UK seeks strategic relationship with India

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Yeoman_dai, Feb 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Possibly. Or perhaps one where both sides see a potential win-win. After all we've got previous form, which could have been worse. Would you rather watch the Russians win from the sidelines; hope for scraps from Uncle Sam's table, or try to retain some indigenous capacity in the UK? A Minister stepping up to broadcast that having the UK as a friend has value. Shock horror. No offence, but it makes a pleasant change from Benign Neglect.
  2. About time. We need to be branching out in this increasingly mutipolar world. A strategic relationship with India will do us wanders a few decades down the line.

We need to step back from the USA a bit and start doing some more of this. We should also be branching out to Brazil, China and even (Shock horror) Russia.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well seeing they have all of our kit, even the stuff that isnt ours we have probably paid for and lets face it they still are a large army whhere we struggle to be a defence force! Lets pat them on the back and let them kill all the somali pirates!
  4. That's the spirit Gent's. 10 out of 10 for enthusiasm. We're already involved in flogging vastly overpriced yacht's to Russian oligarch's. They've grown up on a diet of black market James Bond DVD's and know that we do "Baddie" gear better than anyone. If memory serve me right the Indians have previous form in that part of the world, Ugly. With whazzis name, Sir Alf Garnett Wolseley. Clear win to the away team.
  5. I'm all in favour of it. It's about time we built something on the commonwealth other than rhetoric and embassy cake and arse parties.
  6. Well, since they've already bought out our steel industry, our last car maker and about to buy one of our larger oil refineries...why not sell 'em the rest?
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As long as we are not invading Kashmir next month then it can only be good!
  8. A fair point. I've had some involvement on the periphery of it. The generic view was that we were the ones that were dicking about, content to keep it all style over substance.
    Tell me some more about these arse parties. I 've been to a few and had precious little arse (none!); even when the matelot's were invited/hosting. What am I doing wrong?
  9. Good. Glad to hear it.

My only questions are, "Do they want it and on what terms?" I suspect the Indian elite are rather less nostalgic about the Raj and rather more pragmatic about the future than we.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
  10. ^There is plenty of mutual benefit to be had. I see no reason why they would oppose this.
  11. It depends on how pragmatic they're prepared to be. There's still a lot of raw feeling among their elite when it comes to dealing with the former colonial overlords.

I agree there's much benefit to be had for both parties, but let's bot get too nostalgic for the good old days lest we forget they looked different from the other side.

If it's been sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
  12. That should keep your other ally in the region and there enemy happy (Pakistan).
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We have a history (recent too) of keeping alliances with two nations at war alive, see Turkey and Greece for proof of NATO duplicity!
  14. What next. Postings out to India to train with the Indian Army?? Better get my Granpaw's First World War 'Book of Indian Army Hindi' phrases dusted off.....