UK Proposes All Paychecks Go to the State First

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ruckerwocman, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The UK's tax collection agency is putting forth a proposal that all employers send employee paychecks to the government, after which the government would deduct what it deems as the appropriate tax and pay the employees by bank transfer."

Full article is News Headlines here.

:omg: This seems worrying to me. I'm not sure I'd appreciate the government getting a chance to take their cut from my pay before I get a chance to see it. We have withholding here in the US but at least the employer pays us at the end of the pay period (less deductions) instead of sending the gross amount to the government for "deduction of an appropriate amount". How much will the government decide is enough to deduct and how much will the government deign to return to the serfs? :?

2. I think you'll find that was a pisstake by one of the papers over here, something along the lines of "the government would prefer it if you paid them all your money and then they would take what they needed", or something along those lines.
    Looks like someone got the wrong end of the stick and reported it that way.
    Of course, the way the UK is going, it wouldn't surprise me if some junior ******** at the HMRC stuck this in a memo and it was actually picked up as a "good idea" by the ex-dustbin collector who now runs the place.

Oh, and if there were such a thing in this country, they would call them pay cheques.

3. First mention of this, IIRC, was in Littlejohn Daily Mail page. I'll probably regret saying this, but I think there's a limit even to the stupidity of the the UK Gub'mint and Civil Service. Not even these fcuktards would seriously propose this kind of insanity...would they?

4. According to the current Private Eye, the idea is being proposed and is in consultation at the moment. after the present fiasco I can't see it happening, but hey-ho who cares when the CS is so used to throwing good money after bad at consulants.

5. Can you imagine the utter cock-up trying to question mistakes with your pay? If this ever happened, it would confirm that the loonies had taken over the asylum.

6. "This document contains a lot of good ideas. But the idea that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs should be trusted with the gross pay of employees is not one of them" Richard Baron, Head of Taxation at the Institute of Directors, said in the release.

Agree. Enough said. Don't even go down that path it will be EXPENSIVE.

7. Who could trust the Revenue and Customs to carry out this task now, following the fiasco of losing 25million addresses/bank details, and the more recent scandal of over/undercharging tax. If HM Revenue and Customs want to know what to work on, its to regain the trust of the taxpayer, as its not an organisation that is exactly covered in glory at the moment.

8. If they tried this, I reckon the public response would make the Poll Tax Riots look like a scrap outside a chip shop.

9. Its a plot by the Civil Service they know they've got to make massive cutbacks in staff, so instead of sacking them they move them around to another Department/Ministry. Cue HMRC.

10. I noted the UK is now using some of the same ones our current masters are using--I would hold on tightly to your wallets if so.

11. That's ****ing nuts, has to be a joke?

12. I can easily imagine that this is a PFI proposal document produced by a consortium of PWC and one of the IT firms who produced such great IT systems such as the ones at the DfT, NHS, HMRC, etcetera et-bloody-cetera.

Some Whitehall mandarin will sign-off on it and 3 years later retire and be given a seat on the board of one of the companies.

13. I do seem to remember someone saying that if everyone paid the right amount of tax there'd be an extra 7bn a year... maybe someones had an YAGI

14. If you read the article, they link direct to the HMRC document that proposes this:

It's one of those ideas that sounds great if you take a blinkered view of the tax system alone. For an employee, it would make little visible difference. For an employer, it would make life easier and save money.

However, viewed in the wider perspective, it's quite frightening. The idea of every single person in the country being paid directly by the state is a giant leap towards communism. It's one step away from redistributing wealth on a massive scale. It would also mean that a failure could have catastrophic consquences. HMRC's tax collection systems go down regularly and it's not a huge problem - but a failure of this system on the 25th of the month would potentially mean people going without food, gas or electricity.

I wouldn't worry. For the reasons above, it will never happen. Until Labour get in again...

15. Plus, philosophically it is a Paul Krugman-esque (in his current loopy incarnation) concept that all your money belongs to the state, hence why it should be paid to them 1st.

Taking this further, if all your wages inherently belong to the state, and your wages are compensation for your time, labour, and productivity, then these also inherently belong to the state. IE YOU belong to the state.

But it is not a new idea: who insisted in 1965 that, "theoretically there is nothing that can stop the government from taxing 100% of income so long as the people get benefits from the government commensurate with their income which is taxed."?