UK Transport Crisis?

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Mile long queues at all the petrol stations down here, limited to £30,
bloke next door went to get his normal petrol , to do his job,
he uses one garage all the time,
The garage manager said they will have sold 4 days petrol in a day, by the end of today,
the queuing started at 7 o'clock this morning
What the F is wrong with people
Being cynical: it's because the government has said there isn't going to be a shortage, which means there will be in a couple of days. Same as there were no lockdowns, till a few days later there were. No vaccine passports till there were. No food and bog roll shortages, till there were. etc etc

Give it a day or two and all the morons who are prone to panic buying will have full tanks and us normies will get our forecourts back :)

Our accounts dept just called me and suggested buying spare tyres in for all the lorries

I tried explaining that hey are all different sizes and the difference between steer and drive tyres
I was evidently speaking Greek when I did so.

Nor was it understood that we will usually require a tyre fitting on a lorry a hundred miles or more away from where the spare tyre is located!

They genuinely just proposed that we hold six grands worth of spare tyres just in case
Not sure if this is related.

A Spanish truck pulled in and impounded by VOSA for 4 dodgy tires last Friday was released from my local HGV testing centre just this afternoon after wait of 7 days. He had 2 spares with him but the other 2 were unavailable.

Can't say if that's from a tyre shortage or maybe his company had bad credit, but either way, another truck of the road for 7 days.

Sorry I can't link to this page

View attachment 606310

Question time last night; Grant Schapps stated that adding LGV drivers to the skilled workers list would do no good as there were shortages everywhere. Germany were 60,000 short and similar figures for other countries.

Not sure if this is related.

A Spanish truck pulled in and impounded by VOSA for 4 dodgy tires last Friday was released from my local HGV testing centre just this afternoon after wait of 7 days. He had 2 spares with him but the other 2 were unavailable.

Can't say if that's from a tyre shortage or maybe his company had bad credit, but either way, another truck of the road for 7 days.

The Spanish won’t be happy with that, expect an inquisition.

The queue for fuel outside the Petrol station in Llantrisant this afternoon was biblical. So much so that it became almost impossible to run HGV tests out of the testing station next door thus further delaying the licensing of HGV drivers. We got the full complement through today but it was getting to the point whereby students were rolling in late for tests due to traffic, (for which the examiner has the right to void tests although they didn't out of the goodness of their hearts) and delays getting out though the gates to go on test as the exits were blocked by queuing traffic.

I also hear from a friend on the fuel tankers that they are delayed in making deliveries to petrol stations by the queues outside them, leading to a knock-on effect as they are late back to depot to refuel.

This is beginning to feed on itself.

Me personally? I have an MG fully electric car so I've stuck it on charge while I nip down to the Lansdowne for a well deserved Friday afternoon pint. Why well deserved? Two out of two candidates qualified this week so only 99,998 to go.

This is me, In the Lansdowne. Right now.
242921294_10220114267223724_2636965944323427440_n.jpg

Last edited:

Zaphod

Clanker
Off on a slight tangent, Arriva have been running some radio ad's recently. They are offering £10.65 p/h for a driver with over 12 months experience or £10.15 under 12 months. Anyone know if that's a reasonable rate for a bus driver?

(No I'm not thinking about it - I already earn more than that.)

Off on a slight tangent, Arriva have been running some radio ad's recently. They are offering £10.65 p/h for a driver with over 12 months experience or £10.15 under 12 months. Anyone know if that's a reasonable rate for a bus driver?

I would have guessed slightly more, but not a lot more. I do wonder if this is a downside to the minimum wage - jobs that always paid a bit more than "minimum" are dragged down towards that figure.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

Depends where you are. London Bus drivers get more money than a driver in Lincoln. Bus drivers are not the best paid drivers, but that rate is really poor. There should be at least another £1 an hour on that wage, but that is about right (unfortunately) for ARRIVA drivers.

RTU'd

LE
Local garage have just called plod in as the tanker driver is at the end of a long queue to get in to the petrol station. It is so pathetic & driven by the panic mentality & stoking the fire by the daily wail and other fecktarded newspapers.

Only BP have issues with tanker drivers & less than 5% of their petrol stations effected.

Do the government still issue D Notices against the printed press as the daily wail need one.

If people just realise DONT PANIC and buy normally all would be fine.

Local Sainsburys has run out of the following for some reason:
Loo Roll/Bottled Water/Bread/Fresh Fruit & MAJOR PANIC Lager!

Feck this country is going to the dogs.

Question time last night; Grant Schapps stated that adding LGV drivers to the skilled workers list would do no good as there were shortages everywhere. Germany were 60,000 short and similar figures for other countries.
LGV 2 here, let the medical lapse and went and found better paid employment. I used to do agency just to keep my hand in until last licence renewal.

endure

GCM
Local garage have just called plod in as the tanker driver is at the end of a long queue to get in to the petrol station. It is so pathetic & driven by the panic mentality & stoking the fire by the daily wail and other fecktarded newspapers.

Only BP have issues with tanker drivers & less than 5% of their petrol stations effected.

Do the government still issue D Notices against the printed press as the daily wail need one.
D notices are advisory. They don't stop newspapers publishing if they decide they will do.

Up to a point, but that isn't what you're supposed to be doing. I've always had more "job satisfaction" when things run smoothly. Hanging around for someone else soon gets tedious.
Agree 100% mate. At first; yes it's a novelty to be paid to sit around watching netflix. However, that novelty very quickly disappears after a short while.
As I've stated up thread, I work alongside cranes and HIABs everyday in my current job, and whether I'm being paid time and a half or not. There is nothing more soul destroying than waiting for the last unit to be delivered at 1700hrs on a friday evening, and you know that the wagon is still at least an hour away. And on top of that you've still got a couple of hours hard work ahead of you, if things go smoothly. Maybe as many as four hours if there is a problem. I could then have a drive home of anywhere between an hour and three hours.
So yes, it is great sitting around getting paid to do f*** all but it can also drive you to despair.

Government are proposing an easing of immigration rules to reduce the shortage.
Why?
Simply suspend or scrap the CPC. That alone would free up thousands of lapsed drivers literally overnight.

But they won’t because it’s a massive money spinner & would get backlash from all those on the gravy train.

We heard the same today from someone who was delayed for 45 minutes getting past the Morrisons roundabout at Lake. People are bonkers.

Same at my store. Walked to work this afternoon and the que for the PFS was up to the roundabout on the main road, which caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth from drivers trying to get passed.

Latest Threads