UK should recognise the independence of Catalunya

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skylog, Oct 10, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The European Union is proving to be a dictatorial and oppressive system where democracy and freedom are not guaranteed. The UK should recognise the independence of Catalunya which is one of the richest regions of the EU and its independence would come useful for Brexit too.

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yes.

No. Nobody should recognise a bunch of whining Catolans. To do so would open the door for the Basques, Welsh, Scots, Waloons (do a Google) and people from Yorkshire. Nobody wants that.

The only country to secede and gain UN approval since WW2 is Bangladesh. Until the 16th century you were ruled by ze Chermans. Now, calm down, welcome tourists to the ghastly Las Ramblas and try to stay off of our news feeds. Thanks.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Probably have more luck if you 'do a Google' on Walloons though!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheIronDuke

Sorry. During my short and brutal education I was mostly taking drugs and trying to worm my way into young girls snappies. Somehow I missed "Spelling names of obscure Cloggies who speak a made-up language".

I blame my parents.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I think most Walloons speak French, it's the Flemish who speak a derivative of Dutch.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A small isolated country in the sun on the med and free from the EU, what’s not to like. On question who exactley are Barcelona going to play to qualify for the CL?

7. And they ain’t Cloggies anyway.

ETA: the Walloons I meant.

8. Apart from all the bits that were Yugoslavia, the split of Czechoslovakia and the collapse of the USSR [all the Stan's].

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. A small isolated country in the sun on the med and free from the EU, what’s not to like. On question who exactley are Barcelona going to play to qualify for the CL?

• Like Like x 1
  10. You don't want the CLA getting uppity or the next thing you know Kernow will want independence

11. To which you could also add the Baltic States.

12. Why should we recognise an independent Catalonia.

We don’t have a dog in the race.

We could recognise them if they had a huge majority in a plebiscite to unequivocally recognise Gibraltar as a BOT.

And if they do go UDI they will be wanting EU membership ASAP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Exactly. Made up :p

14. TheIronDuke

Yeah, all right. Flemish, Walloon (sp?) fFrench, Cloggies.... Can we agree they are all foreign? Like the Welsh?

Problem is, once one of the foreign says "We are a proud and independent nation", they all start. Next thing you know Sunderland wants to go it alone. This would be a problem for me. I have a substantial holding in Greggs and Sunderland is a major profit centre.

• Funny Funny x 5