UK regret over Falklands dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Lesleycape, Apr 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Britain has expressed "continuing regret" over the deaths on both sides in the Falklands conflict.
    Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett released a statement on the eve of Monday's 25th anniversary of the Argentine invasion of the islands.

She said families of dead Argentine personnel could hold a commemorative event on the islands later this year.

Over 900 people died during the 74-day war, including 255 British servicemen, 655 Argentines and three islanders.

'Fitting tribute'

Argentina's invasion, on 2 April 1982, followed friction between the two countries dating back to 1833, when Britain claimed the islands in the south Atlantic.

Argentine forces surrendered on June 14, 1982.

Mrs Beckett said commemorative events in the UK and Falklands would be a "fitting and respectful tribute" to those killed.

The statement added: "The UK remains keen to foster a constructive relationship with Argentina, and to promote practical co-operation both in the South Atlantic and on broader issues of international co-operation."

"We have now, with the agreement of the Falkland Islands Government, offered members of families of the Argentine armed forces who fell in 1982 the opportunity to travel to the Islands towards the end of 2007 to hold a private commemorative event at the Argentine cemetery in Darwin."

Tony Blair has said going to war over the Falklands took "political courage" and was "the right thing to do".

Interviewed for the Downing Street website last month he said there had been a "principle at stake".

Shadow foreign secretary William Hague welcomed arrangements for relatives of the Argentine dead to visit the Falklands.

He said: "It is absolutely right to work for improved co-operation with Argentina.

But he said it was important to remember the war "was the result of an unprovoked act of aggression."

"It was the heroism of the gallant British armed services that ensured the right to self determination of the Falkland islanders and the maintenance of international law", he said.

Okay, maybe my memory is a bit rusty, but WHY are we the ones expressing regret.

The Argentinians illegally invaded the Falklands, and then imprisioned many of the inhabitants. Not once have the Argentinian government or people apologised to the people of the Falkland Islands for the trauma and stress that they put them under.

Isn't it about time that they did?
  2. Its Britain that apologizes for everything..look at the slave trade fiasco that we actually helped end.
  3. As PTP says... regret is not an apology...

I regret every soldiers death... both sides... in every conflict (although it's easier with the ones deep in the past.)

And if I regret them... then so should the politicos.
  4. So what next then?

An oily labour spokesthing said next week "marks the Nth anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz The resulting loss of life on both sides is a source of continuing regret.
    Oh an we also regret all deaths caused during the Battle of Britain, invasion of Germany and the bombing of Japan (even though that wasn't us we want to grovel that way a bit as well)......

Has there been a massive spinectomy performed on all of our so called leaders?
  5. I read a good book about this as my old man was out in the falklands and I remember as a child collecting a scrap book of snippets. It is in fact very dubious who has the rights of the Island as it has been debated for years since the Spanish left Argentina etc etc something like the 17th century.

They tried to take it back we defended our people living on the Island and unfortunately with all things like this we paid the price.

As with Baldricks comment, it's a bad price to pay and I sure as hell wouldn't anyone to die but they do, it's up to us to remember why and to inspire good to come from it - Maybe next time someone will listen.

I think in closing if the forces hadn't have gone out then we would have regretted the upheaval of the Islands residence and losing a political victory, which I believe was needed to retain a lot of the forces throught the 80's and 90's.
  6. And for those who even a couple of years after the end of the war, talked to the islanders, ate their choccy cake and sat on their cat (accidentally), there was still immense gratitude from them and some still showed the scars both mental and physical of what was an illegal occupation.

It was regrettable that so many died but what was not regrettable was the islands were cleared of an army of occupation.
  7. God save the Queen!
  8. At the risk of regretting this question, might I ask if there is a story there?

9. Unfortunately the cat died without dictating its memoirs so my story will never be told.

Regrettably and/or fortunately, depending on your point of view.
  10. Anybody dying is shoite but I'm just not interested in this worthless excuse for a Foreign minister even having an opinion on it
  11. I am thinking of researching my family tree, to see if any died in the fire of London or the black death, as I am sure I can make the government pay me compensation for my loss if I rattle enough sabres!
  12. I'm with PTP on this one. Expressing regret is nothing like an apology. It is not saying we regret our actions, just that we regret that people had to die in that conflict. It is very reasonable to regret the loss of life, on either side, over any issue.
  13. Much as I hate to show any support for the waste of skin currently occupying the post of Foreign Secretary.

*Liberal mode on* One of the definitions of regret is 'to bemoan or grieve the death or loss of [something]'. Should there not be regret for the death of anyone in conflict? Regret, at least, that we had to resort to armed conflict to resolve a dispute? Granted we aren't always given a choice in the matter but there is no shame in expressing regret that an escalation of circumstances lead to loss of life.

I feel regret that Hitler didn't give in to international pressure and that the resulting conflict cost the lives of millions. That doesn't mean that I am apologising for the deaths of enemy soldiers at the hands of the British. *Liberal mode off*
  14. Perhaps they families of the 'brave' argie dead would like to see just how much of a sh!thole their sons left the place - perhaps they could dna test the turds that were left on the floor and take them away!

Argie scum are Argie scum and they should be reminded of that fact before they every leave their fascist safeheaven to visit the FI.

1. It took them 150 years to be bothered to invade.
    2. They were soo sooooo bothered to keep the islands they jacked it in with the seniors running faster than an Italian when asked to help hold the line by a German.
    3. Their scummy navy LEFT the Belgrano survivours to freeze to death and run home to port BUNCH OF GUTLESS W@NKERS!