UK to scrap two-year defence budgets

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Apr 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in full
  2. there should be 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, and 1 year plans with degrees of certainty for each element of each plan. we should have a plan for CVF replacement (50 year) down to 1 year contracts for ammo and bog roll.

3. The fact that they are putting it back to one indicates some major cuts ahead
  4. No wonder drayson left. These guys (labour) have no clue about the long term planning requirements of industry.

Consumables on a one year plan.
    Minor hardware (boots, body armour) on 2 year plan.
    light vehicles on 5 year plan.
    medium vehicleson a 10 year plan.
    Heavy vehicles, transport aircraft and helos on 20 year plan.
    Fast jets, and ships on 50 year plan.

anything else means massive waste of tax-payers money. as industry cannot plan for the resources required.

As you say AJ, abandoning the two year plan suggest that it is going in the bin due to massive underfunding. (big cuts required)

I really have to get some figues together on this. If what I suspect is reflected in the figures, I think it would be interesting reading.

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Probably true but the immediate effect is that it means they can keep more info to their chest on programmes which leads to more denialibility and less political hassle when they decide to make cuts to them.

It is easy to see that it will annoy industry too. An unintended consequence of this policy change? Expect prices to go up as industry are required to run longer term programmes at what they will perceive to be at higher risk - exactly what the MoD doesn't need.

It all smacks of crisis management rather than pragmatic, longer term planning - pretty much sums up New Labour really....... :roll:
  6. so we have a defence budget then ??????????????