UK to allow Chinese into 5G network

@PFGEN The west as a whole seems to have forgot when buying cheap you get what you pay for, In my experience and I suspect I am not alone in this. That go cheap and you tend to end up buying twice.

But then I'm not a economist, what would I know.

Its a direct rip off of a unit made by a company owned by a friend of mine. It's a Chinese copy right down to a coupe of faults.
Colour me surprised.

Sad is it not, that I doubt your friends company is the only one that finds themselves operating in a market where they have to compete against their own product...

Trump is currently in Japan twisting their arm over trade and threatening to impose massive tariffs on Japanese cars and auto parts on "national security" grounds.
www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-japan-visit-trade-1.5149911?cmp=rss
Behind the smiles and personal friendship, however, there is deep uneasiness over Trump's threat to impose tariffs on Japanese autos and auto parts on national security grounds. Such a move would be more devastating to the Japanese economy than earlier tariffs on steel and aluminum.
No doubt the devious Japanese were about to send the command signal for all "their" cars in the US to smash into everything else on the road, causing complete carnage in a second Pearl Harbour attack. Fortunately those far seeing American national security chaps have nipped that one in the bud.

Huawei have been kicked out of the SD Association, who set the standards for memory cards, on the orders of the US government.
Huawei's voice in future tech standards restricted
Huawei also has disappeared from the member list of the SD Association, which is known for developing the standards of the SD Card, the most popular memory card format used in portable devices.
"The SD Association is complying with U.S. Department of Commerce orders," the group told Nikkei in a statement on Friday.
One industry analyst notes that in future Chinese tech companies will choose to join in on standards processes being led by the EU or Japan rather than the US.
"It is foreseeable that Chinese tech companies will choose not to join the technology alliances led by the U.S. in the future," amid the ripple effect of the ban on Huawei, Jonah Cheng, chief investment officer at J & J Investment, and a former veteran tech analyst at UBS, told Nikkei.

Apart from the possibility that China would develop its own standards, it would be more attractive to Chinese companies to join the open standard-setting alliances led by the European Union or Japan rather than those led by the Americans, Cheng said.
The US doesn't seem to be even pretending any more that it's about anything other than trade leverage.

Huawei have been kicked out of the SD Association, who set the standards for memory cards, on the orders of the US government.
Huawei's voice in future tech standards restricted

One industry analyst notes that in future Chinese tech companies will choose to join in on standards processes being led by the EU or Japan rather than the US.

The US doesn't seem to be even pretending any more that it's about anything other than trade leverage.
China is the enemy.

As Trade Tensions Rise, Fewer Americans See China Favorably

National Security encompasses many aspects. Trade is one of the vital ones.

The Chinese stock has fallen rather badly here. It will only get worse. But Donald
was an idiot If he thought this would end quickly. It will be a protracted battle, but hey “No Sacrifice, No Victory”.

While ago I was asked to join a panel at an industry meeting on solar cell technology. I was the novelty act. The captains of industry were all yakking on about how they were going to make shed loads of cash selling production machinery to the Chinese. I stood up and told them they were idiots and just how long did they think that business model would last. There was a short pause before the laughter started. How could the idiot be so stupid and normal jogging commenced. They ain't laughing now, every single company at that meeting no longer exists. The Chinese took delivery of what they were shipped and cloned the lot.

In 2001, I worked for a textile machine manufacturer in Bradford. (The electronics on these machines is pretty sophisticated - Switched reluctance drives - very complex control systems and capable of being controlled by many different types of comms. Our biggest competition was an Italian firm who had exactly that happen - sold three looms and then about 6 months later out came a Chinese version. Our kit was also cloned and the Chinese market for us dried up as well. Both companies went out of business early 2000s.
Was a bit of a wake up call.