UK Sergeant stranded in Kenya-UK row over death.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Snail, Jan 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The article says that a civilian was shot. It also says the base is used to prepare troops for Afghanistan.

It's nice to see the training is authentic.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Well we've definately moved on from covering hexy blocks in jam / chocolate and giving them to the kids to eat

• Like Like x 1
  3. RezzaDue

RezzaDue Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I know the bloke in question and he is a top soldier! Also from what I heard, the group were poachers and deserved what they got. It's unfortunate that kenyans have a shoot to kill policy on poachers yet they wont let trained soldiers in the area help with the problem!

4. Strange when you remember that when my Dad was in Kenya killing people, they wanted him out of the country as quickly as possible!

• Like Like x 5
  5. Jomo Kenyatta walt.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hopefully it's just political wrangling and they'll let him go back to the UK soon.

It might be a case of "Out of the frying pan, into the fire" though. I'd advise your friend to get himself a solicitor in preparation for any legal proceedings that will take place under UK jurisdiction.

7. Sounds like one for the "Memories of Kenya" thread. :)

8. Bet our favourite Human Rights lawyer will be there to slap a lawsuit on this bloke as soon as he steps off the plane. Will probably claimed he raped him before shooting him too! I suppose the guy who died was only armed to protect himself from the nasty Imperialist Oppressors????

• Like Like x 2
  9. Why waste choc un jam on army Kendal Cakes the kids in Kuwait in 90s loved them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RezzaDue

I reckon this will bother him for quite a long time so he'll want to get a lawyer asap if he hasnt done so already. I also wonder where he is being held and in what condition

Sent from my GT-S5830 using ARRSE mobile app

11. The article states that he's on the British base so he's most likely confined to camp. I bet he's bored out of his skull.

12. RezzaDue

Didnt read the article at all as i didnt have time, just saw the tittle and looked for a name.
    Cheers for the info though.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using ARRSE mobile app

13. The Kenyan authorities are incapable of policing their own backyards and this sort of thing is the fallout. Good luck to the bloke as it could of been a sadder story if the poachers had got the drop on him. 1PARA circa 2001 had a young tom casevaced out the country for surgery after nearly losing his life to poachers and I'm sure other units could tell similar stories.

If push comes to shove then Kenya isn't irreplaceable as a training area. I'm sure we could arrange similar training establishments somewhere on the African continent or failing that, use the funds to revamp the skeleton crewed facilities in Belize.

• Like Like x 1