of foreign drivers willing to work for a wage that is high where they come from, companies eagerly recruited from the eastern bloc, who can blame them, why pay good money when you can get cheap labour, and a never ending supply of it as well. Never mind that their own countries would suffer from a shortage themselves, that was never our problem, they could always get people from further afield if they needed drivers.
We were once seen as knights of the road, now we are seen as the lepers of society. Why would anyone want to go back to that?
If you are worried about not getting supplies on your supermarket shelves, ask your local council just how well they cater for trucks in your district.
I know Canterbury has the grand total of zero truck parking facilities, but does have a lot of restrictions, making it difficult for trucks to stop anywhere.
Do you want me to go back to driving trucks? Give me a good reason to do so. Give anyone a good reason to take it up as a profession.
Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be.
I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn't pay me enough.
Thank you to all those people who have shared this post. I never expected such a massive response, but am glad that this message is getting out there. I really hope that some people who are in a position to change just how bad it is for some drivers, can influence the powers that be to make changes for the better. Perhaps some city and town councillors have seen this, and are willing to bring up these issues at their council meetings. It surely cannot be too much to ask of a town/city to provide facilities for those who are doing so much to make sure their economies run and their shops and businesses are stocked with supplies. I never wanted any luxuries, just somewhere safe to park, and some basic ablutions that are maintained to a reasonable standard. I spent my nights away from my home and family for you, how much is it to ask that you at least give me access to some basic services.
There are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of licence holders just like me, who will no longer tolerate the conditions. So the ball is firmly in the court of the councils to solve this problem.

RTU'd

LE
Local Sainsburys have run dry at 07:00.
Plod in attendance to stop people from being fecktards.
Some want to wait till next delivery comes in!!

I am going to let the train take the strain this week.
Do hope the unwashed are behaving themselves.

Report on radio it will take 10 days before UK plc is back to "normal".
Boris offering 5k of visas for drivers but EU Driving Association say that little take up of the idea as wages on offer are still not at UK levels, driver costs are higher and that the risk of covid is putting drivers off. The EU still has driver issues too.

Local garage have just called plod in as the tanker driver is at the end of a long queue to get in to the petrol station. It is so pathetic & driven by the panic mentality & stoking the fire by the daily wail and other fecktarded newspapers.

Only BP have issues with tanker drivers & less than 5% of their petrol stations effected.

Do the government still issue D Notices against the printed press as the daily wail need one.

If people just realise DONT PANIC and buy normally all would be fine.

Local Sainsburys has run out of the following for some reason:
Loo Roll/Bottled Water/Bread/Fresh Fruit & MAJOR PANIC Lager!

Feck this country is going to the dogs.

Cast your mind back to 2008 and the financial crisis caused (in the UK) by the collapse of Northern Rock. They were in trouble but companies get in trouble all the time, usually they simply get bought out by a rival who wants their existing customers and sacks all their staff, not pleasant for them, but business as usual. It was the media, particularly the BBC, that hyped it up into a run on the bank and turned it into a panic. And they keep on doing it, over and over again. And it only needs to fool a few people before it becomes self-fulfilling and everyone is caught up in it. There definitely needs to be much more regulation of so-called "journalists", with editors doing hard time and papers being bankrupted by fines when they do this because they'll never stop otherwise.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Being cynical: it's because the government has said there isn't going to be a shortage, which means there will be in a couple of days. Same as there were no lockdowns, till a few days later there were. No vaccine passports till there were. No food and bog roll shortages, till there were. etc etc

Give it a day or two and all the morons who are prone to panic buying will have full tanks and us normies will get our forecourts back :)
Friday:

Government - "There will not be fuel shortages"

Saturday:

Every garage in my town and the surrounding villages "No petrol".
Smug morons on Facebook who spent their Friday night queuing to fill up "Told you so"

I despair of people sometimes.

Bloody idiots around our way are queuing around the block.. I have fuel but I need to get something for the wife’s birthday. Well she’s not going to get any flowers this year.

RP

You lot need to stop fücking about and start being proper truckers.

1632564361426.jpeg

Problem solved.