UK told to give immigrants benefits by EU

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Madjock72, May 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Brussels has told IDS that his benefit reforms have stopped giving money to immigrants who enter the country and its unfair. If its not resolved they are taking it too the EU courts to force the change.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. You know, we must have seriously dented some people's feelings, as I was talking to a Portuguese lady working here and she said that she would not get a bean in benefits if she returned to Portugal, as she has not paid in, I do not see anyone taking Portugal to court, or the UCHR, why are they always hammering us, I would tell them to go forth and multiply.
    Yes that was 2nd attempt at last bit as I initially forgot where I was.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The Tories will love it. This will take a year or so to get to any further and, just in time for the next election, he'll be able to stand up and denounce those interfering bureaucrats and damn them to hell.
    • Like Like x 10
  4. Bouillabaisse

Mmmm. well that's my brothers out - they were borne in Africa whilst my dad was serving there. And all those children of the British serving in the Indian Army having their pensions removed. Sounds like a plan.

Why the **** are we getting all these BNP/EDL fuckwits all of a sudden?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Perhaps we need proof of 10 generations on both sides just to be sure, I am sure that should slim the numbers down nicely.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. More ammunition for Niggle Farridge (non-francophone rendition of his name to avoid any filthy Euro-taint to his name) and the rest of the UKIP posse. honestly, you'd almost believe that the Euro-apparachiks don't want us to be in their gang any more.......
  7. angry-mob.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Almost makes you want to vote UKIP.
  9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Customary to post a link to the subject of outrage: UK faces court action over EU migrants’ access to benefits -

We have been here before:
    CURIA - Documents

Even with the backing of the German Govt. We did not succeed.

With regard to the Portuguese example given in another post, I would not think that runs contrary to EU Law as it applies to all residents in Portugal, you only get if you have payed in, whereas in the case above and the case being offered bu the Commission is that the British Govt is applying one standard to its own Citizens and another to different EU Nationals.

The case involves the concepts of "habitual residence" and "actively seeking employemnt in the XX job market" both somewhat hazy and ill defined, moreover there is a question of whether benefits should be extended to dependents that are non-domiciles, ie not living in the country whether the parent is working.

Its an intersting case, with an established bit of case law, I expect other members to wade in with support for the UK in this one.
  10. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They would be fine, I would think, as they would fall under the Britsh Nationality Act of 1948.
  11. Whilst my cousin who was due to come and stay with us over the summer gets refused entry. Because she said she wanted to use the time to study. When I call immigration to ask what the problem is, I get told by someone who can barely string a sentence together in English that I should mind my own business. WTF.
  12. Looks like germany isint happy about the ruling also and would back the UK if it goes too court.
    Lets put it this way if they do manage to change IDS reform and get that every immigrant that enters the country is entitled to welfare, how the hell are we going to pay for that. Since we are lifting immigration barriers in 2014 just how many east Europeans will enter or come. Thinking about it how many greeks and spanish bods are going to come for free money as they have got bugger all as their countries are dire strates. If it was a case of starving to death, I would do the same and have a security blanket.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. It's just EU immigrants they are worried about. The problem is that EU rules say you have to give the same benefits to EU citizens as to your own. Hence the Portuguese lady mentioned. She wouldnt get benefits in Portugal if she hadn't paid in because nobody does. She gets benefits in UK because everybody does. Same with healthcare. You only get emergency treatment in Spain unless you've paid into the system because that's the way it works for the Spanish. In UK every EU citizen gets free treatment because the nationals do. Wonder why UKIP is getting more popular?
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bouillabaisse

psychpomp was suggesting that birth in the UK be the criterion for benefits. Interestingly the British Nationality Act was superceded in the 80s and effectively disenfranchised a whole load of people. Spike Milligan was the most famous victim, which is why he became an Irish citizen