UK to allow Chinese into 5G network

They're right to have concerns about Huawei's sloppy software development but I suspect that, given the opportunity, NCSC would more than likely find some of the same problems with Nokia/Ericsson/et al too.

The difference is that Huawei has allowed the NCSC to inspect its hardware and software whereas none of its competitors have.
The difference being, US being 5-Eyes doesn't need to hack it's own ******* network.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
No it lets contracted System Admins to do it for them.
It is contractors/civilians of all flavors... not just Sysadmins, usually more like civilians in high places...

Humans are always a weak link... especially the 'special' ones... if they have access, it doesn't matter if it was on SIPRNet. If it offends them they will pass it out like candy to make sure every one knows how tolerantly intolerant they are.

If they are really highly placed and very special, they will come up with their own schemes to remove info from SIPRNet and place it on the internet at large while scrubbing headers to employ "I didn't know it was classified" and "Nothing I emailed from my personal server was 'marked classified' when I sent it" deniability answers.

Most of the civvies when I was in were life long military before they were civvy employees of the military, or Guard and Reserve while also Civvy employees... now, not so much. Accountability is what is broken, and your lot is rapidly sailing that way as well.

Just listen to the excuses fly for why...

Looks like 2 upside down router boxes requiring multiple people to apply a strip of security shipping tape. Would they be the tape equivalent of meat gazers to make sure the tape wasn't switched while being applied?

Is that a glue gun? Or is that a super secret chip sniffer anti hacking chip insertion tool?

Really... what does this photo prove other than the tape gun operator is no operator and has no tape gun?

Oh dear.

This could increase the pressure on Mrs May.

Trump declares emergency over IT threats

That visit in June is going to be a bit tricky.
I don't doubt there is a little economic protectionism wrapped up in the Presidents declaration of a national emergency. But there is a place for protectionism when your building strategic infrastructure even if it ends up costing more.

The failure of UK Governance increasingly and of all stripes over the last 50 years, to understand strategic infrastructure needs to be in-house... Is staggering to me.

That the maybots also failed to understand that Huawie, was always going to be a cause of problems... I mean as Home secretary, GCHQ and SIS did come under her remit.

Still what's new about the stupidity of most of the political class and some of the spineless senior official's within the institutions of state.

@halo_jones

The foreign secretary carries the risk for SIS and GCHQ (I believe).

May as Home Secretary would have been well aware of the security service and therefore the espionage threat against the UK. Look who we assess does not like us....

A simple visit to a website confirms that...
Screenshot_20190515-222824.jpg

I am still curious as to what an earth is going on with that 5G decision. Maybe May hope everyone has just forgotten as we move on to the next flaming clown car crash.

On an aside Tigrinya is a fascinating language, had to do an interview with an interpreter once. Fascinating and intricate script.

(...) The foreign secretary carries the risk for SIS and GCHQ (I believe).

May as Home Secretary would have been well aware of the security service and therefore the espionage threat against the UK. Look who we assess does not like us....

A simple visit to a website confirms that...
View attachment 393216

(...)
Looking at the list of languages and the countries in which they are spoken which you posted, I happened to notice what appears to be a few anomalies. Now while I will admit that I am not a particularly accomplished (nor cunning) linguist, I was a bit surprised to discover that MI5 were under the impression that Lithuanian was commonly spoken in Libya and Mali, and that Malta was where Uzbek was commonly spoken.

It is possible that I may have uncovered a weakness in MI5's analysis capabilities which led to certain unfortunate recent strategic errors on the part of Britain in North Africa and Central Asia. It would perhaps be advisable for someone with suitable connections to let the right people know to correct this before embarrassing questions are raised about it in parliament.

There is no need to thank me for pointing this out. A knighthood would be thanks enough.

I was fascinhated to note the need for Tamasheq, which a language spoke by the Touraeg who inhabit northern Mali (amongst other places).....

A Tagelmust is quite clearly going to become the new shemagh...

Roger that @Boumer, I thought the Home office was considered senior...
I am sure they think they are.

It's more to do with nornal operating responsibilities, with foreign domestic boundaries I believe.

Who knows, It's what happens in Le Carré novels anyway.

More info from today's Times:

Ericsson is in a joint venture with Panda Electronics to make network equipment in China. Panda Electronics is part-owned by the Chinese state and supplies military equipment to it.

Nokia is in a joint venture with China Huaxin Post and Telecom Technologies which is wholly owned by the state.

Both Nokia and Ericsson say they have robust checks to ensure the integrity of their equipment wherever it is manufactured.

I wonder if their robust checks are as robust as having GCHQ rooting around inside their kit as happens with Huawei?

This cannot be helping Mrs May.

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app.
Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source - Reuters

So, if one wished to argue they should be exlcluded; the point would be that if it is not good enough for Android, it shouldn't be good enough for the UK 5G network (I simplify, but so is the public debate).

If one wished to come back to the original government position, you could maintain it is taken apart by NCSC and checked.

What it is not, is a closed argument!

This cannot be helping Mrs May.

Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source - Reuters

So, if one wished to argue they should be exlcluded; the point would be that if it is not good enough for Android, it shouldn't be good enough for the UK 5G network (I simplify, but so is the public debate).

If one wished to come back to the original government position, you could maintain it is taken apart by NCSC and checked.

I think you've got the story from the wrong end. What is happening here is not that Google is keeping anything that Huawei is doing out of Android, but that Google may not be able to sell their Android based proprietary services such as GMail and Google Play Store to Huawei due to the US apparently forbidding US companies doing business with them.

It's not clear if the recent US policy actually requires that, or it if just forbids Google from buying kit from Huawei. I suspect that Google's lawyers are going over the details of the new regulations and trying to get clarification from the US government on this.

It has absolutely nothing to do with 5G, except in terms that some of those smart phones would be able to receive 5G signals. Handsets have not been the subject of any security concerns raised so far.

If this does indeed turn out to be the direction the US government is taking, then I would say it amounts to indisputable proof that the US "security concerns" are entirely bogus and this is purely a mercantilist industrial strategy dressed up as a "security issue".

Huawei have been working on a plan 'B' for Android since 2012, and earlier this year said they have something ready. There is industry speculation that it is simply Android with the proprietary Googly services (GMail, Google Play store, Google search, etc.) stripped out and third party alternatives substituted. This is very common in China and has the bulk of the market there.

Samsung by the way also have their own Android alternative being held as a plan 'B', as probably a number of other larger companies do as well. There has long been a lot of distrust of Google's intentions, so companies have been keeping backup plans ready for commercial reasons.

Going back to the original Government position, why on God green Earth did some idiot. Think it makes a good economic case to buy something from a adversarial foreign country to save money, but ignoring that then the UK Government, will have to spend extra money to validate it is not a threat... As I have said many times, and have had to curse the Tories for over many years, despite being a Tory.

The Conservative Party. "Know the cost of everything and the value of nothing". Which is sadly not really being conservative.

Going back to the original Government position, why on God green Earth did some idiot. Think it makes a good economic case to buy something from a adversarial foreign country to save money, but ignoring that then the UK Government, will have to spend extra money to validate it is not a threat... As I have said many times, and have had to curse the Tories for over many years, despite being a Tory.

The Conservative Party. "Know the cost of everything and the value of nothing". Which is sadly not really being conservative.

As opposed to buying kit from those nice friendly Scandinavians which is actually made in China and has no oversight by GCHQ?

Latest Threads