UK Trades Training Feedback

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by I Cannie Da it Sgt, Oct 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone, I would just like to give a bit of feedback to any service leavers or anyone thinking about leaving and how I used my entitlements to fund the course that I am currently attending.
    To start with I found a course that suited me i.e a 5 week multi trade success in self employment course, I could mix and match this course with various trades to make the 5 weeks, so I chose 2 weeks tiling 2 weeks plastering and 1 week plumbing (bathroom fitting) with UK Trades Training. As soon as you walk in the premises you are greeted with a smiley face and a big hello, all the staff are very friendly and it is not long before you have a brew in your hand and you are receiving the safety brief by Darren followed by the business brief followed on by your course brief.
    You then go on to meet your instructor, the instructor is straight into the practical lesson, you will work so far then you will go into a classroom and be briefed on the technical side followed on by the practical again. The one thing that strikes me and the rest of the students is the amount of information that is given to me/us and it is soon apparent that it is not as simple as putting a tile on the wall, picking any old adhesive or just attaching one pipe to another, like I said the instructors go into depth and I am firing questions at the instructors all the time. The instructors also say that they are on had if I have any Q's once I leave the course and this is quite evident with past students popping in for a chat or ask Q's and get the answer, I still have 2 weeks left and I am very much looking forward to the rest of the course, so I will update in about 2 weeks.

I will just chat about how I funded the course, as mentioned before I found the course that I wanted in plenty of time, I then applied to the resettlement staff for the ELC funding , you may not be aware that the ELC covers 80% of the course fee (depending on cost) leaving me £460 to fund myself, I then chose to use my IRTC grant, once again through my educational/resettlement staff, you will be given an advance of 80% which goes in with your monthly pay so if you miss the pay run it will go in the following month, once you have completed the course you can then claim the additional 20% of the IRTC.

Through my coy clerk I booked the accommodation 30 days in advance (night subsistence), once I was given the bookings I then put in an advance on JPA and as soon as the advance came through I cleared the bill then submitted the claim on JPA to clear the advance. I again submitted an advance on JPA for day subsistence and I will clear that at the end of the course, I would strongly advise anyone in their resettlement period to read JSP 534 as when I went to the resettlement/education staff they told me that I was not entitled to a hotel, once I pointed out that I had read the JSP and met all the criteria they backed down, my main point here is how many personnel have they said that to and got away with it?

The point of this thread is to give guidance to service leavers and to let them know what I have done, if you have something positive to leave then please do, if not then do not say anything as you will just spoil the feedback/learning curve.
  2. Hi Mate
    Thanks for the post, glad your enjoying the course, just 2 weeks plastering to go now, i bet the weeks have gone fast, doesnt seem 2 minutes since you first started

website UK Trades Training
  3. They have flown past, yep looking forward to the last week and a few days, I feel like part of the family now.

Spent the last few days doing skimming, different walls ie corners windows, bloody hell does Derek make it look easy or what, I used the sponge on the plaster and it was as if I had super glue on it, to watch Derik work and to hear what he has to put across is amazing, going onto browning tomorrow and also deciding what courses I would like to do the other side of April to use my second lot of ELC.
  4. Hi mate
    Heavy day comming up with the browning on the brick walls, you will enjoy it although your arms and shoulders might not, have fun

5. This is all very nice and seems almost scripted, like watching an episode of neighbours in the nineties. However, on a positive note glad you are enjoying your resettlement training, and good luck with gaining employment.
  6. Hi Partir, not scripted, trust me, my integrity is far too high, however thank you for the latter, maybe you should book on a cse or pay the centre a visit to find out what they actually do and what goes on? (The balls on your court)

Now into my last week and the first week of plastering was like a beasting session, well done Derek, you should visit my Bn and give the fatties a plastering lesson!! But then again you had better not as they may go sick??

Now starting the final week , like I said and it was another long day, taking down all our/my work and fitting the plaster board from new, looking forward to tomorrow (oh the joys).
  7. I am genuinely happy for you that you are enjoying your course.

However, I d like to give my professional opinion if I may. With no disrespect to the company or yourself, this "5 week Multi-trade course" is nothing more than an advanced DIY course.

There is no possible way that anyone could learn the trades of Tiling, Plastering and (bathroom) plumbing in 5 weeks, (maybe 5 years), and any company claiming so should be approached with caution.

The chances of gaining employment, and retaining it with such "qualifications" are next to none, most Trades apprentices are wet behind the ears after 6 months, even though they see the work on a daily basis. Someone thrown into "a Trade" cannot relate to the absolute basics in 5 weeks, let alone get certification.

"Success in self-employment" as well in the 5 weeks, christ we re going some. After my 3 yr apprenticeship I really started learning, and 10 yrs later, I became self-employed, when I thought that I was in a position to do so, had gained enough experience and "sort of" knew the market.

Sorry, but its only an insight. Squaddies becoming civvys tend to be very naiive and are easily duped into believing that they can do such a course and become a Master Tradesmen over night

Anyone interested in becoming a Carpenter or Joiner, or both can work for me for 6 months, and learn the basics and a bit of the advanced, (or witness it) I wont charge you a penny, I might even pay you.

Quote: "The point of this thread is to give guidance to service leavers and to let them know what I have done, if you have something positive to leave then please do, if not then do not say anything as you will just spoil the feedback/learning curve." Unquote

This isnt negative, its just fact. I m sure the courses are run by professional Tradesmen, but I dont think that you ll be tiling, plumbing, plastering up to spec and speed to earn a living out of it. That will take time and practice.
  8. Aleegee,
    Well at least you got the quote right, it is all about what I have done on the Cse and how I went about it, I am also interested in the amount of views the thread has had the that you are the only one to leave a bit of a negative note all be it you did wish me well.
    I can say it is like any course really such as a driving/signals/1st Aid/NEBOSH/managers/checkout assistant/shelf stacker, the list is endless. The point being this 5 week cse gives you a bloody good in depth hands on instruction, given to you by current tradesmen.
    You may know of the squaddie ‘can do attitude’ and that is what it is all about, do I want to stack shelves/sweep the streets or carry your kit (thanks for the offer by the way), the answer is no. I want to get out there and work hard and also produce some bloody good work, now I am not saying that it is going to be easy, however I can choose the jobs that I want and I have also built up friendship’s with the instructors and the other students, some of them are already tradesmen and are enhancing their skills, I am also quite sure that if the cse was not up to much cop then they would down tools and demand their money back?
    Maybe you should pay the centre a visit and see what actually goes on?
    I would also add, that everyone one resettlement or about to start, has a long hard look at what you want to do and go for it, don’t let any doubter hold you back, after all, it is not what I could have done, it is what I have done.
  9. Sniff..... sniff..... hmmmmm
  10. I m not going to turn this thread into a slanging match.

FYI, going back to the middle ages, a traditional apprenticeship was 3-5 years, regardless what trade it was. This carried on in the UK until the mid 70s, and was unfortunately superseded by Colleges offering "Master Tradesmen in 6 months" type courses. There are still 3 yr apprenticeships being run in the UK and I have worked with a few Chippies who have accomplished this.

Just to show how little you know about the Construction Industry, with your "Slow learner" remark, I think you ll find that there is much more to any trade than what you percieve, i.e a Tiler "Slapping tiles on the wall". 3 Yrs is a minimum where I learnt, covering the actual Trade itself, i.e making products out of wood, Economics, mathematics, geometry, CNC programming, 3 in-course courses: the joining of wood, 6 weeks, Wood-working machinery, 6 weeks, Spraying and finishing course-6 weeks. 1st year test, in our case making a CD Rack, 2nd year test, make a table, 3rd and final year the Apprentice piece, a piece of furniture designed and made by yourself. On completion of this and annual written tests, it culminates in 2 days of final assessment to see if you are good enough to become a Tradesman. 5 weeks?

OK so far?

I do not need to witness the UK Trade Training company, I m sure they know what they are doing, as I do. I m not going to blow my trumpet here, but I have been running my company successfully for the last 12 yrs, so I do not require any advice from a Pioneer, thx. I dont quite think that I am too worried about your super-duper ex-Soldiers stealing any custom from myself or any other established company.

You have no idea whatsoever about the skill required, or over-pricing for that matter, I can read inbetween the lines that you are one of the masses that think we all drive 911s and rip people off. You ll only rip someone off once, then your name is dirt, so dont do it. You only get repeat custom by carrying out all works to an exceptional standard, so you get what you pay for, if I had someone working for me as a Subby who had done a "5-weeker", I would pay him according to his experience, which puts him right at the bottom, and I can tell a Tradesmen Chancer by the way he walks, I ve dumped more after 1 hour than I care to remember.

And dont preach to me about being a Soldier. I may of only done 8 yrs, but I assure you my training wasnt completed in 2 weeks, is that the case with the Pioneers then?

Wishing you all the best with your future in the CI, and remember, "Do a job properly, or not at all".
  11. What was that I detected....?

a slight aroma of .....
  12. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however your opinion is based upon what you think and of what can be learned in a short period of time, i take it you have never visited a good centre and seen the work produced, you forget that an apprentice at 16 years old is just going through the motions, not fully interested, and when has he time to learn to actually practice the tecniques, he doesnt, he is to busy doing the crappy stuff like cleaning up and humping the gear in and out, ive been there myself, you cannot compare full on training in a centre to apprentiship training, There are plenty tradesmen out there that have 20 years experience, that doesnt make them good, if your no good you will allways be no good, some people are naturally good at DIY so it doesnt take long to teach them professional ways and they progress very fast

So as to your comments about not been able to make a business from a short course, well you are wrong as if you came into our centre we have hundreds of business cards from some of our past learners who are still trading today

At a training centre the demonstrations are crystal clear and explained fully to you where you are then immediatly doing that work yourself and practicing it over and over again, you quickly become good

We dont proclaim to make anyone an expert but what you will get is the full understanding of all the correct ways of doing the job correctly which you can build on very quickly, Ive lost count of how many businesses have set up over the 8 years we have been trading, hundereds and hundreds might even be in the thousands now, peolpe satrt off slow taking on jobs that they are comfortable with in the domestic market and build their confidence up and as you said its a learnong curve but you have to start somewhere.
    An apprentiship is great at 16 and all you need is 80 quid so you can get some beer down your neck on a Saturday night, different story when your 25 - 50 years old and you need to start a new career, learn fast and make some money to pay your bills so i think the offer of someone comming with you for the next 6 months for free is a nice gesture for them to learn but in reallity how can you survive with no income for the next 6 months

Certain trades like yours as a carpenter might take longer, but we do not teach joinery

So my comments are factual, where your comments are your opinions, ive been an apprentice, ive had apprentices and now i have taught the trade for over 8 years

This post is not to set out for an argument, just trying to get my point accross as you have done

UK Trades Training
  13. I fully agree with you. I just wanted to say that you cannot become a Tradesman in 5 weeks, but I also went on to say that the courses should be seen as an insight, your attitude already puts you in a good position to make something out of the basics, but it will take time, and in the case of being Self-employed, even longer, its not just about using your tools, its about knowing the market as a whole, and it is not an easy one to be involved in, but very rewarding when you are more established.

UK Trades Training are probably doing all in their power within the 5 weeks to teach you the basics, and I m sure you will be thankful to them. It was not my intention to to belittle anything or anyone, just to state the facts.

All the best in your new venture, perfection, pride, honesty and responsibility are paramount in becoming and staying successful
  14. See my last two posts. I almost totally agree, however, I know how Squaddies tick, I ve personally witnessed ex 22 yr Soldiers who have done a "Plumber course" for 5 weeks and have been told they ll be on 50k p.a. I m not a Plumber myself, but the ever changing technology and the amount of responsibility a plumber has to deal with nowadays needs vast amounts of experience, obviously only gained on-site.

My comments are not only my opinion, they are also factual. We do not need to compare a 2 or 3 yr apprenticed Ceramic-Tiler to someone who has seen the basics on a 5 week course, it is self-explanitory.

I have stated in my last 2 posts that it was not my intention to belittle your services, on the contrary, as you say yourself, either you ve got it or you havent, and in the case of the havent, a 3 yr apprenticeship wont help either!:)
  15. I have now finished my last wek of the course and also the last week of plastering, this was a fantastic course I am glad that I did the second week as I got my plastering skills upto speed, I also have my first plastering job in a few weeks for a member of my family and I am looking forward to it, I would like to say a big thank you to Darren and all his staff (instructors).