UK to allow Chinese into 5G network

Well, at least it shows that the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has a sense of comedy timing.

CYBERUK 2019
Event details
When: 24 –25 April 2019
Where: Scottish Event Campus, Glasgow

NCSC

Well, at least it shows that the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has a sense of comedy timing.

CYBERUK 2019
Event details
When: 24 –25 April 2019
Where: Scottish Event Campus, Glasgow

NCSC
I hope the attendees can understand some Glaswegian - I bloody couldn't half the time I was there. Apart from f-off!

(...) If GCHQ gave her a bit of paper with "Huawei equals bad" written on it, and she just told them to swivel; I'd be suprised. You'd like to think the Cabinet would have turned around (especially in today's leaky circumstances) and say she'd gone the full Downfall. (...)
Like the UK, Canada has so far been reluctant to ban Huawei kit despite heavy US pressure. I read the GCHQ report on Huawei kit a while ago. It seemed like a very reasoned and balanced analysis and aligned well with what technical people in the IT industry had been saying for a while. In short, there was no evidence of deliberate backdoors in Huawei kit or anything like that, and the main threat that Huawei kit presents is that of incompetence with respect to their software development practices. Of course you could probably say the same about any number of their western competitors, but nobody has been going over their stuff with the same fine toothed comb.

The US are sorely lacking in credibility right now when it comes to "national security threats" posed by foreign competitors. The US has publicly stated that they want US companies to dominate the 5G field, and Huawei is seen as a threat to that dominance. What is at stake is not simply mobile phones, but also control over the standards and patents which would allow the US to collect royalties on every IoT device, which, if you believe the pundits, means almost everything made in future anywhere.

Huawei has been declared a "threat to US national security". However, Canadian steel and aluminium companies have also been declared "threats to US national security" and face severe restrictions on sales to the US. German car companies are about to be declared "threats to US national security". I think I detect a pattern here.

There was also a recent dark PR campaign directed against Supermicro, a server manufacturer with extensive operations in China and popular in many vertical markets. The Bloomberg press agency said they received information on this from what appeared to be unnamed US government sources. This had the same claims of somehow having hidden back doors in the hardware. No real proof was ever offered, and I don't know of anyone in the technical IT press who found the story credible once they looked into it. It got lots of play in the general press however, who repeated it unquestioningly.

The only communications kit that I can think of which we know for sure has been deliberately backdoored by official spies has been the stuff from Cisco. In this instance it didn't happen at the factory. The kit was diverted with the apparent cooperation of the shipping companies who sent the stuff to what amounted to an NSA factory who removed it from the packaging, installed the backdoors, and repackaged it with what appeared to be the official Cisco packaging material, making the tampering undetectable.

If people are genuinely concerned about the security of communications networks, then banning kit from a particular manufacturer is just a placebo. The more plausible answers involve open source software, repeatable builds (making it possible to determine whether the source code matches the binary executable), and doing the final match-up of hardware and software within your own jurisdiction by people you have vetted. Oh, and getting rid of such abominations as Intel UEFI. Anything else does nothing to address the root causes.

Just been published in the Times:

"Sir, Britain could lead the world in 5G telecoms, bringing wealth and jobs in the coming decade. Huawei’s technology is the most advanced in this field. We want to use it to bring productivity to businesses and connectivity to individuals.

We are investing £3 billion over five years to help the UK to remain internationally competitive as the US, South Korea, Germany and other nations build their 5G systems.

There are those — primarily in the United States — who want to discredit Huawei. Their accusations are a smokescreen for an attack on our recognised technological innovation. They are not based on security concerns but on a barely concealed protectionist trade agenda.

We are an independent, employee-owned business, and we are not controlled by the Chinese government. In 32 years, we have never had a serious security incident. It is important that the future partnership between Huawei and UK is based on facts and research and not on unfounded political allegations.

In a globalised world, it makes little sense to discriminate against a business because of the location of its headquarters. Imposing restrictions on Huawei simply because the company is Chinese would be unjust, unfair and would hold back Britain.
Jerry Wang

CEO, Huawei UK"

I saw earlier some spokesperson was saying that this was an inaccurate leak and that no decision had actually been reached yet. Made me wonder if this was another of the governments "leak it, see what the reaction is, then quietly drop it" policies. Then again this is the same government introducing the age verification scheme!

I saw earlier some spokesperson was saying that this was an inaccurate leak and that no decision had actually been reached yet. Made me wonder if this was another of the governments "leak it, see what the reaction is, then quietly drop it" policies. Then again this is the same government introducing the age verification scheme!
A leak: so much for cyber security then!

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I keep thinking back to when I did a Certified Ethical Hacker course, and two people had been flown in from Hong Kong to London to do the course. I am sure they were nice; I didn't give them my contact details, and the course facilitator had the burner address I created particularly for that purpose.

View attachment 389289
8265422D-34E9-4358-9A7C-8E2F9684CD59.jpeg

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Welcome to oblivion. Now we won’t be able to really share much of anything with you. Another spectacular own goal by British the government.
Sorry i was unaware that we are currently passing Secret information, unencrypted, over the current phone towers.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I spose, it is better than real life work tasks today.

But why do your folks across the pond seem to think we won't cut you off at the knees? The Pentagon has been sounding the alarm about this very event for quite a long time.

Experts see threat in China's 5G tech
Which country had a traitor who uncovered to the Soviets the UK agent, who was the London KGB chief?

Who allowed a contractor system administrator to download Gbs of raw intelligence and disclose to the worlds press. Much of the data was UK.

Which nation allowed a dysfunctional military analyst to download troves of secret information for rapey man at Wikileaks to use

In the FVEYES world its the US who is not trusted. They do not know if sensitive information passed to political appointees in the intel community or the White House will not disclose it for personal gain.

Which country had a traitor who uncovered to the Soviets the UK agent, who was the London KGB chief?

Who allowed a contractor system administrator to download Gbs of raw intelligence and disclose to the worlds press. Much of the data was UK.

Which nation allowed a dysfunctional military analyst to download troves of secret information for rapey man at Wikileaks to use

In the FVEYES world its the US who is not trusted. They do not know if sensitive information passed to political appointees in the intel community or the White House will not disclose it for personal gain.

1556131199797.png

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads