UK reveals scope of 'Seedcorn' maritime patrol project

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by sunnoficarus, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the mean time we are blind.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. That's nice. And whose patrolling our waters for us again?
  3. Ze Russians ;P
    • Like Like x 2
  4. So, if we knock that money, and the millions they spent smashing up the finished Nimrods, how much a year did we save to lose Britains maritime security? How's that compare to the millions we waste giving India aid they don't want?
    • Like Like x 3

5. No, unlike us they're not wasting it - they've just used some of it to buy 12 P-8 Poseidons from Boeing...

Oh, the irony!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. No martime patrol asests? That's all right, it's not like we live on an island is it?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Either the nimrod was the greatest thing since slice bread or a moneypit of horror tat was never going to fly.
    Thevabilitybto hunt subs might be a bit meh but having something that can stooge about are rather wet environs rather important
  8. Probably the worst outcome of the SDSR - the loss of the UK MPA capability.

However, the Japs are about to build several of these (was 80, then 60, now looks like around 20)

Kawasaki P-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Four engined, 4500 mile range - lovely.

I'm sure if we asked nicely, they'd extend the production run. Could even fit them out with the avionics developed for the MRA4....
  9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

It's been disucssed on here before: a purpose-built, four-engined MPA. What's not to like, Japanese restrictions on armament exports notwithstanding?

Unfortunately, I suspect that all paths lead to P-8. When we've finally got any bloody money to play with.
  10. 33 blokes... I assume the name 'seedcorn' was picked for a reason.

I like the 'fly by light' concept too.

Wasn't tere a prototype car which had a fibre optic loom with DC cables attached? The idea was that everything on the 'network' would have it's own 'ID' and adding bits to the system wouldn't be too problematic...

I don't think the idea was to bring it in to car production, just test a theory.
  11. Indeed - what's not to like - it's Nimrod MRA4 done right (well, the airframe anyway). I'm sure there would be a way around the export restrictions.
    Could be the basis of a pretty decent platform. The P-8 is good, but has a lot of restrictions.
  12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hmmm - buying Japanese . . . . if we could sneak around the weapons export restrictions by emphasising it's a PATROL arcraft, and buy it "fitted for but not with" the ASW weapons, we might end up with something smaller, cheaper, that starts every morning, runs reliably for years and has lots of blinking lights and "mode" buttons that nobody every really understands the point of because it does everything you need without messing with them. Or is that just everything else the Japanese make?
    • Like Like x 1