UK to stay in Afghanistan for decades

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by predatorplus, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

2. we will stay...until the Americans tell us we can leave.

Cynical? Moi?
  3. No....the Chinese will takeover!!!
  4. If it went to a referendum in the UK I have no doubt all troops would be out inside 48 hours , let the locals kill each other , it isn't our problem and certainly isn't worth one more British life being lost
  5. It all depends on how much dosh Gorden Brown has hidden away until he becomes PM. How else is he going to help everyone he's promised so far.
  6. Ten years may be optimistic...

Look how long it took with the Oirish :(

Just my opinion, and I'm sure people will disagree, but I think we'll need to be there until there's a generation of people that are sufficiently educated, and disenfanchised with violence (particularly that caused by religion), that they actively want something else that will not cause the rest of the world to maintain a military presence on their land. They need to have grown up wanting that something else, and want to better themselves and their community, rather than grow poppies. Forget democracy - the first thing we need to do, right now, is teach them to read and write, (especially the girls), provide them with TV and the internet so they can see the rest of the world, and then let them come to their own conclusions. This is the reason why the Taleban are fond of attacking schools.

In Iraq, I believe a similar thing needs to happen. Perhaps they need a series of "peace walls", a la Belfast, for the kids there to see the idiocy of the situation they will inherit.

Edited for mlaar spelling
  7. Give it another 10 yrs....China will be in control.....making all weapons to include all weapons, ships and aircraft........and we will be buying it like going to ARGOS!!!
  8. Does this annoucement surprise anyone?