UK Transport Crisis?

I'm in Oxford
As an HGV instructor albeit in S Wales, be very wary of brokers.

A company near me thrives on the income generated, has a comparatively low pass rate and a high retest charge.

Go direct to the company. Look at the trucks they use: you should be able to get a 1 hour assessment drive for free. If the truck looks like a dog then there are problems.

We tend to recommend a 20 hour course, including test, for Cat C and for C+E, unless you’ve been driving large vehicles or have trailer experience in which case we drop to 16.

Ask if they have a dedicated reversing practice area. Any company worth its salt will have an area laid out identical to the one at the test centre for you to practice on. If they’re doing it in a truck yard using sticks and stones and discarded pallets they’re a joke and best avoided.
I’ve been in the commercial HGV training business for 8 years and was at DST before that .

Feel free to PM anytime.

syrup

LE
As an HGV instructor albeit in S Wales, be very wary of brokers.

A company near me thrives on the income generated, has a comparatively low pass rate and a high retest charge.

Go direct to the company. Look at the trucks they use: you should be able to get a 1 hour assessment drive for free. If the truck looks like a dog then there are problems.

We tend to recommend a 20 hour course, including test, for Cat C and for C+E, unless you’ve been driving large vehicles or have trailer experience in which case we drop to 16.

Ask if they have a dedicated reversing practice area. Any company worth its salt will have an area laid out identical to the one at the test centre for you to practice on. If they’re doing it in a truck yard using sticks and stones and discarded pallets they’re a joke and best avoided.
I’ve been in the commercial HGV training business for 8 years and was at DST before that .

Feel free to PM anytime.

Can I just echo the above.

Never underestimate the value of good training especially if your going to be agency working to start with.

A lot of companies still don't train agency men especially if there is a high turnover of drivers.

You'll need that training if it's pissing with rain at 02:00 and your backing on a bay or doing a change over with everyone watching.

Plus the test is so much easier if you know you are well trained and confident.

I actually enjoyed my test because I knew that I was capable of passing it

Not over confident just knew that if I did as I was taught then I was in with a good chance

Can I just echo the above.

Never underestimate the value of good training especially if your going to be agency working to start with.

A lot of companies still don't train agency men especially if there is a high turnover of drivers.

You'll need that training if it's pissing with rain at 02:00 and your backing on a bay or doing a change over with everyone watching.

Plus the test is so much easier if you know you are well trained and confident.

I actually enjoyed my test because I knew that I was capable of passing it

Not over confident just knew that if I did as I was taught then I was in with a good chance
Very much so.

I train to pass the test. Driving a truck is easy. Passing the test is difficult . Train hard, test easy.

All of the regular test routes,”do this, do that”, and then again “do it yourself”. Showing regular fail points and explanation as to why they occur and what to avoid. Picking up on points as they go.

A mock test which is generally failed to chrystalise how easy it is to fail. General advice: “ do NOT chat to the examiner. It is your job to pass the test, not to entertain a bored examiner”.

Reversing and uncoupling practice until you are so confident you are bored.

Visit to the test centre and watch the beginning of a test. Explanation of procedures etc to reduce stress on the day and explanation of test pass and fail criteria re minor faults and serious/fail points.

If your instructor doesn’t do all the above then he’s not doing his job.

Last edited:
Bollox. I thought I'd got this all sorted out in my head.

Thanks to all for pointing out the significant error that I nearly made. I'll do a it more research before I actually sign anything or part with any wonga.

Oh! this will amuse the troops. I've been kicking my heals and not worked for a while now. Can't even think about going back to the NHS, so having pondered long and hard, decided to retrain and go down the HGV route and shared my plan with my wife. You'd think I'd just shit in her undies draw.....negative doesn't even come close. There's no pleasing some people is there? Rant over.

kieren21

Clanker
Bollox. I thought I'd got this all sorted out in my head.

Thanks to all for pointing out the significant error that I nearly made. I'll do a it more research before I actually sign anything or part with any wonga.

Oh! this will amuse the troops. I've been kicking my heals and not worked for a while now. Can't even think about going back to the NHS, so having pondered long and hard, decided to retrain and go down the HGV route and shared my plan with my wife. You'd think I'd just shit in her undies draw.....negative doesn't even come close. There's no pleasing some people is there? Rant over.

What are her issues? I and others here can give an opinion from experience in whether she’s right or wrong. Might help.

What are her issues? I and others here can give an opinion from experience in whether she’s right or wrong. Might help.

Thanks for the offer. She's spoken to a retired HGV2 driver who retired last year. He worked multi drop for united bakeries and said he was on about £12ph.

I'm interested in HGV1 night tramping so away from home for a week or so at a time.

I wonder if she''ll be any more enthusiastic when the money starts coming in, despite the fact that I'll be working my nuts off somewhere to earn it FOR HER?

Not that I'm bitter or anything

kieren21

Clanker
Thanks for the offer. She's spoken to a retired HGV2 driver who retired last year. He worked multi drop for united bakeries and said he was on about £12ph.

I'm interested in HGV1 night tramping so away from home for a week or so at a time.

I wonder if she''ll be any more enthusiastic when the money starts coming in, despite the fact that I'll be working my nuts off somewhere to earn it FOR HER?

The role you want is the exact one I do.

Why do you want nights?

If you enjoy nights it’s for winners. I couldn’t go back to days through choice.

My cousin does class 2 multi drop and it’s my idea of hell. He does more drops in a few days than I do in a month but he swears by it.

Why do you want nights?

If you enjoy nights it’s for winners. I couldn’t go back to days through choice.

My cousin does class 2 multi drop and it’s my idea of hell. He does more drops in a few days than I do in a month but he swears by it.

I like days. And steel or timber because I’m idle and can’t be arsed doing hard labour. Steel and timber? Take the straps off and stay out of the way.

Multi drop is terrible in my opinion. Trying to find small businesses in the winter dark? Not for me.

Horses for courses. I know someone who swears by long haul international . Away 3 weeks out of 4, lots of money but lots of paperwork. Mind you, his wife is a monster and his kids are feral so I’d avoid home as well.

Each to his own.

Why do you want nights?

I've always liked working nights. It's 'stiller'. I think it also pays a bit more.

Generally speaking, I'm not a great fan of humans, so the less interaction I have with the general population, the better. So night tramping then day sleeping would work for me.

Couldn't do multi drop. That would drive me insane(r) within a few hours.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
I've always liked working nights. It's 'stiller'. I think it also pays a bit more.

Generally speaking, I'm not a great fan of humans, so the less interaction I have with the general population, the better. So night tramping then day sleeping would work for me.

Thats how my wife would describe me! & she'd be right too! I've been doing class 1's on nights for over 20years now, I don't think I could handle days at all now.

Truxx

LE
Next time you see any bollox on twitter or fizzogbook from folks bleating about this all to do with Brexit cut,and post this as a response:

From Whites Transport Services.

Brakes Newark is another RDC on my list we will never go to again.

This morning we had a driver arrive slightly late due to being held up in an accident. Driver used his initiative to call them to explain. When he arrived he was sin binned. After 5hrs of waiting they told the driver they will not unload today and come back at 10:20 tomorrow. Over 25hrs of waiting because we were a bit late.

This means we failed the 2 onward loads and let down 2 important customers.

I asked for the paperwork back. They said We can keep it till tomorrow they said. No thanks. We are retuning the goods to where they come from. We are not prepared to wait.

The reason the supply chain is struggling and shelves are empty is because of the thousands of hours every day that is lost due to RDC’s up and down the country taking this piss out of hauliers and drivers. Think how many extra deliveries can be made every day if these RDC’s were forced to unload on time. And they should be invoiced £50 per hours for every hour past the booking time where we are made to wait.

Arrive on time. - made to wait.
Arrive early - made to wait.
Arrive late - made to wait.

Driver moans - Banned from site.

It’s about time these places were black listed by other hauliers. Only when they don’t get their goods to supply their customers they may understand that it is not acceptable to treat hauliers & drivers like this. We travel to many countries in Europe. They do not operate the same, arrive and unload (providing its in their opening hours obviously)

Brakes Newark is the absolute lowest of the low RDC. Utter despise the place.

The management should be ashamed of the disrespect they give to hauliers and drivers. I hope they read this.

Truxx

LE

I try and drive at night wherever I can. I set off at 4 yesterday but by 10 past 5 the M6 was gridlocked.

Shortage of truckers? Not on my bit of the M6. North and south, both inside lanes nose to tail trucks. It did not ease off till I was south of Oxford on the M40.

It was like at 0500 all the traffic got switched on.

Will be setting off earlier next time.

Next time you see any bollox on twitter or fizzogbook from folks bleating about this all to do with Brexit cut,and post this as a response:

From Whites Transport Services.

Brakes Newark is another RDC on my list we will never go to again.

This morning we had a driver arrive slightly late due to being held up in an accident. Driver used his initiative to call them to explain. When he arrived he was sin binned. After 5hrs of waiting they told the driver they will not unload today and come back at 10:20 tomorrow. Over 25hrs of waiting because we were a bit late.

This means we failed the 2 onward loads and let down 2 important customers.

I asked for the paperwork back. They said We can keep it till tomorrow they said. No thanks. We are retuning the goods to where they come from. We are not prepared to wait.

The reason the supply chain is struggling and shelves are empty is because of the thousands of hours every day that is lost due to RDC’s up and down the country taking this piss out of hauliers and drivers. Think how many extra deliveries can be made every day if these RDC’s were forced to unload on time. And they should be invoiced £50 per hours for every hour past the booking time where we are made to wait.

Arrive on time. - made to wait.
Arrive early - made to wait.
Arrive late - made to wait.

Driver moans - Banned from site.

It’s about time these places were black listed by other hauliers. Only when they don’t get their goods to supply their customers they may understand that it is not acceptable to treat hauliers & drivers like this. We travel to many countries in Europe. They do not operate the same, arrive and unload (providing its in their opening hours obviously)

The management should be ashamed of the disrespect they give to hauliers and drivers. I hope they read this.
Mr Bother has experenced this everytime he has done non oilfield work, He refused RDC work and only does the occasional oil & gas related jobs , better treated and always made welcome.

Gone2ratshat

Clanker

It’s about time these places were black listed by other hauliers
. Only when they don’t get their goods to supply their customers they may understand that it is not acceptable to treat hauliers & drivers like this. We travel to many countries in Europe. They do not operate the same, arrive and unload (providing its in their opening hours obviously)

Good idea , it may kick them into touch.

Site Admin

Old-Salt
Not enough trannies driving tranny's going by this Ex-RN driver's closing comments:

Tranny.png

They look like a 3rd party/broker that then find you training near where you live?
Where do you live as good training is paramount.

The registered office is a rented office space in central london, that starts alarm bells ringing.
I think they are a broker & not an actual training provider?

Thanks for flagging that up. Could've ended badly.

I'm now using these:

Spoke to Kim herself about an hour ago and like what she has to say. She's even given me a discount for being ex-Mil.

And an added bonus is that they're local to me.

This is an entirely new profession for me, so I'm very appreciative of all of the advice and guidance given by those that are already doing it. Thanks troops.

Can anyone explain this to me which is posted on indeed, I.e. PAYE & PAYE rolled up or is it just a con & tye rate is 14.5?

Pay Rates:

We can offer the following pay rates on this contract (on PAYE basis including holiday pay):

Days:

• PAYE (accrue holiday on top): £14.50ph
  • PAYE Rolled up (includes holiday pay and additional to cover deductions in hourly rate): £18.50ph
Nights:

• PAYE (accrue holiday on top) : £16.00ph
  • PAYE Rolled up (includes holiday pay and additional to cover deductions in hourly rate) : £20.00ph