• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

UK supplied arms to Saudi Arabia

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Amnesty lost the plot when they went down the pro-life path and are now run (atleast at a student level) by militant jihadis.

Thanks for the free publicity for British military exports though!

Does it really matter if the Saudis are slaughtering their neighbouring goat herders with Tornados or F-15's?

Coming next on master on the obvious news! Warplanes are bought for doing warry stuff like killing people and breaking things!
**** , I answered B. B) Used to politely, and in a culturally sensitive manner, ask the bad men to stop doing naughty things.

Does it really matter if the Saudis are slaughtering their neighbouring goat herders with Tornados or F-15's?

Coming next on master on the obvious news! Warplanes are bought for doing warry stuff like killing people and breaking things!
No, the more they kill of each other now, the less someone will have to later on.......Too harsh?

So the Saudis have the audacity to use weapons to defend themselves against attack from an armed, and unpleasant insurrection?

I am shocked and appalled. I thought the whole world except Britain, the US and the nasty Saudis existed on peace and love.

What planet are these people on?

ugly

LE
FFS we dont flog them just to get warranty sales do we, we flog weapons to ensure that old stuff is used up and any new innovations can be tested by others before we need them!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
It's never been a secret that they have Tornado they used them on Granby to bomb Iraq
They used to refuel at Akrotiri when they were transiting from the UK to Saudi in the 90's
British crews as well

Don't we provide a list of who we'd like them not to attack when we sell kit to people?

F

fozzy

They were certainly bombing the Yemen in the late 60's with BAe Strikemasters and Lightnings (modified for ground attack). Not a big fuss then

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I wasn't aware that "UK supplied aircraft" were sentient beings. "UK supplied aircraft" can't do anything by themselves.

The aircraft were flown by Saudis, in defence of Saudis, at the behest of Saudis.

Complete non-story.

There was an article in the UK press a few months back that said that Tornados were being employed to attack targets in the Yemen, most likely too as the Tornado is the RSAF's main Strike Aircraft.

I'll go see if I can find a linkie
As far as iv heard, the Tornados we sent last to Saudi have been sent back to us, still in transit now due to Americas rules on shipping and technology, as the Saudis had Mods on we dont use. The jets were life ex'd i think, not sure why they bought them if thats the case.

There being replaced with the Typhoon, i did my phase 2 with saudis and UAE, so after they've finished trade training with the RAF here, there sent back to Saudi and are out of our hands. What they do with the aircraft is up to them, besides, Yemen isnt the worst choice to strike.

Amnesty dude: Yo! Your evil planes are killing little islamic goatherds!

US response: Go do one.

UK response: Sorry about that, we'll start a parliamentary enquiry.
Bingo! We have a winner.

My point is indeed that it is a non story but will mean a whole lot of trouble for the UK defence industry, who I believe do no more or less than any other national defence industry, yet get shafted more because our government won't do the right thing and tell the detractors to go bone up on reality and then f*ck right off.

We appear to be our own worst enemy these days but has it ever been different?

Latest Threads