UK Transport Crisis?

kieren21

Clanker
Useless unhappy cvnts in a job they dont want to be in with low( ish) pay, and by 40 realising this is as far as their career is going. Being supervised by idle indifferent managers who regard employing another forklift driver so trucks could be unloaded with alacrity instead of waiting in a line for two hours, as needless extravagance.This means the unloaders are faced with a mass of work that they never look like they will get on top of, so after a while they stop trying and just work slowly.
The minions sole feeling of empowerment left to him or her, is jerking the drivers around whilst they glacially plod through their “ job”

in my experience.
NB weegie ones are in a league of their own.!
This ^.

I always just sit there thinking at least in however many hours I’ll be leaving this place whereas they have to face the same yard, the same 4 walls every working day for the rest of their miserable careers. Hence I usually have a slight smile when faced with a dour faced jobsworth.

This ^.

I always just sit there thinking at least in however many hours I’ll be leaving this place whereas they have to face the same yard, the same 4 walls every working day for the rest of their miserable careers. Hence I usually have a slight smile when faced with a dour faced jobsworth.

Are you as the driver, then penalized for being late to your next job then?

kieren21

Clanker
Are you as the driver, then penalized for being late to your next job then?

Depends.

It can have a knock on effect for me in that I may be running out of hours, or subsequently missing other deadlines/booking slots or it may have zero effect on me personally but my firm will be running round trying to cover my missed work.

The real kicker is if it makes the difference between you getting home on your last day or not.

Tip for when you start - never let RDC staff see that it’s getting to you. They feed off it like vampires and feel it’s a victory.

Depends.

It can have a knock on effect for me in that I may be running out of hours, or subsequently missing other deadlines/booking slots or it may have zero effect on me personally but my firm will be running round trying to cover my missed work.

The real kicker is if it makes the difference between you getting home on your last day or not.

Tip for when you start - never let RDC staff see that it’s getting to you. They feed off it like vampires and feel it’s a victory.

Shame that a similar system to that used in the NHS can't be used. If we are having to wait to hand over at hospital for more than a given period of time (I think it's 20mins), the hospital is 'in breach' and there's a financial penalty for that.

Shame that a system can't be put in place where the driver books into the RDC and they then have say an hour to unload you, or they are 'in breach' and suffer a financial hit.

kieren21

Clanker
Shame that a similar system to that used in the NHS can't be used. If we are having to wait to hand over at hospital for more than a given period of time (I think it's 20mins), the hospital is 'in breach' and there's a financial penalty for that.

Shame that a system can't be put in place where the driver books into the RDC and they then have say an hour to unload you, or they are 'in breach' and suffer a financial hit.

Thing is - there actually is!! (Probably mentioned earlier within this thread)

It’s called demurrage. And it’s a charge per hour that begins after a certain period of time.

Trouble is no haulier charges for it because they don’t want to either lose the work, raise their head above the parapet, or be banned from delivery sites.

RDC’s know this. And boy do they (or at least did) abuse it.

Thing is - there actually is!! (Probably mentioned earlier within this thread)

It’s called demurrage. And it’s a charge per hour that begins after a certain period of time.

Trouble is no haulier charges for it because they don’t want to either lose the work, raise their head above the parapet, or be banned from delivery sites.

RDC’s know this. And boy do they (or at least did) abuse it.

So the hauliers only have themselves to blame then, because if they all did it, the RDC's wouldn't get away with it.

Surely this is just a matter of having a MoU between hauliers?

Don't tell me.......there already is

kieren21

Clanker
So the hauliers only have themselves to blame then, because if they all did it, the RDC's wouldn't get away with it.

Surely this is just a matter of having a MoU between hauliers?

Don't tell me.......there already is
Getting drivers working for the same firm to agree is like herding cats.

Getting haulage firms to agree (especially if you stand to profit by someone else losing a contract etc) is pretty much the same.

Whilst I’ll happily slate RDC’s forever and a day, you are correct - hauliers are just as much to blame.

That’s why it stands out a mile when a firm like Whites actually do the right thing.

They aren’t doing anything that shouldn’t be done as a matter of course. It’s just unusual for a firm to have an actual set of bollocks.

Getting drivers working for the same firm to agree is like herding cats.

Getting haulage firms to agree (especially if you stand to profit by someone else losing a contract etc) is pretty much the same.

Whilst I’ll happily slate RDC’s forever and a day, you are correct - hauliers are just as much to blame.

That’s why it stands out a mile when a firm like Whites actually do the right thing.

They aren’t doing anything that shouldn’t be done as a matter of course. It’s just unusual for a firm to have an actual set of bollocks.

Presumably you still get paid for waiting, so if an RDC make you wait 4hrs whilst you watch netflix, drink tea and doze, then happy days

Presumably you still get paid for waiting, so if an RDC make you wait 4hrs whilst you watch netflix, drink tea and doze, then happy days

Up to a point, but that isn't what you're supposed to be doing. I've always had more "job satisfaction" when things run smoothly. Hanging around for someone else soon gets tedious.

No Boots

Old-Salt
That is the only way to look at it, as said previously if the muppets see that it is getting to you they will make you wait even longer.
I found that when told it will be x hours before I was tipped I would reply "thats ok, take your time as I am on overtime I don't care" that always p***ed them off.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
That is the only way to look at it, as said previously if the muppets see that it is getting to you they will make you wait even longer.
I found that when told it will be x hours before I was tipped I would reply "thats ok, take your time as I am on overtime I don't care" that always p***ed them off.
The other alternate answer is " no probs, oh by the way i've been told to pull out by such & such time & bring the load back if i'm not tipped, they need the truck back, just so you know mate, cheers" this has worked wonders for me a few times.

kieren21

Clanker
ABFB2E32-FE77-4BF0-B566-7FC4147AC795.jpeg

Tonight’s waiting room.

2 chairs for 12 bays and no windows so basically a fluorescent lit box.

Anyone fancy this for 4 hours?

Latest Threads