UK should recognise the independence of Catalunya

The European Union is proving to be a dictatorial and oppressive system where democracy and freedom are not guaranteed. The UK should recognise the independence of Catalunya which is one of the richest regions of the EU and its independence would come useful for Brexit too.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
The European Union is proving to be a dictatorial and oppressive system where democracy and freedom are not guaranteed.
Yes.

The UK should recognise the independence of Catalunya which is one of the richest regions of the EU and its independence would come useful for Brexit too.
No. Nobody should recognise a bunch of whining Catolans. To do so would open the door for the Basques, Welsh, Scots, Waloons (do a Google) and people from Yorkshire. Nobody wants that.

The only country to secede and gain UN approval since WW2 is Bangladesh. Until the 16th century you were ruled by ze Chermans. Now, calm down, welcome tourists to the ghastly Las Ramblas and try to stay off of our news feeds. Thanks.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Probably have more luck if you 'do a Google' on Walloons though!
Sorry. During my short and brutal education I was mostly taking drugs and trying to worm my way into young girls snappies. Somehow I missed "Spelling names of obscure Cloggies who speak a made-up language".

I blame my parents.

Sorry. During my short and brutal education I was mostly taking drugs and trying to worm my way into young girls snappies. Somehow I missed "Spelling names of obscure Cloggies who speak a made-up language".

I blame my parents.
I think most Walloons speak French, it's the Flemish who speak a derivative of Dutch.

A small isolated country in the sun on the med and free from the EU, what’s not to like. On question who exactley are Barcelona going to play to qualify for the CL?

A small isolated country in the sun on the med and free from the EU, what’s not to like. On question who exactley are Barcelona going to play to qualify for the CL?

Why should we recognise an independent Catalonia.

We don’t have a dog in the race.

We could recognise them if they had a huge majority in a plebiscite to unequivocally recognise Gibraltar as a BOT.

And if they do go UDI they will be wanting EU membership ASAP.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
And they ain’t Cloggies anyway.
Yeah, all right. Flemish, Walloon (sp?) fFrench, Cloggies.... Can we agree they are all foreign? Like the Welsh?

Problem is, once one of the foreign says "We are a proud and independent nation", they all start. Next thing you know Sunderland wants to go it alone. This would be a problem for me. I have a substantial holding in Greggs and Sunderland is a major profit centre.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
We could recognise them if they had a huge majority in a plebiscite to unequivocally recognise Gibraltar as a BOT.
Aye, theres a thing. Had never considered the Gib question in all this. Cheers.

Yes.

No. Nobody should recognise a bunch of whining Catolans. To do so would open the door for the Basques, Welsh, Scots, Waloons (do a Google) and people from Yorkshire. Nobody wants that.

The only country to secede and gain UN approval since WW2 is Bangladesh. Until the 16th century you were ruled by ze Chermans. Now, calm down, welcome tourists to the ghastly Las Ramblas and try to stay off of our news feeds. Thanks.
Errmm... Slovakia and the Czech republic, the entire USSR, Yugoslavia, Singapore, and dare we Canucks hope... Someday Quebec.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Errmm... and dare we Canucks hope... Someday Quebec.
No. Another bunch of whining gits with ideas above your station. The whole of continental America speaks English. Your fFrench ancestors lost the war because they were too busy with a boef bouillon. Adjust. Slovakia and the Czech republic used to be Czechoslovakia. They agreed to go their separate ways. The entire USSR was still the entire USSR last time I looked. Yugoslavia - yeah. Kosovo dropped out and despite support from UK, EU. USA (ect) is not recognised by the UN since 2008.

Quebec is a swamp one flies over on the route to LA.

Being hard headed.
Where do the UK's national interests lie in this?
I think nowhere either way- for Spain, or for the separatists.
Independent Catalonia will be no friend probably even hostile to the UK whether we recognise or not - we wouldn't be repaid with gratitude.
There is no value in our alienating Spain.
We have nothing to gain.
So stay out of it.

Last edited: