UK to purchase 2 Littoral Strike Ships

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
weren't 2 of the points put up for sale / released in 2010 - What happened with those

If they are still kicking around at MOD expense perhaps a sensible plan to get some use out of them
Wondering if this is a make work for which ever consortium doesn't get the T31e gig. The question is do they modify existing hulls or scratch build new.

Harland & Wolff did a chunk of work on the Points

SD Victoria. Not so sure about your statement of where and how it can be (or has been) used.
Came up in coversation with someone on the warfare side who is in the know about these things chatting about something not a million miles away from this using an existing LSD(A). And this was in the last couple of months aswell.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

weren't 2 of the points put up for sale / released in 2010 - What happened with those

If they are still kicking around at MOD expense perhaps a sensible plan to get some use out of them
I believe they were sold on and are doing runs in the baltic by whoever owns them now.

Render seems to suggest a modified Point Class or more likely something like this

MV C Ocean Trader - Wikipedia
Yeah so Fort Victoria could all of that right now in a military spec hull. How about we spend the money on getting the the new Future solid support ships out so they can support the carrier with the correct capacity and free up her to do all this stuff in tandem with one of the bay boats.

Boom just saved the government millions and she could sail tomorrow....

Came up in coversation with someone on the warfare side who is in the know about these things chatting about something not a million miles away from this using an existing LSD(A). And this was in the last couple of months aswell.

He may have been talking about the Northern River.

So when they say boats they mean only small fast boats and definitely no dock?
You dont have to have a dock for LCVPs, ORCs, those mental SF fast insertion craft, swimmer delivery vehicles and so on.

The two work boat davits on the arrse end of Fort Victoria (yes i shall keep going on about this) were specified to take an LCVP as well.

You dont have to have a dock for LCVPs, ORCs, those mental SF fast insertion craft, swimmer delivery vehicles and so on.

The two work boat davits on the arrse end of Fort Victoria (yes i shall keep going on about this) were specified to take an LCVP as well.

So is it simply that the Cost/Benefit ratio of a dock is not worth it?

Wondering if this is a make work for which ever consortium doesn't get the T31e gig. The question is do they modify existing hulls or scratch build new.

Harland & Wolff did a chunk of work on the Points
To be honest im of the opinion particularly in light of the Norgie misadventure - its time to build more vessels

Bear with me

Currently there is around 1.3 crews per hull allowing for people to be away, courses , shore billets etc

Type 45 cost the same for 6 hulls as it would have for 8 a product of build times

So Moving Forward - we Build 11 T26 - 2 will always be in maintenance / reserve dock
And Organise into 8 crews at 1 :1 + 2 nominal crews from Shore billets etc (with drafts between as required to facilitate life)
1 Does In out day trips for basic tng etc - counts as shore billet
2 are Work up hulls for the deployed vessels so crew can fly to ship
So we have 6 working hulls + 2 working hulls lets say Pre Deployment FOST

These 11 ships can do no more work than the 8 hulls planned as the manning is more or less the same although there will still be additional life costs regardless - but
1) Straight away we have a few hulls for resilience
2) Shorter build time and more in service will reduce unit costs and individual support costs - culling some of the less informed criticism and aiding export potential.
Work in Yards is more consistent reliable and we avoid critical mass
Repeat with T31 and ultimately T45* If plausible apply to SSN fleet but im more pessimistic about that**

Edit - or just leave as is and build 2 hulls attrition (in use) reserve - (same as we do aircraft and should do with Armour ).
Not advocating vast reserve fleets before @jim30 has palpatations

*If you want to go full fantasy fleet you can have HMS Royal Sovereign as the reserve carrier

** Question for our nautical brethren In light of Cold War 2 rearing its head -
If the RN needs to pick up the old patrol GIUK gap task -(and big assumption somebody agrees additional hulls are required and agrees (stop laughing) to fund them - stop it its a hypothetical)

Would the RN be bette of sticking to all SSN and getting an additional 3 hulls or for that task introducing 4 upholder Mk 2 with as many astute common systems etc (as the original did with T boats) ad balancing the logistics additional type and less flexibility against the reduced crew and costs.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Cross channel ferries....

ugly

LE
Provided we can drop ojeu after Brexit there is a chance these could be built here, a slim chance.

Yeah so Fort Victoria could all of that right now in a military spec hull. How about we spend the money on getting the the new Future solid support ships out so they can support the carrier with the correct capacity and free up her to do all this stuff in tandem with one of the bay boats.

Boom just saved the government millions and she could sail tomorrow....

Stop talking sense. No bugger will get on the Honours list your way.

Whats hillarious is that we have RFA fort victoria sitting about in crombie due to lack of money and people that has a 2 spot flight deck capable of taking chinook with a 3 spot hanger capable of taking merlin, ELINT capability, Role 2 hospital complex, accom, cranes for SF boats, ops room, planning space, defensive weapons fit, cargo hold space, and so on. Oh and we had two but we scrapped the other. And we have the bay class that could do this but we sold the forth one to the aussies.......

. . . and breathe! :)

Hmmm...

An economic uptick centered on East Belfast and NI being the home of a UK National Asset. Irritating or elating depending on your view of the economically unviable sectarian statelet/intergral part of the Union.
I think H&W can forget it. After the pay off,and the dysfunctional political system the DUP are going to be thrown under the bus ( with the rest of the place) at the earliest opportunity. ;)

well at least it's not a pair of LCS they would have been embarrassingly rubbish disaster relief and logistics would have been better suggestions

Looks to me like 1+1 =3
He has conclude they are replacing ships because they are an idea that surfaced previously when scrapping was (not really) considered - therefore we can ignore the will operate alongside Albion statement

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looks to me like 1+1 =3
He has conclude they are replacing ships because they are an idea that surfaced previously when scrapping was (not really) considered - therefore we can ignore the will operate alongside Albion statement
Yeah, he wasn't listening close enough

Screenshot_20190211-140213.jpg