UK to trial 3 military vehicles, BAE left out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Jun 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. UK to trial 3 military vehicles, BAE left out
    Thu Jun 7, 2007 4:30 PM BST30

LONDON, June 7 (Reuters) - Britain's Ministry of Defence selected three military vehicles for trials on Thursday as part of Future Rapid Effect System (FRES), a programme expected to be worth 14 billion pounds ($27.90 billion).

The ministry selected the Piranha from General Dynamics, the Boxer from German-Dutch consortium Artec, and the VBCI from France's Nexter.

BAE Systems, supplier of 95 percent of the UK's armoured vehicles, said it was disappointed to be left out but still hoped to play a role in FRES, possibly in integrating the programme.

"We believe it had the greatest growth potential but accept it was the least mature," BAE said in a statement regarding its SEP 8x8 vehicle.

Artec includes Krauss-Maffei Wegmann and Rheinmetall Landsysteme of Germany and Dutch company Stork.
  2. Hopefully not
    I love this quote, what it means of course that they were disappointed that the MoD has abandoned its usual practice of bankrolling all of BAE's R&D at the Armed Forces and the tax payers expense
  3. Looks like someone's getting their knuckles rapped for the whole Saudi Arabian imbroglio.
  4. Whilst these may offer the better product, does anyone seriously expect the US, German and Dutch or the French Governments to buy from anyone but their native arms industries?

Or to misquote Jihad does anyone expect them to "bankroll another country's industry's R&D at their Armed Forces and their tax payers expense"?
  5. I'd rather it be cos their product wasen't good enough rather than punishment for a dodgy deal being aired .
  6. Ah but BAE is seriously considering delisting in London to become an American Company which would allow their spending spree on American Arms companies to continue.
  7. With regard to the Boxer, don't forget that the UK was one of the originators of this programme.
  8. [​IMG]

It looks very smart indeed. However, what is it for? It would probably be useful in Afghanistan at the moment although I hate to think what it would look like with Bar Armour. It doesn't look like it would be a likely replacement for Warrior and as far as I can see, isn't configured to survive large mines like the modern wheeled mine protected vehicle. Hit a mine with that and one of the wheels comes up through the hull.
  9. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Took the words right out of my mouth!
  10. its supposed to replace 432s and saxon something mod knew had to be replaced in the 1970s :(
    on the bright side by the time it enters service in 2020 we only need to by 12 :twisted: maybe 14 if we want the ta to have them as well :cry:
  11. The UK payed nearly £200M to extract itself from the programme a few years ago. I think Alvis Vickers were responsible for the mission module.

The MOD asked for a vehicle to replace FV430 and Saxon that had a large internal volume, then when Boxer turned up, said "it's too big for FRES". Now the C130 requirement has been dropped (at last) and with the A400 requirement possibly being dropped (Airbus military won't commit to a 34 tonne payload without more cash), Boxer is back in the frame.

Based upon recent operational experience, which brought protection to the fore, the 3 vehicles are contenders are in the frame for the utility variant of FRES (troop carrier, C2 etc).

With regard to your comments about Boxer's mine protection. It is very well protected with suspended seats, double skin floor, and sacrificial wheel stations. The chassis was designed by the Germans I think, and they know a bit about running gear.
  12. Is this a bit of spin? Or elsewhere in the article does it also say that Patria and Iveco were also not down selected?

3 from 6 but only BAE quoted as left out?

Merely wondering!
  13. It's like a plane crash, unless there were British people on board, no-one is really interested. Shame about Patria, the AMV looks quite tasty. Poles have bought loads.