UK Shale gas sites to be sealed - WTF?

Carl1960

Clanker
It's reported on Guido that Oil & Gas Authority has ordered Cuadrilla to permanently seal the shale gas wells drilled at the Lancashire shale exploration site, where there's an estimated 37.6 trillion cubic metres of gas located in the northern Bowland Shale gas formation will remain unexploited when UK imports of Natural Gas are expected to rise 80% by 2050.

All this at a time when the current PM needs an easy win or twelve to settle the troops; any bets on how long before this "courageous" direction is overturned?
Fracking is universally unpopular with the Climate change minority. Every time I mention it on social media I get a hail of flak. The latest were someone from Holland telling me about that the damage it has done there, except for actually describing the aforesaid damage. And Someone who has a friend that deals in commodities who told him shale gas would be sold at the same price as gas on the international market, when I pointed out it wasn't just about price but also security of supply it went quiet. As I said people who don't want fracking don't want "cheap" energy and shouldn't be complaining about price increases

If you do a bit of investigating...IIRC there is a shale gas pumping station in the NE that has been on the go since the 70's. The shale deposits sit under a bird sanctuary and, there has never been any problems.

I also seem to remember lots of drilling under Lincolnshire.
Is that fracking to get the gas out or using "conventional" gas mining techniques?

Fracking is universally unpopular with the Climate change minority. Every time I mention it on social media I get a hail of flak. The latest were someone from Holland telling me about that the damage it has done there, except for actually describing the aforesaid damage. And Someone who has a friend that deals in commodities who told him shale gas would be sold at the same price as gas on the international market, when I pointed out it wasn't just about price but also security of supply it went quiet. As I said people who don't want fracking don't want "cheap" energy and shouldn't be complaining about price increases
Your Dutch friend is probably talking about the Groningen field, which did cause a few seismic events leading to a decision to phase out production. However, those seismic events were not caused by fracking. The Groningen field is a conventional gas field with similar structures to the North Sea gas fields.

Your Dutch friend is probably talking about the Groningen field, which did cause a few seismic events leading to a decision to phase out production. However, those seismic events were not caused by fracking. The Groningen field is a conventional gas field with similar structures to the North Sea gas fields.
@Club Swinger for clarity, conventional oil and gas fields are not normally subjected to fracking, and as the Groningen reserves are in high porosity and permeability sandstone, there wouldn’t be any need for it.

Does anyone know if the fracking sires were concreted over? I think it was scheduled for last week but the story seems to have evaporated.
The deadline is 30th June, but you’re right that they were scheduled to have started. No idea on progress.

Carl1960

Clanker
The deadline is 30th June, but you’re right that they were scheduled to have started. No idea on progress.
I heard of a conversation third hand so I can not validated it's authenticity but it comes via someone I've known since 1972. Allegedly one of the higher ups involved in fracking had a meeting with Johnson, recently, telling him how quickly they could get shale gas on line if given a go ahead. The response was allegedly not interested. Again I can not vouch that this happened but sounds right. On the other hand apparently our glorious leaders want to ramp up North Sea production.

triggerigger

On ROPS
On ROPs
Carrie's going to be upset then (IMHO). When there's a crowd-pleasing open goal in front of him and he's behind in the polls, listening to his wife is unlikely to be high on Boris's agenda. He can always get another one...

More seriously, there's a lot of rubbish being touted about the influence of the current Mrs Johnson, mostly coming from single anonymous sources rather than being corroborated (but it's Carrie so the papers will print it anyway, a corollary of Boris Grrr), so I take her alleged influence with a pinch of salt.
Grr borris doesn't need to be or do anything to succeed other than, not be sir kneels alot and the pottomus

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Fracking is not a short term solution. Even if Cuadrilla were allowed to start tomorrow morning it would be 8-10 years before we had the first commercial quantities of gas.

We (my company) have been involved with numerous natural gas projects. even a basic salt cavern underground storage or depleted oil / gas field takes 4-5 years to get into production.

Francis Egan the CEO of Cuadrilla is more than somewhat disingenuous about fracking.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
And a rather optimistic claim (IMHO) in the Daily Fascist:

IGas has said it could prepare a planning application within weeks to extract shale gas in Nottinghamshire, which could be used to heat up to 125,000 homes.

Not going to wade through nine pages to see if this has been mentioned......

There's quite a bit of work going on towards introducing hydrogen into the UK gas network. OK, they are starting small scale in the next 12 months or so, but I would think that, if it's successful, then it would be able to be scaled up about as quickly as scaling up fracking wouldn't it?

On the plus side, if the Hydrogen works well, then any surplus will start to be available to power the next generations of cars.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced that battery powered cars are but a blip in the grand scheme of things. A stopgap until hydrogen comes on line. Quick to refuel at stations around the country.....very much like we do now with petrol.

Could this be part of the thinking in trying to kill off fracking?

Not going to wade through nine pages to see if this has been mentioned......

There's quite a bit of work going on towards introducing hydrogen into the UK gas network. OK, they are starting small scale in the next 12 months or so, but I would think that, if it's successful, then it would be able to be scaled up about as quickly as scaling up fracking wouldn't it?

On the plus side, if the Hydrogen works well, then any surplus will start to be available to power the next generations of cars.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced that battery powered cars are but a blip in the grand scheme of things. A stopgap until hydrogen comes on line. Quick to refuel at stations around the country.....very much like we do now with petrol.

Could this be part of the thinking in trying to kill off fracking?
I doubt it. The long term aim is to have a mix of gas in the network, made up of 20% Hydrogen, 90% Natural gas, so it won't do a lot for our gas dependency.
On top of that, I'm not entirely clear where this Hydrogen is meant to be coming from. Currently, in the UK, the vast bulk of Hydrogen is produced using steam methane reformation using Natural Gas. I suppose that electrolysis using electricity from renewables may be an option eventually, but I'm not sure that the renewables infrastructure is anywhere near being scaled up enough for this.

Lancashire's fracking sites won't be concreted over after all:

They've only drilled two wells. They will need to drill 15 - 20 wells before they will even know if it is economically recoverable.
It's a start, though. Certainly better than P&A.

They've only drilled two wells. They will need to drill 15 - 20 wells before they will even know if it is economically recoverable.
It's a start, though. Certainly better than P&A.
The objections in the Fylde were never about 'causing earthquakes' and,more about house values.

If you check on earthquakes/tremors in the UK, we have one of the highest rates in the World... not "earth shattering" but, fairly regularly.

The objections in the Fylde were never about 'causing earthquakes' and,more about house values.

If you check on earthquakes/tremors in the UK, we have one of the highest rates in the World... not "earth shattering" but, fairly regularly.

Don't move to Blackford (near Auchterarder)

ETA: Just had a look at the BGS Earthquake site, and Arran seems to be the hotspot at the moment. Probably the Great Glen fault.

I doubt it. The long term aim is to have a mix of gas in the network, made up of 20% Hydrogen, 90% Natural gas, so it won't do a lot for our gas dependency.
On top of that, I'm not entirely clear where this Hydrogen is meant to be coming from. Currently, in the UK, the vast bulk of Hydrogen is produced using steam methane reformation using Natural Gas. I suppose that electrolysis using electricity from renewables may be an option eventually, but I'm not sure that the renewables infrastructure is anywhere near being scaled up enough for this.
Great maths there ;)

But seriously the testing for a useful and accurate mix of hydrogen and methane has not gone well so far.

I believe the search in the North Sea is little more than a pause, in order to verify the number of advisories and offshore (sic) companies that will be in charge of the next three years of gas delivery, each one creaming off a bit and adding it to the consumer bill. In the meantime keeping our coal and gas reserves underground will only push prices higher as Europe wonders where their supplies will come from.

Of course I could ask Ofgas if this is in any way plausible.

(Oh ? there isn't one, just a combined energy regulatory board that is promoting leccy in the form of heat pumps, as advertised by the BBC)

Don't move to Blackford (near Auchterarder)

ETA: Just had a look at the BGS Earthquake site, and Arran seems to be the hotspot at the moment. Probably the Great Glen fault.
Amazing how little people know about the frequency of tremors in the UK ?

Latest Threads