UK to allow Chinese into 5G network

So if the UK can't share intelligence with the USA any more, perhaps we can share with China?

It may sound like a flight of fancy, but if China is going to surpass the US, then we should be considering an alliance with them in the future. And if (as seems more than possible) we remain in the EU, we can take the lead there on this.
We are already co-operating in the Belt and Road initiative, so if the Americans don't want us, it could be a good opportunity to jump ship.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Unlike Cisco, Huey is ultimately under the control of the Chinese Communist Party and an agent of the Chinese state, as are all Chinese companies.

Leaving out of account the deliberate concealment of this vital matter, just as was done regarding the legal advice on the backstop, to my mind handing over our 5G to the ultimate control of the Chinese state is an act of treason.

The intent is to undercut & destroy manufacturers outside China, as when they're gone, they wont be coming back, thus leaving China as the sole source of pretty much everything.
Hardly a position one wants to see.
That's why we want free trade, free market and fair & open competition. If western companies can't innovate and manage to produce quality items at reasonable or the same prices as others - that's down to them and their respective government tax regimes. Why should the consumer pay more for something they can get cheaper elsewhere? That's why the High Street is dying - because people buy for cheaper online, and it's cheaper for retailers to get a unit in an industrial park unit than pay high street rent.

The greed of the rich & shareholders has much to blame for this as well, & look at the bonuses some of these directors pay themselves - that's one of the reasons prices are so high in UK compared to other places. One only has to watch 1 episode of the Apprentice to see the mindset of most UK business minds - profit, profit, profit - and as much as they can get for the least amount of money spent.

If China/India & other developing countries can produce quality items - there's no reason others can't.

Also the EU is a protectionist state - look at the tariffs they put on items, for example:

A few years ago I was looking at buying solar panels, China was at the forefront of technology and producing these very cheaply. At the same point Germany was starting to lose business and in Europe they had the market cornered, so people started buying from China instead - as soon as that happened, the EU slapped massive tariffs on solar panels made outside the EU, basically forcing consumers to buy from Germany again - which is hardly fair to the consumer or to China and fair trade & competition in general.

Also the EU is a protectionist state - look at the tariffs they put on items, for example:

A few years ago I was looking at buying solar panels, China was at the forefront of technology and producing these very cheaply. At the same point Germany was starting to lose business and in Europe they had the market cornered, so people started buying from China instead - as soon as that happened, the EU slapped massive tariffs on solar panels made outside the EU, basically forcing consumers to buy from Germany again - which is hardly fair to the consumer or to China and fair trade & competition in general.
A reason why I get so angry when Remainers go on about what a benevolent organisation the EU is.

So if the UK can't share intelligence with the USA any more, perhaps we can share with China?

It may sound like a flight of fancy, but if China is going to surpass the US, then we should be considering an alliance with them in the future. And if (as seems more than possible) we remain in the EU, we can take the lead there on this.
We are already co-operating in the Belt and Road initiative, so if the Americans don't want us, it could be a good opportunity to jump ship.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times
Well Mr. Pompeo will get his turn in the Fuhrerbunker next week. Tea, biscuits, and sock puppets!!

May is warned that Gavin Williamson will take revenge over Huawei leak sacking | Daily Mail Online

I wouldn't trust the Chinese either - based on the past. But the U.S. firms haven't exactly being forthright either with a ton of back doors everywhere - there's a reason why this thing is even happening in the first place. The UK would naturally like to take U.S. equipment if all things being equal.

I really don't like the choice as in the longer term something crap may come out but I sort of understand why they chose to do what they did. It's still shit.

I wouldn't trust the Chinese either - based on the past. But the U.S. firms haven't exactly being forthright either with a ton of back doors everywhere - there's a reason why this thing is even happening in the first place. The UK would naturally like to take U.S. equipment if all things being equal.

I really don't like the choice as in the longer term something crap may come out but I sort of understand why they chose to do what they did. It's still shit.
They are also very overt in their espionage. 5G will just make it easier, and out of sight and out of mind.

I cannot begin to describe the sense of disgust I feel watching the Tories playing power games while the country is going to hell in a handbasket.

If it was up to me I'd horsewhip the whole lot of them.
It is great drama though. Granted It is morphing into something else.

The intent is to undercut & destroy manufacturers outside China, as when they're gone, they wont be coming back, thus leaving China as the sole source of pretty much everything.
Hardly a position one wants to see.
Yes. Rising transport costs are less making them less competitive, but the industrial policy is copy Western things, make them cheaper by disregarding quality and environmental standards, concentrate on mass markets where quality is not thought about too much by the consumer, and undermine Western companies.

Meanwhile - 'aid' to Africa exists to make them slaves to Chinese loans.

Combining the ruthless exploitation of markets with the political control of Marxism, and the nihilism of state atheism means the free world needs to be wary.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Unlike Cisco, Huey is ultimately under the control of the Chinese Communist Party and an agent of the Chinese state, as are all Chinese companies.

Leaving out of account the deliberate concealment of this vital matter, just as was done regarding the legal advice on the backstop, to my mind handing over our 5G to the ultimate control of the Chinese state is an act of treason.
As I've posted elsewhere, NSA and GCHQ consider risk in different ways. Since 2010 GCHQ has had a facility that opens up Huawei equipment and undertakes very extensive testing. They know what they are looking for and they will have contributed to this decision. On that basis, noting their expertise and experience in this field one could surmise that they have an idea of the risk exposure and how that can be mitigated.

As I understand it the decision as made by the NCSC would only allow Huawei to bid for capabilities at the edge of the network not the core, and that is quite key. Now whilst some like ASD believe that distinction will dissipate over time, that's not the case, IF, it's designed as such from the outset and the appropriate controls put in place. What the NCSC have effectively said is that we should be safe to use Huawei equipment in the radio access element of the network, with the right gateways and control. It's worth noting that their equipment in this area is probably world leading.

Is there is a specific risk, who really knows - I'm certainly not qualified to comment, but I would assess that whoever you chose to supply what is still really edge computing and RF forms part of your cyber risk landscape and you'd need stringent controls given how people are anticipating 5G and the amount of reliance that's being considered upon it.

The US view will be hugely different based upon their risk controls and a very different political view given their increasingly hostile relationship with China and a wish to exert their position in the Pacific.

My view for what its worth is that if we move to develop 5G infrastructure in the UK we will need to ensure we have no reliance upon any one nation or commercial entity for any element of it. Resilience comes in many forms and we need to ensure from the outset we understand all the risks.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
The funny thing is they are involved so intricately in 4G and so far not a bleep and now it has become a big thing.
I suspect largely because in 4G the core is smart and the edge is usually quite dumb; 5G changes that premise and a lot of speculators believe the core/edge concept will merge over time to just a homogenous fabric and if that's compromised all is lost.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads