UK to allow Chinese into 5G network

We have plenty of UK born Chinese on our side. You only have to visit the smoking area on the upper balcony of Vauxhall Cross to see many of them puffing away.
And some very talented round eyes who habla the lingo!

@Wordsmith

Your points are well taken. This is the reason for my sitting on the fence. I find it difficult to believe that this is a decision taken in the face of expert advice.

Another nasty little suspicion of mine is she is so joined at the hip to David Cameron that she cannot go against any previous decisions of his; for fear of making him look stupid.

Cameron defends Huawei network contract as US senators balk

However; I do suspect that there have been and will continue to be lamps burning into the night in certain windowless rooms as people work out how to make this work.

And some very talented round eyes who habla the lingo!

@Wordsmith

Your points are well taken. This is the reason for my sitting on the fence. I find it difficult to believe that this is a decision taken in the face of expert advice.

Another nasty little suspicion of mine is she is so joined at the hip to David Cameron that she cannot go against any previous decisions of his; for fear of making him look stupid.

Cameron defends Huawei network contract as US senators balk

However; I do suspect that there have been and will continue to be lamps burning into the night in certain windowless rooms as people work out how to make this work.
Surely her behaviour at the Home Office and her decisions over the Brexit negotiations make it rather easy to believe she makes decisions in spite of expert advice

So let’s see, two NATO members will be letting China in. Thus compromising themselves, and killing the sharing of sensitive information. People wonder why Americans hate multilateralism. We might as pack up Lakenheath and move everything to Poland or back stateside.

So let’s see, two NATO members will be letting China in. Thus compromising themselves, and killing the sharing of sensitive information. People wonder why Americans hate multilateralism. We might as pack up Lakenheath and move everything to Poland or back stateside.
Grow up.

Your little princelings (jarrod and Ivanka, or whatever their names are) are up to their backwheels in China.

(PS - if you want to move everything to the Russian near abroad, I am sure Vlad would say thanks).

We have plenty of UK born Chinese on our side. You only have to visit the smoking area on the upper balcony of Vauxhall Cross to see many of them puffing away.
I don't doubt that. But it doesn't change the fact that American agencies may very well decide that the risk of sharing intelligence with their British counterparts is too high. And that has very dangerous implications. Particularly when ISIS has just shown that, if anything, it's even more dangerous now that the resources tied down in it's so-called caliphate have been freed up to operate in other areas.

Grow up.

Your little princelings (jarrod and Ivanka, or whatever their names are) are up to their backwheels in China.

(PS - if you want to move everything to the Russian near abroad, I am sure Vlad would say thanks).
Let me extend the middle finger of cooperation.

Granted you are right about the Trump kids.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The basic problem is that if you install Hauwei hardware/firmware and five years down the road some bright spark finds a backdoor or designed vulnerability in it - the UK is royally fornicated. It would take years and billions of pounds to rip out the affected systems and put in a secure alternative.

As I've said before, this is weapons grade stupidity.

Wordsmith

Surely her behaviour at the Home Office and her decisions over the Brexit negotiations make it rather easy to believe she makes decisions in spite of expert advice
I can get over her screwing the police, no one likes them.

Brexit could just be a catastrophic attempt to enforce her policy (which is to the taste of some and not others).

If GCHQ gave her a bit of paper with "Huawei equals bad" written on it, and she just told them to swivel; I'd be suprised. You'd like to think the Cabinet would have turned around (especially in today's leaky circumstances) and say she'd gone the full Downfall.

@LJONESY as I used to say on rainy streets to angry people, 'you may not agree with what I say, but you understand my logic'

I've only just found this

Uncovering Chinese Espionage in the US

And propose to put my feet up with a cuppa and read - I don't know much about the Chinese. Not enough "Allahu Akbar" there for my taste, but looks good fun on a rainy day!

A patient and risk averse advesary, I seem to recall reading.

The basic problem is that if you install Hauwei hardware/firmware and five years down the road some bright spark finds a backdoor or designed vulnerability in it - the UK is royally fornicated. It would take years and billions of pounds to rip out the affected system and put in a secure alternative.

As I've said before, this is weapons grade stupidity.

Wordsmith
Absolutely agree with that.

Same problem in encryption, it is not what is happening now; it's when your whole life is easily unencrypted in five years be some new system.

What it comes down to, I think, is what was the advice from NCSC and how impartial was that; and how faithfully incorporated into policy.

Brexit could just be a catastrophic attempt to enforce her policy (which is to the taste of some and not others).

If GCHQ gave her a bit of paper with "Huawei equals bad" written on it, and she just told them to swivel; I'd be suprised. You'd like to think the Cabinet would have turned around (especially in today's leaky circumstances) and say she'd gone the full Downfall.

@LJONESY as I used to say on rainy streets to angry people, 'you may not agree with what I say, but you understand my logic'

And propose to put my feet up with a cuppa and read - I don't know much about the Chinese. Not enough "Allahu Akbar" there for my taste, but looks good fun on a rainy day!

The Chinese hit our networks every day. Huawei is just a cyber Pearl Harbour waiting to happen, you let them in at your own peril and ours.

I struggle to understand how the People's Republic of China combines cut throat economic practices, including commercial and industrial espionage without any restraint, with the political control of Communism.
Struggle no more.

Imagine the country is being run by a criminal gang instead of a political movement, and it should all fall into place.

The old joke goes the Chinese Ambassador to France was once asked what impact the French Revolution had on world history. After thinking about it for a few moments he replied,

"It's too soon to tell"

I'd also recommend Gideon's Spies as reading material. While it's a history of the Mossad, it includes a section about a very nasty little war between Mossad and their Chinese equivalents in certain African countries. The Ministry for State Security is every bit as ruthless as the Red Sea Pedestrians.

The Chinese hit our networks every day. Huawei is just a cyber Pearl Harbour waiting to happen, you let them in at your own peril and ours.
A friend of mine was writing about "Cyber Pearl Habours" in 1999.....

Oddly the nearest we have come to that level would probably be NotPetya in Ukraine 28 June 2017.

Thankfully we're not like Russia yet
The PRC is like a bigger, smarter version of Russia. You won't see Xi Jinping riding a horse while not wearing a shirt or doing Kung Fu, but he's every bit as ruthless and intelligent as Vlad the Impaler.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Same problem in encryption, it is not what is happening now; it's when your whole life is easily unencrypted in five years be some new system.
One of our consultants broke the encryption system used by a major financial institution about a year ago (since securely fixed). The encryption system was strong when first developed but computing power has evolved fast over the years. When the cipher suite in use was first broken some fifteen odd years ago, it took a teams of academics and a network of computers days to do it. It took our consultant 30 minutes on their laptop.

The cleverness of the consultant (and it took serious smarts to find the chink in the armour) was not in exploiting the vulnerability, but in tugging at loose ends and identifying the vulnerability was there in the first place. Once that had been identified, the rest was straightforward.

And that's what'll happen to the Chinese systems. They'll all get installed, up and running - and then five years down the road someone will tug at a loose end...

Wordsmith

The UK is currently desperate for new friends thanks to a disastrous vote in 2016 to damage the UK to such an extent it has to compromise on national security in order to secure new relationships with other countries having torpedoed our current ones.

You campaigned and voted for the policy that forced the government into this predicament.

Expect more of this

Well done

You total penis
Brexit has made you very ill. There is no reason at all for your foul vitriol outside of NAAFI. You need removing from this thread.

Normally I would take offence when it comes to the blessed PMMT and her underkrackers, but on this occasion you have to be knocking on her door. There can be no other reason why anybody would give a bunch of Chinks with open/proven links with the Chinky spy agencies. It one of their laws for fook sakes. In the real world we and the rest of the work would stick 2 fingers up at the sloth eye barstewards. Don’t we have the technological skills to sort out this type of IT?
No - the only contenders are Huawei (Chinese - made in China), Cisco (Some stuff made in China although it's not clear whether that includes 5G kit), Ericcson (Swedish - 5G kit made in India) and Nokia (Finnish - 5G kit made in India).

We don’t need the slantie eyed chinks, to make 5g work, and if we do we don’t need 5g simples.
We don't need 5G if you want the UK to become a technological backwater - otherwise we need it to keep up with the rest of the world.

Last edited:
And that's what'll happen to the Chinese systems. They'll all get installed, up and running - and then five years down the road someone will tug at a loose end...

Wordsmith
The Red team will always get through, there's just too much attack surface to play on.

I suppose you just make it a question of making it take the most serious intent and most expensive capability.

Latest Threads