UK soldier missing in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by andrejwout, Jul 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sky reporting this, after a firefight...very little detail as yet. I hope to **** this isnt true and its some kind of error, sadly, it probably isnt. Very very grim.

2. Being reported on BBC Radio 5 Live
    Afghanistan hunt for missing 'UK soldier'

A soldier - believed to be British - has gone missing in Afghanistan, Nato has said.

A search involving aircraft and ground troops has been launched in the south of the country after he went missing from his base in central Helmand.

Military sources told the BBC he had left the base on Monday morning alone and not part of a planned patrol.

The soldier's next of kin have been informed. The Taliban has told the BBC it has killed a soldier in the area.
    BBC News - Afghanistan hunt for missing 'UK soldier'

3. Lets hope it turns out as well as it can do. If he has fallen into the hands of Terry, to then be paraded on TV must be terrible for the relatives and friends of an individual.

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

There are two other threads on this.

5. Simple answer: because we are not fighting total war against Afghanistan, we are fighting an insurgency within the country. Should we have carpet bombed Belfast because of the PIRA?

Seeing as this situation is ongoing and we don't have the full facts let's hold off on the beheading comments eh?

Particularly seeing as its one of our own we are talking about here.

• Like Like x 4
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I've stayed out of this one because I know **** all and my time in Afghan was yonks go. So it dont count for shit in 2011. But I know this. Some kid is missing. He has parents, friends, family. Maybe in their desparation for info, they check ARRSE. I kinda wonder if some of the posters above would have said that shite to his Mum?

If we could button it on horrors and internet retaliation (fucks sakes) I should be obliged.

Since you asked? Be safe. Be lucky. Be on a plane.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I see dave has said - you can use my helicopter to look for him seeing as I shafted you big time and am stalling for the rest of the kit I promised until I can pull enough of you out to say 'look its not needed'.

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Posts off thread on a sensitive topic - remember where the journalists come to fish chaps.

9. i hope to the greater being, this isnt true, if it is, fuel air explosives, and thermobaric weapons should be dusted down and a smidge of biological agent added, then let terry have the lot. BASTARDS.........

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Posts pruned. Apologies to those of you who were being sensible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fair one was getting a little bit on the silly side...

12. Nice one, but why was my first post deleted?

I thought It was a sensible comment?

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nice one. I have my blood pressure to think about when all is said and done.

14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Wonder if any of his ANA colleagues have gone missing too? In a decidely non -friendly way? Seems a bit odd to 'wander off' for a swim without notifying anyone. I'm sure there will be all sorts of versions flying around though for the next few hours until some kind of official word is released.

15. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer