UK to buy JLTV (Joint Light Tactical Vehicle)?

In Dublin, the LUAS tram system found that tram carriages from France and Spain, although officially identical and made by the same company, could not be joined electrically, as cannon plugs were too far apart so that when tramsets were being made up for use, they had to ensure that French carriages were not mixed with Spanish ones........same old. never buy the Mark 1 of anything.

Inside it is cramped almost beyond endurance. I am by no means big and tall and it was a squeeze for me and two average sized JNCOs from the Light Dragoons. When you throw webbing, weapons and daysack, there is no room whatsoever. Oh and it is the most uncomfortable military vehicle that I have ever travelled in.
And yet it passed through the procurement process and entered service despite this....

And yet it passed through the procurement process and entered service despite this....
I would be interested who actually did the user trials. The best placed would be what was and maybe still called CSS TDU in Aldershot. But whilst it may indeed have wheels, the fact it had a RWS on top, it may of gone somewhere else.

Apologies for the Daily Record link, but has this came up on the site yet?

Scots soldier killed in 'insane death trap' vehicle 10 years warning from expert

Seems the Jackal's had problems for a while.

Richard North

Think Lewis Paige without the antipathy to Engineers and ships

I once saw him (well read) arguing why Jackal wasn't what the Army wanted** to a serving officer just returned from Afghanistan who was explaining why sometimes its exactly what was wanted (by him).

Edit ah beaten to the punch -

**In effect open topped bad, If it hasn't got a big V hull bad - even MBT / Warrior type things are bad if they dont have a big v hull ( the idea its better not to be 3ft taller for vehicles whose primary threat is going to be direct fire - is a red herring - it still needs a v hull . If it isn't heavily protected bad -

Last edited:
Apologies for the Daily Record link
Too right. An acquaintance in PInfo was convinced that the Daily Record's entire editorial line consisted of "find things to beat the Armed Forces" - for any given opportunity, they'd avoid any good news, and by preference run a story that stuck in the boot. Utter sh!ts.

And of course, they've quoted Richard North...

I would be interested who actually did the user trials. The best placed would be what was and maybe still called CSS TDU in Aldershot. But whilst it may indeed have wheels, the fact it had a RWS on top, it may of gone somewhere else.
Follow the link to THINK DEFENCE, in my last post #257.

It seems Panther avoided the (inconvenience of the) selection procedure, and was added to the short-list with the three finalists that had endured that "inconvenience".

51 year old SDG Sgt killed when Jackal overturned in an out-of-bounds training area in Cattrick on Mon 4 Feb 19. No evidence that it was mechanical. More likely a discipline problem in SDG.
Big problem on Herrick was crews not wearing their harnesses especially when using the front mounted GPMG, if you get an IED hit you tend to get thrown out causing severe and possibly fatal injuries, I never wish to assume the SDG Sgt wasn't wearing his harness but it certainly sounds that way.

And Dr Richard North seems like a bit of a drama queen.

Big problem on Herrick was crews not wearing their harnesses especially when using the front mounted GPMG, if you get an IED hit you tend to get thrown out causing severe and possibly fatal injuries, I never wish to assume the SDG Sgt wasn't wearing his harness but it certainly sounds that way.

And Dr Richard North seems like a bit of a drama queen.
The Jackal/Coyote must be a horrible vehicle, what with the NZ, Aussie and Norwegian SOF among others buying them now as well. Dr "Dick" North sounds like he's just after airtime to sell books and his point of view.

Last edited:
I read a headline about a “Defence Expert” before seeing Richard North’s name - and a little bit of sick came up in the back of my throat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would think these are things that would be listed in a user requirement at the start of a project before the likes of evaluation and selection was done. That being said good to see they typical commonsense in the article, Who've thought a much larger, heavier and technologically advanced vehicle would require more maintenance than a Hummvee. More armor and protection comes at a cost be it situational awareness, space or the ability to get in or out. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

You would think these are things that would be listed in a user requirement at the start of a project before the likes of evaluation and selection was done. That being said good to see they typical commonsense in the article, Who've thought a much larger, heavier and technologically advanced vehicle would require more maintenance than a Hummvee. More armor and protection comes at a cost be it situational awareness, space or the ability to get in or out. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
This is the JLTV Programme that had a 14 month evaluation and test phase involving 22 vehicles from each of three suppliers? In this period no-one noticed the glaring problems?