UK soldier dies in Afghanistan 05/07/2010

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by johnboyzzz, Jul 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another one RIP

A UK soldier has been killed in an explosion while on vehicle patrol in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The serviceman, from The Royal Dragoon Guards, died on Monday in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province. His next of kin have been told.

Lt Col James Carr-Smith praised the soldier's "courage and sacrifice".

His death brings the total number of UK personnel killed in Afghanistan since 2001 to 311.

The soldier was attached to the 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles Battle Group.

"He was part of a screening force that was providing protection to enable the building of a road in the Babaji area such that local Afghans could move more freely when he was struck by an explosion," Lt Col Carr-Smith said.

"He died in the course of his duty and among his fellow soldiers. His courage and sacrifice will not be forgotten. We will remember him."

BBC News - UK soldier dies in Afghanistan explosion
  2. They shall grow not old,
    As we that are left grow old,
    Age shall not weary them,
    Nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun,
    And in the morning
    We will remember them.
  3. RIP fella.
  4. RIP Soldier
  5. RIP fallen comrade.

Whilst on the subject of KIA last Wed or Thurs it was annouced that a RM had been killed but apart from "family informed" no further details and have heard nothing since, just curious.

Sorry to possibly hijack this thread but i haven't got my head round the new format.
  6. RIP Condolences to family and friends
  7. RIP my thoughts are with the family at this sad time.