UK Shale gas sites to be sealed - WTF?

Great maths there ;)

But seriously the testing for a useful and accurate mix of hydrogen and methane has not gone well so far.

I believe the search in the North Sea is little more than a pause, in order to verify the number of advisories and offshore (sic) companies that will be in charge of the next three years of gas delivery, each one creaming off a bit and adding it to the consumer bill. In the meantime keeping our coal and gas reserves underground will only push prices higher as Europe wonders where their supplies will come from.

Of course I could ask Ofgas if this is in any way plausible.

(Oh ? there isn't one, just a combined energy regulatory board that is promoting leccy in the form of heat pumps, as advertised by the BBC):D
Fat fingers on the iPad. I’m not really Dianne Abbott.:D

I had another brainfart. The seismic events near Arran are probably the Highland Boundary Fault (which bisects Arran), not the Great Glen Fault which is nowhere near there. :oops:

The objections in the Fylde were never about 'causing earthquakes' and,more about house values.

If you check on earthquakes/tremors in the UK, we have one of the highest rates in the World... not "earth shattering" but, fairly regularly.

Yup, and most of those complaining are rather well to do 'incomers'.
As I've mentioned before, I live about 10-15 mins from the site and it so small that you can miss it easily if you do didn't know it was there.
Bunch of nimbies.
*I grew up next to a gas works back when they were still burning oil to make gas!

Last edited:
A step in the right direction, hopefully fracking will resume, and cheaper home grown gas will eventually reach the hard pressed citizens of these islands.
In about ten years time but if we started when the Americans did then we would have it today.
Why are we so slow in the country? Once upon a time we were world leaders in almost everything.

In about ten years time but if we started when the Americans did then we would have it today.
Why are we so slow in the country? Once upon a time we were world leaders in almost everything.
We started back in the 60's,a number of those small scale fields are still producing.

It wasn't pursued,due to the escalation of production of N Sea oil and gas and, we were still mining and burning coal !

Not going to wade through nine pages to see if this has been mentioned......

There's quite a bit of work going on towards introducing hydrogen into the UK gas network. OK, they are starting small scale in the next 12 months or so, but I would think that, if it's successful, then it would be able to be scaled up about as quickly as scaling up fracking wouldn't it?

On the plus side, if the Hydrogen works well, then any surplus will start to be available to power the next generations of cars.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced that battery powered cars are but a blip in the grand scheme of things. A stopgap until hydrogen comes on line. Quick to refuel at stations around the country.....very much like we do now with petrol.

Could this be part of the thinking in trying to kill off fracking?
Where do you get your hydrogen from though?

I doubt it. The long term aim is to have a mix of gas in the network, made up of 20% Hydrogen, 90% Natural gas, so it won't do a lot for our gas dependency.
On top of that, I'm not entirely clear where this Hydrogen is meant to be coming from. Currently, in the UK, the vast bulk of Hydrogen is produced using steam methane reformation using Natural Gas. I suppose that electrolysis using electricity from renewables may be an option eventually, but I'm not sure that the renewables infrastructure is anywhere near being scaled up enough for this.
and if it is then why not just use that electricity directly rather than using it to make hydrogen?

BigBob101

War Hero
and if it is then why not just use that electricity directly rather than using it to make hydrogen?

When there's too little demand for electricity. Granted I can't see the economic case for overbuilding so much renewable generation that the "overflow" would he enough to make a dent in our gas needs.

Arguably it would make more sense in the Sahara or Mongolia etc.

Where do you get your hydrogen from though?

Only ideas, but I do think that production must be possible.

Would it not be possible to use the latent generating power at quiet times to split seawater? Wind will generate (when not becalmed) through the night. Nuclear will continue to generate, Hydro too.....use it all when it's quiet and then store the hydrogen in big tanks ready to be transported either into the gas network via pipelines or to garages (eventually) for hydrogen cars.

Expensive at first, without doubt, but eventually, I would think that economies of scale must come into play with it in the end.

No doubts that holes can be picked in all the above, but I'm just thinking out loud.

Bit more of a thread drift but all power related. We've just linked up with Norway so when the winds blowing we'll send excess electricity to Norway and on the rare occasion it stops Norway will send it back through hydro generated power. So if they've knocked up a cable for that why not go the whole hog and tap into Iceland's thermo power?

Apparently theirs all started with a farmer looking for a way to heat his home and now provides over 80% of all energy.

BigBob101

War Hero
Bit more of a thread drift but all power related. We've just linked up with Norway so when the winds blowing we'll send excess electricity to Norway and on the rare occasion it stops Norway will send it back through hydro generated power. So if they've knocked up a cable for that why not go the whole hog and tap into Iceland's thermo power?

Apparently theirs all started with a farmer looking for a way to heat his home and now provides over 80% of all energy.
It has been thought of before but 2 points against it.

1. It's a long way away meaning loss of energy on the transmission line. A decent bit further than Norway even (especially to Glasgow which is probably the nearest large power draw).

2. Iceland have got understandably annoyed at having their island ripped apart to provide power for Aluminium plants, I can see the same applying for powering the UK.

Not saying it won't happen one day mind but probably easier and more efficient to convince (pay) Norway to install another line. The main reason they don't want more is because it causes their electricity prices to go up.

This is the future.

Screenshot_20220401-121016_Chrome.jpg

Latest Threads