UK Small Modular Reactor

endure

GCM
UK poised to confirm funding for mini nuclear reactors for carbon-free energy - Guardian

The government is poised to approve funding for a fleet of Rolls-Royce mini nuclear reactors that the prime minister hopes will help the UK reach his target of zero-carbon electricity by 2035.

A consortium led by the British engineering firm had already secured £210m in backing from private investors for the small modular reactor (SMR) project, a sum that the government is expected to match or better. Confirmation is expected before the spending review on 27 October, according to well-placed sources.

The consortium, known as UK SMR, will rebrand as Rolls-Royce SMR to coincide with Westminster’s blessing.

Tom Greatrex, the chief executive of the Nuclear Industry Association (NIA), said: “Match-funding for Rolls-Royce would be a huge signal to private investors that the government wants SMRs alongside new large-scale stations to hit net zero. It would also show investors that the government believes in nuclear as a green technology.”

Hat tip to @endure for the link.
More jobs round the ring road :wink:

Certain Countries do not allow Nuclear Powered ships to dock in their shipping Ports.
Hence why it has never been tried on cruise ship, But then the US Navy normally park where they like!
Not so much that they don't allow it, but they don't have emergency crews qualified to deal with incidents. Hence Nuke Subs only dock at certain ports that are qualified to handle them. If decently designed SMR powered ships (particularly bulk carriers) were produced the incentive to provide port facilities would follow.

The waste issue mentioned is more to do with Thorium Molten Salt reactors. Up and coming, but a few years off. I really believe these could be serious game changers, but looking 10 years down the line.

Yokel

LE
Not so much that they don't allow it, but they don't have emergency crews qualified to deal with incidents. Hence Nuke Subs only dock at certain ports that are qualified to handle them. If decently designed SMR powered ships (particularly bulk carriers) were produced the incentive to provide port facilities would follow.

Nuclear powered bulk carriers - @merchantman and @Not a Boffin will be able to comment on feasibility and economics, including the number of people required. I am sure that nuclear powered merchant ships have been tried before, but never became commonplace.

On another note, I imagine that one or more small reactors will be needed in Australia to build a skill set needed for future SSN operations.

endure

GCM
Nuclear powered bulk carriers - @merchantman and @Not a Boffin will be able to comment on feasibility and economics, including the number of people required. I am sure that nuclear powered merchant ships have been tried before, but never became commonplace.

On another note, I imagine that one or more small reactors will be needed in Australia to build a skill set needed for future SSN operations.
I shouldn't imagine they're economically viable compared to the cost of an ordinary diesel.

Russia has a couple of nuclear icebreakers.

The idea of nuclear powered merchant ships is not new the yanks had the NS Savannah in the late '50's the construction and running costs proved to be prohibitive, there was also the problem that a lot of ports did not want nuclear ships anywhere near them.

More recently the subject has once again been discussed but I think it is still a few years away.

I’ve seen the Savannah tied up in Baltimore. Beautiful ship, I hope she gets preserved, but fear it won’t happen - just not interesting enough to merit 10s of millions of dollars spent on her, when within a mile, there’s social deprivation.

I think they’d have to move her to a more affluent area, or maybe into a Navy yard before considering decommissioning the nuclear aspect and restoring her as a museum.

Yokel

LE
A German nuclear powered bulk carrier called the Otto Kahn is mentioned on page 119 of this document.

It appears that the reactor need refuelling after 900 power days, which raises another reason for nuclear propulsion not being desirable, the need for frequent, costly, and extensive refits. After ten years service her nuclear powerplant was replaced with a diesel one, and she remained in service until 2009 - on diesels.

An experimental Japanese vessel called the Mutsu is also mentioned. She was less than successful.

Yokel

LE
Some news: Rolls-Royce secures funding for Small Modular Reactors - MTD MFG

Rolls-Royce has announced that following a successful equity raise, the Rolls-Royce Small Modular Reactor (SMR) business has today been established, to bring forward and deliver at scale the next generation of low cost, low carbon nuclear power technology.

Rolls-Royce Group, BNF Resources UK Limited and Exelon Generation Limited will invest £195m across a period of around three years. The funding will enable the business to secure grant funding of £210 million from UK Research and Innovation funding, first announced by the UK Prime Minister in ‘The Ten Point Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution’. Today’s announcement is another step towards the delivery of the Government’s net zero strategy and its 10-point plan.

endure

GCM
Some news: Rolls-Royce secures funding for Small Modular Reactors - MTD MFG

Rolls-Royce has announced that following a successful equity raise, the Rolls-Royce Small Modular Reactor (SMR) business has today been established, to bring forward and deliver at scale the next generation of low cost, low carbon nuclear power technology.

Rolls-Royce Group, BNF Resources UK Limited and Exelon Generation Limited will invest £195m across a period of around three years. The funding will enable the business to secure grant funding of £210 million from UK Research and Innovation funding, first announced by the UK Prime Minister in ‘The Ten Point Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution’. Today’s announcement is another step towards the delivery of the Government’s net zero strategy and its 10-point plan.
Excellent.

I remember reading something about the old Greenwich Naval College from back in the day, something about having a small'ish nuclear reactor in there for navy types to do courses on. When the place was 'sold off' it was a bit of a pre-sales headache to get the thing out. Anyone know if that is right, or not?
Jason was it's name-oh.

More pertinently - and not necessarily to do with SMR - MCA recently completed consulting on Solas Chapter VIII, which for those interested, is the bit of SOLAS that deals with nuclear-powered merchant ships.

Which is welcome. These lads will be interesting to watch as well.....

endure

GCM
Its a bit 'woosh' topic sideways, but.........

I remember reading something about the old Greenwich Naval College from back in the day, something about having a small'ish nuclear reactor in there for navy types to do courses on. When the place was 'sold off' it was a bit of a pre-sales headache to get the thing out. Anyone know if that is right, or not?
There is alleged to be a kettle sized (1kW) reactor at the other end of the ring road from me...

There is alleged to be a kettle sized (1kW) reactor at the other end of the ring road from me...

The only thing I could relate that to is the film The Martian, you know the one with Jason Bourne in it. So I had a quick google. Apparently NASA, and the like, have, and are continuing to develop small reactors to take up with them to provide elastic-trickery, and heat on Mars.

Interestingly a 1kW reactor can bang out 5kW of heat, who knew.

endure

GCM
The only thing I could relate that to is the film The Martian, you know the one with Jason Bourne in it. So I had a quick google. Apparently NASA, and the like, have, and are continuing to develop small reactors to take up with them to provide elastic-trickery, and heat on Mars.

I should perhaps have said low power rather than small. The kind of reactor that's used to test bigger reactor designs...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The waste issue mentioned is more to do with Thorium Molten Salt reactors. Up and coming, but a few years off. I really believe these could be serious game changers, but looking 10 years down the line.
With nuclear technology the step from laboratory to general usage generally seems to be measured in decades. I remember reading in the 80s about the benefits of fusion over fission and it being stated that in two decades' time it would be used across the world. About ten years ago I read pretty much the same article, only the goal line was now 3 decades in the future...

Interestingly a 1kW reactor can bang out 5kW of heat, who knew.
The reactor in "The Martian" is a Radioisotope thermoelectric generator I think. It generates electricity from the heat of the natural decay of its fuel. No moving parts or fluids and no attempt to acccelerate the release of energy from the fissile material.

Latest Threads