• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

UK ranked top in measurement of diplomatic and cultural clout

The picture of the Red Arrows does point to the role HM Forces play in both hard and soft power. Likewise diplomatic visits by warships - doing Procedure Alpha and holding things such as cocktail parties, with visitors being piped aboard, or exercises by all the Services are part of this, as are defence attaches, Guards of Honour for visiting Heads of State, providing places on training courses...

The Monarchy, other Government departments, industry, educational institutions, NGOs and charities are all involved. However, this underlines my concern about the perceived decline in integrity.

Last edited:
Missus Kwin also swings a pretty heavy bat in that regard. Even as a Japie one has a lot of time for Her Maj.

I'm only surprised that this is seen in some way as being notable.
After all, being British almost inevitably bestows an innate superiority upon that person, apart from the oiks of course.
Add to that our sense of history & (now sadly gone) place as controller of the greatest Empire the world has ever seen & it's only natural for us to hold this place upon the world stage.

1whistle.gif

ugly

LE
No metric of how this is measured or against what? Seems like page filling

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs

The picture of the Red Arrows does point to the role HM Forces play in both hard and soft power. Likewise diplomatic visits by warships - doing Procedure Alpha and holding things such as cocktail parties, with visitors being piped aboard, or exercises by all the Services are part of this, as are defence attaches, Guards of Honour for visiting Heads of State, providing places on training courses...

The Monarchy, other Government departments, industry, educational institutions, NGOs and charities are all involved. However, this underlines my concern about the perceived decline in integrity.
I was a bit confused with the ‘it was a surprise due to the brexit negotiations’ comment.

We’ve always been quite high up on these things.

ugly

LE
so a UK publication claiming to be impartial and also saying how great we are is a surprise? Have we found the Daily Mail training school?

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
so a UK publication claiming to be impartial and also saying how great we are is a surprise? Have we found the Daily Mail training school?
The topics covered fall into the category of soft power. A measure that the U.K. continually scores high on if not leads the way on the global scale.

It does not tell me anything about the mechanism used for testing the nations mentioned. I half expected it to be a BBC page, due to the shoddyness of reporting, but ukdj? Bees are in the what now? An online news paper thats tagline is 'impartial'. Come on.

From the other end of the telescope, I see how the UK is regarded overseas. Locals will sell their children for medical experiments to get an invitation to a QBP or a CP on a visiting warship. And the number of calIs I would receive to facilitate visas to the UK or access to british education (which I had no influence over). And the absolute desire - over anything else - of heads of government to have a grip and grin with a 92 year old great grandmother.

We are prima inter pares amongst like minded nations when it comes to exercising soft power; we are not as good as exploiting it, sadly.

ugly

LE
Have to say our soft power is waning by the day. While we have some decent Mil bling and the odd band to jazz up HMs birthday every few years in our overseas, slowly decaying, left over colonial pads; we simply don't compete with a multitude of other nations who spend money on stuff what dodgy governments like, are not afraid to use bribes as policy, have reasonable economic clout and threaten to use it and quite frankly throw parties that make our watered down gin, passable canapés and insistence on neck ties look decidedly dated. Yes everyone likes visiting pretty ships with pretty sailors - but they prefer being felt up by the Chinese; as the bulge in their pockets left behind is made of cash.

Have to say our soft power is waning by the day. While we have some decent Mil bling and the odd band to jazz up HMs birthday every few years in our overseas, slowly decaying, left over colonial pads; we simply don't compete with a multitude of other nations who spend money on stuff what dodgy governments like, are not afraid to use bribes as policy, have reasonable economic clout and threaten to use it and quite frankly throw parties that make our watered down gin, passable canapés and insistence on neck ties look decidedly dated. Yes everyone likes visiting pretty ships with pretty sailors - but they prefer being felt up by the Chinese; as the bulge in their pockets left behind is made of cash.
My bold:

That's what makes it soft power, we're seen as fair, diplomatic and therefore, influential.

Or possibly we are seen as a reasonable source of watered down gin and serious chats happen in other embassies....or the private function room in the best hotel in town.....or over a decent meal not limited to c£7 per head.... Fair and diplomatic only matter to other fair and diplomatic countries - any playing that game as serious foreign policy are as ineffectual as us and we really shouldn't bother with them. At the risk of being mildly critical - but I've watched us usurped in influence across a number of countries because we don't seem to have a foreign policy of note and we certainly don't fund our attempts at influence. Influence is a tiered system, if you are not at the top, you are not really influencing well and you are likely finding your influence routinely trumped by someone higher in the game. or something. Id maintain soft power is naught if not constructed from a financial or beneficial resource linked offer. I think we are seen as naive, dated, mildly eccentric and a touch condescending; but a good touch for aid money and decent company!

Or possibly we are seen as a reasonable source of watered down gin and serious chats happen in other embassies....or the private function room in the best hotel in town.....or over a decent meal not limited to c£7 per head.... Fair and diplomatic only matter to other fair and diplomatic countries - any playing that game as serious foreign policy are as ineffectual as us and we really shouldn't bother with them. At the risk of being mildly critical - but I've watched us usurped in influence across a number of countries because we don't seem to have a foreign policy of note and we certainly don't fund our attempts at influence. Influence is a tiered system, if you are not at the top, you are not really influencing well and you are likely finding your influence routinely trumped by someone higher in the game. or something. Id maintain soft power is naught if not constructed from a financial or beneficial resource linked offer. I think we are seen as naive, dated, mildly eccentric and a touch condescending; but a good touch for aid money and decent company!
You seem to have an incredibly narrow definition of what soft power actually means. It consists of slightly more than an occasional diplomatic bun fight.

You seem to have an incredibly narrow definition of what soft power actually means. It consists of slightly more than an occasional diplomatic bun fight.
According to that guff the Premier League is one of our major Soft Power assets yet DFID and the millions we waste on credit cards for opium farmers and terrorists in Pakistan etc doesn't even get a mention.