UK selects 7.62 mm Sharpshooter weapon for Afghan ops

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Skynet, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. UK selects 7.62 mm Sharpshooter weapon for Afghan ops
    By Andrew White
    29 December 2009

The L129A1 will provide UK forces with a sharpshooting capability to combat insurgents out to 800 m (LEI)

UK forces are to receive a semi-automatic 7.62 mm x 51 mm 'sharpshooter' weapon to combat Taliban forces engaging beyond the maximum effective range of the 5.56 mm L85A2 assault rifle.

In a USD2.5 million deal the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has contracted Law Enforcement International (LEI) to supply 440 LM7 semi-automatic rifles.

The urgent operational requirement follows calls from troops on the ground for a weapon that can be comfortably patrolled with, can be rapidly initiated and provide an increased range for contacts out to 800 m.

To be redesignated the L129A1, the gas-operated weapon carries a 20-round magazine, is 945 mm long and weighs 5 kg. It will be manufactured by Lewis Machine & Tool Company in the United States, with deliveries expected to begin in early 2010.
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

So why not just put a decent scope on an SLR and use that?
  3. Because the SLR isn't accurate enough.

Can't some of you people get your heads out of the stone age?
  4. Smudge - how dare you! The outrage bus will be out if you say things like that :p (i.e - the truth)
  5. I know I know! The novelty of using a brand new weapons system, that doesn't involve reinventing an old 7.62mm piece of tin that the old and crustys swear by on here. The SLR was average at best as a rifle.
  6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

burn the witch
  7. :wink:
  8. Smudge, you realise you have killed off at least 3 old and bolds via cardiac arrest with that statement? :D
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

And some of us still didn't get that issued sense of humour? Not everything is deadly deadly serious grumpy one.
  10. Quality. Should I etch 3 more lines on my old SLR butt? Could someone kindly post the ears to me. I'll pay postage.
  11. :D
  12. Why not? We're not talking about a sniper rifle. A decent 'scope and decent firer should be able to pull it off up to 800m.
  13. Let me think. The weight, accuracy, overall standard, and materials (to name but a few) used in todays firearms are all superior.

Bar that, the SLR is perfect :roll:
  14. :wink: