UK seeks strategic relationship with India

ugly

LE
I don't get it, does this relationship mean we have to pay India more in international aid or less?
Hopefully less but even so it should mean that we actually get something back for our money!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't get it, does this relationship mean we have to pay India more in international aid or less?
The way things are, it's probably about the UK getting aid from India.

ugly

LE
Its so grim at the moment I have considered posts in India, at least they are investing across their infrastructure instead of a couple of big ticket items like us. In fact India is seeing inward investment like in Oz!

Rayc

RIP
RIP
I think it is time that India looks after it own. If they can't do so, then they might as well sink.

If the growth is 9%, then why take the aid even if it for heath and rural poor. Or is it a case of not looking at a gift horse in the mouth?

This new report sort of sums up the issue.

Cut in DFID aid not a concern for India
Sreelatha Menon / New Delhi July 16, 2010, 0:46 IST

India will not shed tears if the British government makes a “fundamental change” in its development aid policy and scale down the £250-million annual aid to India.

Following the demand to cut British aid to India from a wide spectrum of people and political parties in Britain, international development secretary Andrew Mitchell had said last week that the “£250 million of public money spent annually on nuclear-armed India could be scaled back.”

India amounted for £300 million of the £6 billion Department for International Development (DFID) aid fund annually. However, Mitchell observed that India didn’t really need British development aid as the rich NRI population of Britain could do more to help their countrymen. DFID is the biggest source of development aid in India after Japan.

Almost 66 per cent of the grant given to India by DFID goes to the government: to fund the health ministry’s Reproductive Child Health and HIV and AIDS programmes (42 per cent) and the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (24 per cent). The remaining amount is shared by the Rural Livelihood Programmes in four states and the Poorest Areas Civil Society (PACS) programme.

Indian activists say access to DFID funds is contingent on hiring consultants, mostly British. “When they (DFID) give money they send their own consultants. The way they handle it, it would be better if they didn’t give anything,” said Harsh Jaitley who heads VANI, a network of 2000 NGOs.

Echoing Jaitley’s views Anil Chaudhury, activist and founder of NGO Peace and Action Centre (PEACE), said agreements signed by DFID (and other agencies) have inbuilt clauses that ensure that a chunk of the money was paid to consultancies — a large proportion of these bodies are run by expatriates to ensure that the money flows back into the British economy.....

More at:
Link
Notwithstanding, India should not overlook the Typhoon for other political and strategic reason and go for the US, French or Russian aircraft.
Air Force MRCA Deal - Eurofighter Typhoon Ahead on Technical Parameters
Typhoon

The Indian Air Force Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) Competition, commonly known as the MRCA Tender, is an ongoing competition to supply the Indian Air Force with 126 Multi-Role Combat Aircraft. The Defence Ministry has allocated Indian Rupee ₹42,000 crore (US$9.11 billion) for the purchase of these aircraft.

aberspr

Old-Salt
I hope if we're buying any kit off them the QA is a bit better than when we bought 9mm ammo from them. I know a former ATO who was responsible for sorting that out, it was apparently genuinely awful. Before my time but I'm assured that anyone who had the displeasure of shooting any of it wouldn't have forgotten.

ugly

LE
Well thats what happens you dont apply proper batch sampling. Or maybe it is and its been blown out of proportion. Either way the ammo didnt get onto ops if I recall correctly only ranges!

I think this is very definitely A Good Idea. It just makes good common sense - we have an awful lot of links to India: historic, cultural, sporting, constitutional, etc, together with significant diasporas in each others countries.

Such an arrangement would have serious mutual benefits, and would most certainly provide a shot in the arm to the British economy and waning Influence. If we're closer engaged with India, wouldn't this allow the US to focus more closely in Pak as well? I'm struggling to see a serious downside.

If India is currently casting around, looking for a strat ally that isn't the US or remainder of BRIC, then we would be complete buffoons to ignore them. [looks at quality of typical Brit politician] Doh!

...and as for making similar overtures to Russia or China, that would be A Very Bad Idea Indeed. They are the bad guys, after all.

Pork_Pie

War Hero
Rayc,

sorry to go off topic, but have a couple of questions about India.

How is the relationship with Israel these days? I understand you were pretty friendly, but Israel has sold some kit to China, has this been an issue in India?

I've heard that some Indians think the Russians have taken them for granted, and assume India will always buy a lot of Russian kit. Is the move to buy kit from the west partly a message to the Russians that there's competition?

Rayc

RIP
RIP
Rayc,

sorry to go off topic, but have a couple of questions about India.

How is the relationship with Israel these days? I understand you were pretty friendly, but Israel has sold some kit to China, has this been an issue in India?

I've heard that some Indians think the Russians have taken them for granted, and assume India will always buy a lot of Russian kit. Is the move to buy kit from the west partly a message to the Russians that there's competition?
The Israeli India relationship is very good, especially in the defence procurement realm.

Certain weapon systems desired by India of Israel were not permitted by the US.

Even during the 1971 War, when India did not have diplomatic relations with Israel, Lt Gen Jacob (He is a Jew from Calcutta) went to Israel and obtained some weaponry.

It is correct that Israel sold weapons to China. I believe the US has influenced Israel to quit selling any more to China.

As far as the Russia weaponry is concerned, since much of the weaponry is Russian, the infrastructure to maintain etc are already in place and hence there will be Russian weaponry being bought. From the geostrategic standpoint, it is also important for India (and even the US) that Russia does not make inroads into Pakistan, if left high and dry by India.
Then there is the China factor. During the 1962 Conflict with China, Russia did not side China under the influence of Indian defence requirements which was large and which was supplied by the USSR. If Russia joins China and Pakistan, it would make the geostrategic situation tilt heavily against the interest of the US and the West.

India has a Nuclear deal with the US and the Navy has bought some naval crafts from the US. That apart, the US strategic interest in the Indian Ocean and in the North draws India on a common strategic platform. The US has removed restrictions that it had earlier in Space and Missile Technology. In short, the US has quite a large stake in India.

India and UK closed a 700-million pound (about Rs 5,500 crore) military deal to acquire 57 additional Hawk advanced jet trainer for the Indian Air Force and Navy, in two separate contracts. Earlier, HAWK has been bought too!

India opting for BAE's advanced Hawk100 series is said to have safeguarded 5,000 British jobs, including 2,200 at Brough, East Yorkshire, where the plane is built. The Indian deal gives the plant up to six years' work.

Given Britain's 'insular' geostrategic policy, one wonders if Britain is keen on opting for any geostrategic influence in South Asia.

I am not aware of the 9mm amn issue, but it would be surprising it they were duds. Our Army has been spared this problem so far.

That will sit will in the mosques of the islamic republic of Bradfordistan, we can expect trouble.

Perhaps we should blow the rabble rousers from the guns!

I am not aware of the 9mm amn issue, but it would be surprising it they were duds. Our Army has been spared this problem so far.
Ancient history my friend (1970's). The fill was nor consistent and therefore occassionally underpowered. Highly annoying but no great shakes in a pistol. However from a Sterling SMG when the open bolt wasn'r sent back far enough a runaway firing automatics was ....... interesting :)

Hope it works out. Also hope it goes beyond defence and we get some Indian cultural centres here. I fancy learning some Hindi at subsidised rates.

Rayc

RIP
RIP
Ancient history my friend (1970's). The fill was nor consistent and therefore occassionally underpowered. Highly annoying but no great shakes in a pistol. However from a Sterling SMG when the open bolt wasn'r sent back far enough a runaway firing automatics was ....... interesting :)
I would consider sending poor amn a damned shame.

Someone's head should have rolled.

These days we have a very active media and the govt and their agencies are running scared!

Rayc

RIP
RIP
Hope it works out. Also hope it goes beyond defence and we get some Indian cultural centres here. I fancy learning some Hindi at subsidised rates.
While it is laudable for the British to try to understand other cultures, but from the posts in this forum, I get a feeling that immigrants are somewhat slow or totally indifferent to understand British culture and that is a damned shame too!

One must learn to give and take. If someone immigrates, then one should understand the culture and try to assimilate it.

If you know English, you will not find a problem in India, even if you have a problem with those who have emigrated to the UK.:)

ugly

LE
Yes I agree, in France all immigrants speak french or dont get served or help with transalation. here we roll over and fund your interpreters needed or not and it costs money and keeps people seperate which is a shame as knowing many immigrants and their kids through work they are generally a good laugh and as assimilated as can be whilst still keeping their customs alive, apart from burning widows, for some reason its frowned upon!

I would consider sending poor amn a damned shame.

Someone's head should have rolled.

These days we have a very active media and the govt and their agencies are running scared!
It was what it was :) India wasn't the first place to sell us dodgy ammo. GW1 and the 500lb Spanish Mk 82 bombs springs to mind as a later incident.

So does this mean we'll be giving our new shiny aircraft carrier to India?

So does this mean we'll be giving our new shiny aircraft carrier to India?
They'll get it one way or another, either to lord it up on the high seas, or to break it up on the beach.

What I ask is what use to India is a pact with a nation which will shortly be unable to defend itself against the roaming gangs of pikey theives, let alone play superpower pissing matches against China and her lovely Moslem allies.

Latest Threads