UK Transport Crisis?

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
And there will still be nowhere decent to park/sleep/eat/piss/poo/shower/swap trailers. DVSA will still attempt to tell me how to secure awkward loads even if they would not know an optimum loading point if it bit them on the arrse, car drivers would still cut in front of me in the sports truck then slow to 45 MPH, the useless CPC system will remain, owner drivers will still get squeezed till their eyeballs burst, fuel will still cost a kings ransom; the list of things that will not change is endless.
Add to that, the Greens have been allowed to kick the ball in Scotland.

Are Hermes good to work for?
Most couriers I ever worked for were pretty slick: night trunk arrives at national hub in the midlands, the driver goes for dinner in the canteen, and exactly 45 minutes later will have been unloaded, reloaded and ready to head back to his regional depot. Depot night shift sorts the load for delivery, then van couriers deliver, picking up next night's deliveries along their routes.
The van drivers graft, because they're up against the clock delivering to homes, offices, farms etc. The trunker driver has a simple life, usually 6 nights per week and little manual handling.
Are Hermes good to work for?

Most couriers I ever worked for were pretty slick: night trunk arrives at national hub in the midlands, the driver goes for dinner in the canteen, and exactly 45 minutes later will have been unloaded, reloaded and ready to head back to his regional depot. Depot night shift sorts the load for delivery, then van couriers deliver, picking up next night's deliveries along their routes.
The van drivers graft, because they're up against the clock delivering to homes, offices, farms etc. The trunker driver has a simple life, usually 6 nights per week and little manual handling.

Ok thanks. There’re looking for class 2 day and night drivers at a depot, although it’s an hours drive from me.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Looking at doing the online CPC courses being offered, about £45 a module I think.

I live in the Leamington area and there appears to be quite a call for drivers, will have to go on a refresher and be honest and say the last time I drove an HGV was when I used to drive 300 tonne mobile cranes about 9 years ago.

Truxx

LE
Looking at doing the online CPC courses being offered, about £45 a module I think.

I live in the Leamington area and there appears to be quite a call for drivers, will have to go on a refresher and be honest and say the last time I drove an HGV was when I used to drive 300 tonne mobile cranes about 9 years ago.
The gap between my HGV 1 driving has been 30 years, although I have driven a tri axle wrecker in between. You will be fine.

Signed up for a combined C+E & CPC today. Hopefully, I'll be driving by Chrimbo.

So, bye bye NHS and being dicked around and hello to lorries and being dicked around.

New adventures. Onwards and upwards.

kieren21

Clanker
Signed up for a combined C+E & CPC today. Hopefully, I'll be driving by Chrimbo.

So, bye bye NHS and being dicked around and hello to lorries and being dicked around.

New adventures. Onwards and upwards.

Good luck, when’s your course?

Any questions now or whenever you start the job for real I’ve no doubt someone here will put you right.

Good luck, when’s your course?

Any questions now or whenever you start the job for real I’ve no doubt someone here will put you right.

No dates as such yet. Medical should be within the next couple of weeks then I can get on with the theory stuff whilst I wait for the DVLA to get their shite together. It does sound like it'll be a hurry up and wait thing with them. If it all goes well though, it should all be done and dusted in about 10 weeks.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Right, decision made.

Will be arranging cpc modules to learn over the next few weeks, and will be looking at working for an agency in the West Midlands in Coventry, Leamington, Banbury area.

I think working for an agency will hopefully let me choose my working day due to other commitments.

Two questions ...any recommended agencies near me and is it worth getting an ADR licence with my training fund I have set aside for this year ?

Right, decision made.

Will be arranging cpc modules to learn over the next few weeks, and will be looking at working for an agency in the West Midlands in Coventry, Leamington, Banbury area.

I think working for an agency will hopefully let me choose my working day due to other commitments.

Two questions ...any recommended agencies near me and is it worth getting an ADR licence with my training fund I have set aside for this year ?

I specifically want to do tramping work, preferably in the UK, as I don't fancy running the gauntlet in Europe at the mo.

Presumably, I'll end up agency for a time and will continue that until the right gig comes up. Personally, I don't want full time employment and would prefer agency so that I can pick the days I can or cannot work.

I really like the idea of night tramping (better money) where I'll be away from home for a week or so. I'll find out more during my training.

kieren21

Clanker
Right, decision made.

ADR imho only becomes worth your time/money if you do tanks or gases.

General haulage/containers with a bit of ADR in the mix - the extra pay for the qualification is laughable.

I let mine lapse because it became more hassle to deal with for basically £5 a day. (I wish I was joking).

I have no dealings with it anymore so it may have changed in the current climate though.

General haulage/containers with a bit of ADR in the mix - the extra pay for the qualification is laughable.

I let mine lapse because it became more hassle to deal with for basically £5 a day. (I wish I was joking).

I have no dealings with it anymore so it may have changed in the current climate though.

I am thinking about it as an option, but I'll be guided by what I learn on my courses.

I still think it's weird that I'll earn more and work less delivering medical gasses to the NHS than I do working as a B6 Paramedic for the NHS. And I'll not have to suffer NHS management koonts and backstabing shite students.......so ****'em. I'm off.

Agreed.

I got an extra £1/hr for ADR.

At £500 for the course plus 4 days missed pay you need a lot of hours just to cover the cost.

If you can get someone else to pay for it though.....

RTU'd

LE
This lot

They seem to know what they're about.
They look like a 3rd party/broker that then find you training near where you live?
Where do you live as good training is paramount.

The registered office is a rented office space in central london, that starts alarm bells ringing.
I think they are a broker & not an actual training provider?

Last edited:

2000AD

Old-Salt
Right, decision made.

Rapier Recruitment and Pertemps. Both have an ex forces Liason. So might be worth a go. Pertemps cover east mis and Rapier West Mids. I'm on Pertemps books as I'm closer to Leicester. Yet to start doing weekend stuff as I'm just sorting my normal during the week stuff after a change of contract.

2000AD

Old-Salt
Going on personal experience maybe hold off on the ADR. I did mine but was later advised that the stuff that generally moves under those rules is usually moved by emploers where they want more driving experience. However that was a few months back and things may have changed since

They look like a 3rd party/broker that then find you training near where you live?
Where do you live as good training is paramount.

The registered office is a rented office space in central london, that starts alarm bells ringing.
I think they are a broker & not an actual training provider?

I'm in Oxford