UK Shale gas sites to be sealed - WTF?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It's reported on Guido that Oil & Gas Authority has ordered Cuadrilla to permanently seal the shale gas wells drilled at the Lancashire shale exploration site, where there's an estimated 37.6 trillion cubic metres of gas located in the northern Bowland Shale gas formation will remain unexploited when UK imports of Natural Gas are expected to rise 80% by 2050.

All this at a time when the current PM needs an easy win or twelve to settle the troops; any bets on how long before this "courageous" direction is overturned?

the result that the 37.6 trillion cubic metres of gas located in the northern Bowland Shale gas formation will continue to sit unused – when just 10% of this volume could meet UK gas needs for 50 years.

Taking the above at face value, is it unreasonable to suggest such actions are tantamount to treason?

I thought gas - alongside nuclear - were now considered 'green' ?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
the result that the 37.6 trillion cubic metres of gas located in the northern Bowland Shale gas formation will continue to sit unused – when just 10% of this volume could meet UK gas needs for 50 years.

Taking the above at face value, is it unreasonable to suggest such actions are tantamount to treason?

Personally I think the extremely slim likelihood of losing Blackpool to a tsunami caused by earthquakes in the Irish Sea is a price worth paying, but then I've been there. In fact could we get Cuadrilla drill more holes to heighten the likelihood?

Not when as reported in August 2019, that the fracking process was causing minor 2.9 magnitude earthquakes, and older houses in the immediate area were feeling the effects. :eek:

Pagan-Image

War Hero
What kind of international emergency/war/[insert other here] is it going to take for the bleating liberal twunts to accept that WE NEED FOSSIL FUELS at least until clean options are trully viable.

We need to be self sufficient for the basic strategic needs of the country.

Tying ourselves to external markets for Gas (most of whom are supplied by Russia (oops)) is a failing philosophy.

Grrrr eco twuts Grrr

It's reported on Guido that Oil & Gas Authority has ordered Cuadrilla to permanently seal the shale gas wells drilled at the Lancashire shale exploration site, where there's an estimated 37.6 trillion cubic metres of gas located in the northern Bowland Shale gas formation will remain unexploited when UK imports of Natural Gas are expected to rise 80% by 2050.

All this at a time when the current PM needs an easy win or twelve to settle the troops; any bets on how long before this "courageous" direction is overturned?
Carrie doesn't like shale gas, etc.

She's keen on green. Luckily there is no current energy crisis and prices are tumbling.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

She's keen on green. Luckily there is no current energy crisis and prices are tumbling.
Carrie's going to be upset then (IMHO). When there's a crowd-pleasing open goal in front of him and he's behind in the polls, listening to his wife is unlikely to be high on Boris's agenda. He can always get another one...

More seriously, there's a lot of rubbish being touted about the influence of the current Mrs Johnson, mostly coming from single anonymous sources rather than being corroborated (but it's Carrie so the papers will print it anyway, a corollary of Boris Grrr), so I take her alleged influence with a pinch of salt.

The spin about Carrie may be just that, but there does seem to be quite a bit of it, seemingly from various sources.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The thought that some woke bint is influencing decisions on matters such as the OP, even at present unsubstantiated anecdotes, is concerning.
Er, I'm the OP and whilst I'm definitely "influenced" by Mrs TMW, I wouldn't ever call her woke, in fact according to Carol Adams she's a meat-eating white supremacist who supports the patriarchy (apart from me obvs).:smile:

Leaving that aside, why are unsubstantiated anecdotes concerning? That's just gossip.

Er, I'm the OP and whilst I'm definitely "influenced" by Mrs TMW, I wouldn't ever call her woke, in fact according to Carol Adams she's a meat-eating white supremacist who supports the patriarchy (apart from me obvs).:smile:

Leaving that aside, why are unsubstantiated anecdotes concerning? That's just gossip.

Yea I should have just typed 'original post' as folk usually think 'original poster' from OP, my bad.

There's frequently a kernel of truth to gossip, though I'm confident it's all just malicious hearsay and that BoJo's other half isn't influencing decisions that impact national security as that would just be ridiculous... Right..?

The spin about Carrie may be just that, but there does seem to be quite a bit of it, seemingly from various sources.

Indeed and while some may be fictitious political manoeuvring, some may be the personal animus of the players involved, the scale of shite being thrown does make me think of the old 'No smoke without fire'.

Being 'Cnut struck' is one thing, but 'pussy whipped', entirely another, I have sadly had a close family member and close friends who have been and still are 'pussy whipped', and the social destruction that causes is a constant dripping tap of corrosion.

edited for diction

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Shale gas works well enough in the good ole USA where there is plently of unoccupied space and the earth tremors caused by fracking can be ignored.

Unfortunately, the UK doesn't have any such areas other than maybe remote parts of Scotland - which don't have any viable shale gas deposits.

It was obvious (to me and my colleagues at least) the this was going to end in tears either with houses suffering structural damage, or else Cuadrilla getting hoofed.

One of the areas they identified for fracking was Ellesmere Port. Perfect for earthquakes as it has a concentration of oil refineries and major chemical works sitting right above the proposed fracking zone...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Shale gas works well enough in the good ole USA where there is plently of unoccupied space and the earth tremors caused by fracking can be ignored.

Unfortunately, the UK doesn't have any such areas other than maybe remote parts of Scotland - which don't have any viable shale gas deposits.

It was obvious (to me and my colleagues at least) the this was going to end in tears either with houses suffering structural damage, or else Cuadrilla getting hoofed.

One of the areas they identified for fracking was Ellesmere Port. Perfect for earthquakes as it has a concentration of oil refineries and major chemical works sitting right above the proposed fracking zone...
Fair point, and whilst creating huge instability in holes underneath Ellesmere Port's volatile industries probably isn't advisable, it has to be said from a point of national fuel security, having a few cottages in the Dales go wonky (cue compo claims) is probably a price worth paying IMHO.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Cite them.
No, please don't. Aside from a tangential mention that this is an open goal for Boris, the thread is supposed to be about Shale gas rather than another Boris/Bozo punch up.

But it's too late now.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer

Hmmm, I know what you're saying but the main focus for fracking is (was) the Forest of Bowland and there's not much there. In my opinion no-one would be permitted to start fracking anywhere near a population and industrial centre and it's not surprising that Cuardrilla has been turfed out of their current site.

Does fracking have the potential to cause damage to structures on the surface above operations - more, for example, than coal mining or quarrying? I don't know the answer so perhaps someone with that kind of knowledge can advise?

Fact is that we need to get our future energy streams sorted out sharpish and I can't really see much crisis management going on. Or maybe I've missed it. The only item of worth lately is a proposal for a massive solar farm north of Stamford in south Lincolnshire. Locals are up in arms about it because the area surrounds the railway cutting where the Mallard broke the world speed record for a steam locomotive before WW2.

Fracking, again in my opinion, is needed before the new nuclear power stations and underwater tide turbines start power generation. Either that or recommission some of the 'resting' coal fired power stations because we certainly can't be reliant on wind power. (Or can we)?

If Carrie doesn't get her way, then Mr Dickie-wickie doesn't get a good mouthwash for the next few nights

1644499819561.png

Latest Threads