UK to allow Chinese into 5G network

That's solely perception and is reinforced to suit agenda. The US is doing nothing alone, it really isn't, the amount of 2E/4E/5E stuff I see taking place has not changed one iota in reality. I note the US and France playing in Africa routinely and the US playing with any friend it can in the Indopacific region. That's a reality.

Who is in the Barents with the US today, who is in the Gulf with the US today, who is in the IndoPacom region with the US......

And you don't think Commander 5th Fleet based in Bahrain wasn't involved?

Why?

That's a very simplistic and naive view of a complex issue. Firstly I'd say there is nothing up front that says a sovereign nation can't manage it's own National Infrastructure. I don't believe the UK has whined petulantly that the US has used China Telecom internally, nor whined when it was abundantly clear that a lack of US controls had allowed Snowden to destroy years and $Bn of investment into said security arrangement putting capabilities back years if not decades.

I remain of the belief that 5G and Huawei is firmly more an economic issue than a security issue for the simple reason that most of the IC and militaries don't the public networks in the way others might think.

Ultimately whilst Trump is trumpeting a very nationalistic agenda, it has to be clear that the world simply doesn't work that way anymore and what is happening is playing to his electoral base on one level whilst trying to quietly play the world leader game still.
We vote, and that has implications. The game is also changing, so remember that. COVID is only speeding up the timeline.

Nobody is faulting you for Huawei in your 4g network. But times have changed, and the Chinese are not very passive anymore.

The aspiration to herd cats is gone.

Will have to look up events in the Barents.

I remain of the belief that 5G and Huawei is firmly more an economic issue than a security issue for the simple reason that most of the IC and militaries don't the public networks in the way others might think.

correctomundo.... this has nothing to do with US ’security’, and everything with America wanting allies to install Cisco infrastructure complete with NSA back doors pre fitted.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
correctomundo.... this has nothing to do with US ’security’, and everything with America wanting allies to install Cisco infrastructure complete with NSA back doors pre fitted.
I'm inclined not to agree with that. This is about money and attempting to limit influence.

I'm inclined not to agree with that. This is about money and attempting to limit influence.
Snowden et al revealed how much penetration the Yanks have of Western communications infrastructure. This has led to a lot of new investment in nothing to do with the Americans equipment. The ‘Muricans don’t like that.
so yes, it’s to do with money, but also the closing of back doors obligingly installed for the alphabet people by American vendors.
yes, we always knew the Americans spied on their friends, but now we know they had the house keys and our Chip and PIN numbers too, it’s time to change the locks and bank cards.

funny thing is, while the Americans are so fixated on spying on their friends on an epic scale, they’ve made an utter horlicks of their own internal security and let every cat they’ve diligently collected out of the bag. Walker, Snowden, the list is endless of huge American leaks courtesy of utterly hopeless or non existent security.

the Americans would be FAR better served worrying a bit less about Huawei, And doing some utterly basic background checks on their personnel and asking themselves occasionally, ‘why is Pvt 4th Class Snuffy downloading terabytes of crypto on a daily basis’?

endure

GCM

Cisco don't make the kind of 5G kit that we're talking about. Only Huawei, Ericsson and Nokia do.

Cisco don't make the kind of 5G kit that we're talking about. Only Huawei, Ericsson and Nokia do.
Yet,.....‘Muricans want to establish a ‘US‘ 5G standard to give them a market dominance.
want to be a US ‘Friend’? Have to buy your Star Spangled 5G from an American vendor.
This is not about open standards and freedom of trade, it’s a rather overt means to hand a huge chunk of the global comms infrastructure trade FOC to US firms that have dropped off the pace.

One of the ideas currently being actively mooted by them is to pay Nokia and Ericsson to divest from elsewhere and move to ‘Murica in return for US Federal funding and exclusive market rights. Creating an Anti competitive Nationalised industry in all but name.

And CISCO? They will assuredly be very active in US delivered 5G to friends, their relationship with the NSA is very incestuous, And where would assorted repressive regimes like China be without their exceptional network monitoring and systems filtering expertise - but don't tell @Steamboat that!

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Snowden et al revealed how much penetration the Yanks have of Western communications infrastructure.
If you read the releases more carefully you'll see the ability of the 5E and others to intercept and monitor communications.

This has led to a lot of new investment in nothing to do with the Americans equipment. The ‘Muricans don’t like that.
Show me where that has led to a policy of not investing with the US and by whom?

but also the closing of back doors obligingly installed for the alphabet people by American vendors.
Again I think you're off the mark. A lot of US entities are global players and have been vocal in rejecting the idea of making things easy for the IC, even Apple refuses to play nicely. Read the releases, where equipments might have been altered that was done by the IC not the vendor.

Muricans want to establish a ‘US‘ 5G standard to give them a market dominance.
want to be a US ‘Friend’? Have to buy your Star Spangled 5G from an American vendor.
This is not about open standards
It all revolves around the 3GPP and ITU set standards. It's nothing to do with 'open standards' in the sense you're inferring. 5G is open in the sense that the standard is well known to those who want to play in that space. The US angst domestically is more about spectrum.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
"It is in this context that I want to offer some thoughts on actions by the US Government that in Cisco’s eyes have overreached, undermining the goals of free communication, and steps that can be taken to right that balance, and I do so on behalf of all of Cisco’s leadership team.

Confidence in the open, global Internet has brought enormous economic benefits to the United States and to billions around the world. This confidence has been eroded by revelations of government surveillance, by efforts of the US government to force US companies to provide access to communications of non-US citizens even when that violates the privacy laws of countries where US companies do business, and allegations that governments exploit rather than report security vulnerabilities in products."

"It is in this context that I want to offer some thoughts on actions by the US Government that in Cisco’s eyes have overreached, undermining the goals of free communication, and steps that can be taken to right that balance, and I do so on behalf of all of Cisco’s leadership team.

Confidence in the open, global Internet has brought enormous economic benefits to the United States and to billions around the world. This confidence has been eroded by revelations of government surveillance, by efforts of the US government to force US companies to provide access to communications of non-US citizens even when that violates the privacy laws of countries where US companies do business, and allegations that governments exploit rather than report security vulnerabilities in products."

DDAWD, DAWS.

endure

GCM

The US are in a bit of a dilemma. Their economy is increasingly dependent upon businesses based on the free flow of sensitive personal, financial, and commercial data around the world. Examples are Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, EBay, Paypall, Github, Cloudflare, and on and on. The Americans dominate this new economy to an unprecedented degree. It is what has propped up US prosperity as manufacturing has moved to low wage countries.

On the other hand, the US intelligence organizations are busy undermining the new foundations of the US by their constant tapping and probing, along with the odd Stuxnet thrown in. The White House have added to this with their repeated sanctioning, banning, blocking, etc.

The steady drip, drip, drip, of emerging news has got every country outside the US thinking about the importance of maintaining sovereign capabilities in commerce and payments systems outside of US control and influence.

The US tech businesses have built a shiny new edifice of which they are justly proud, but the US government have burrowed into it like termites and are busy gnawing away at it from the inside, threatening its collapse.

As a matter of policy and practice, Cisco does not work with any government, including the United States Government, to weaken our products”

‘policy and practice’ :rofl:

As a matter of ‘policy and practice’ I try not to get caught speeding.

Private vice, public virtue, CISCO - the Alphabet peoples Very bestest friend.

"
LONDON (REUTERS) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson is planning to reduce Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei Technologies' involvement in Britain's 5G network in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, the Daily Telegraph newspaper reported.

Johnson has asked officials to make plans to reduce China's involvement in British infrastructure to zero by 2023, the newspaper reported late on Friday (May 22).

The prime minister is expected to use less reliance on China as a means to boost trade talks with US President Donald Trump in the aftermath of Britain's departure from the European Union, according to the newspaper.

Downing Street declined to comment. Huawei did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Earlier on Friday, The Times reported that Johnson has instructed civil servants to make plans to end Britain's reliance on China for vital medical supplies and other strategic imports.

Beijing has been facing mounting international criticism over its handling of the coronavirus outbreak, which began in China before spreading to the rest of the world.

"He (Johnson) still wants a relationship with China but the Huawei deal is going to be significantly scaled back. Officials have been instructed to come up with a plan to reduce Huawei's involvement as quickly as possible," a source was quoted by the Telegraph as saying.

Huawei and Downing Street did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The development would be a change of direction for Britain, which in late April confirmed it would allow Huawei to have a role in building the country's 5G phone network.

Britain decided in January to allow Huawei into what the government said were non-sensitive parts of the network, capping its involvement at 35 per cent.

The United States, a key ally of Britain, has raised security concerns about Huawei equipment, and warn that allies that use it in their networks risked being cut off from valuable intelligence-sharing feeds. '

Latest Threads